Diesel Place banner
81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Latest:
So I am always on farcebook looking for deals on Dmax parts and I found a complete engine for $800 in New Hampshire. Guy had it from a 05 2500HD.
It had bad wiring issues and was never able to get it started and couldn't even get the dash to light up so he parted it out, couldn't find out mileage.
Checking it out I found it's had wiring repairs around the FICM, a couple of injector pigtails replaced, new starter and alternator. Turns over fine and has compression.
So plan is to rip out the other engine and put this one in and hookup enough stuff to get it running and see how it sounds. If anything I will have a bunch of spare parts.
I did get the replacement valve cover for the other engine, but I broke the valve cover and 2 more injector hold down bolts, so I decided to yank it out. I wish this one on farcebook had shown up sooner.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Got her yanked out. Tomorrow I should have replacement sitting between the frame rails.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I hate breaking bolts and glow plugs that won't come out easily argh 🤬 🤬 🤬

I am going to put the original engine back in once I fix what needs to be done and save
the other engine for parts.
Going to get the l/s bank injectors checked out before I put them back in just to make sure.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I hate breaking bolts and glow plugs that won't come out easily argh 🤬 🤬 🤬

I am going to put the original engine back in once I fix what needs to be done and save
the other engine for parts.
Going to get the l/s bank injectors checked out before I put them back in just to make sure.

View attachment 644660
You're fast becoming an expert on extracting broken bolts. Strong work and keep on keeping on, you will prevail!

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Whoever thought having a steel bolt go through an aluminum valve cover would be fine should be beaten with a stick. 3 of the 4 bolts holding these injectors in broke. (see pic)
I broke the valve cover on the original engine trying to get it off and need this valve cover
off my parts engine.

Oh and my "parts" engine is officially a parts engine.
Started ripping it apart and found the turbo is locked up solid.
Glad I didn't just throw it in to see how it would run.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Latest

Had some injectors tested by Metro Diesel out of PA
They say the 3 I gave them are over fueling at full load.
I guess it could be why I hear it knocking under light load.
Seems fine at idle and wide open throttle.
Can't really find out any info on what would cause an injector to over fuel other than weak pintle springs which would also explain the fuel knock I am hearing.
But I am kind of thrown off by the fact these injectors only have 137k on them but I did find some seriously crappy fuel in the tanks and cleaned that out.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
$40 worth of injector hold down bolts just showed up.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
$750 worth of injectors picked up yesterday.

Here is the test results from the 3 I dropped off at Metro.
They didn't charge me for testing because I got the rebuilt ones from them.

So at this point.
I have 4 rebuilts, the 1 brand new one I got off farcebook and I am going to use 3 from the parts engine I picked up from New Hampshire.
Slap it back together and see how it is. Worst case I will blow another $750 and get 3 more rebuilts.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Your making it rain 100’s brother.
I’m looking forward to seeing this engine run with all your time, dedication, and invested money. I still firmly feel you’ll have a nice rig when done.
Keep on keeping on!

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
So hunting around to decipher the results of the tests they did. I found this info.

VL – Full Load

This point can be identified by a long actuation time, typically > 1400 μs and a rail pressure equal to the
maximum rail pressure of the injector. This is the only point where return quantity value from the injector
is measured while actuating. This measurement is taken in the nonballistic area of injection.

This test confirms:
• Maximum fuel delivery of the injector
o Low Power
o Over fueling
• Excessive return quantity
o Low rail pressure
o Hard start

VE – Pre-injection

This point can be identified by a very short actuation time, typically < 270 μs and a rail pressure equal to
the maximum rail pressure of the injector. This verifies the injector is able to consistently deliver fuel at
the minimum actuation time recommended. This is almost always at the beginning of the flat curve.

This test confirms:
• Injector components are able to react to the minimum actuation time
o White smoke
o Misfire
o Engine noise
o Aftertreatment issues

EM – Emission point (Can't find info on this right now, still looking)
TL – Part load

These points can be identified by an actuation time, typically between 400 and 800 μs and a rail pressure
below the maximum rail pressure of the injector. The selection of the test points are manufacturer
specific. Typically they are looking for critical points in the engine calibration, especially in the ballistic
area of injector operation.

This test confirms:
• Specific points of the performance map as agreed upon by the OEM and Bosch.
o Mid-range performance
o Misfires
o Smoke

LL – Idle

The name of this point is a bit misleading. While it is called “Idle”, it is not an engine idle point. This
point can be identified by an actuation time, typically between 300 and 400 μs at a rail pressure just
above the minimum operating rail pressure of the injector. This is to look at the frictional forces within the
injector and determine if there are any excessive forces on the moving parts of the injector that would
affect performance at moderate rail pressures.

This test confirms:
• Specific points of the performance map as agreed upon by the OEM and Bosch.
o Mid-range performance
o Misfires
o Smoke

Reactions: OkDually

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Great, instead of working on this piece, I am prepping for a hurricane. 🤬
Looking like almost a direct hit.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
At least I won't have to worry about that boat anchor of a Dmax blowing away. 😅 😅

·
Registered
274 Posts

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Crap weather has passed and a heat wave all week so I didn't do anything on it.
But yesterday was decent enough to do some work.
Took half the day to get this valve cover off my parts engine, used a dremel tool to grind the broken studs down enough to pry the valve cover off without breaking it like the other 2.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Argh I can't win, so I picked up what I thought was a brand new LLY injector.
Turns out it's an LBZ injector. 🤬 🤬

See the step (I circled in red) it won't fit, checked a LLY injector and no step.
Hopefully I can throw it on farcebook marketplace and recoup my money.

• Wow
Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
274 Posts
God I Hate other peoples incompetency!

Reactions: firestopper

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
God I Hate other peoples incompetency!
Part my fault, I should have known what I was buying. Guy said he was a GM mechanic too, yikes. Live and learn.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Got the engine back in today. Over the top of the mountain and downhill from here :D
Hopefully I never have to pull it again.
I slathered never seize all over everything so it will come apart a heck of lot easier next time.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts