Diesel Place banner
61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Another update:

Injectors seem to only knock when it is warm also this thing moves out.
Romped on it a bit to make sure the trans was up to snuff and the acceleration surprised me. Kinda made my headache with this truck go away for a bit :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: firestopper

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Balance rates using Dashcommand.
Look ok to me, why is it knocking so bad then ?

·
Administrator
19,707 Posts
Balance rates using Dashcommand.
Look ok to me, why is it knocking so bad then ?

View attachment 643934
I would do a flow return test. If that comes back ok then I would rule out a bad injector nozzle somewhere.
Then lastly, if all else fails, I would check valve lash and pushrods

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
LMAO Look at my balance rates now and it's running like complete dog poop.
What a piece..

·
Administrator
19,707 Posts

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
What changed from the last scan?
I went an checked all the grounds, cleaned them up and put star washers on them.
Idle started surging so I wiggled and checked connections.
It started running worse and worse, took it for a ride and it got real bad.
Try to give it a little throttle and it would surge like 500 to 700 rpm.\

Also I left the MAF unplugged by accident when I pulled the air intake duct to check the connections on the FICM, Those looked ok, no frayed wires or bent pins that I could see.
One weird thing is the unplugged MAF didn't throw a code.

·
Administrator
19,707 Posts
I went an checked all the grounds, cleaned them up and put star washers on them.
Idle started surging so I wiggled and checked connections.
It started running worse and worse, took it for a ride and it got real bad.
Try to give it a little throttle and it would surge like 500 to 700 rpm.\

Also I left the MAF unplugged by accident when I pulled the air intake duct to check the connections on the FICM, Those looked ok, no frayed wires or bent pins that I could see.
One weird thing is the unplugged MAF didn't throw a code.
interesting.. There is a known rub spot around the FICM support bracket and another around the Alt.
Double-check the wires to/from the fuse block in the engine bay.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
interesting.. There is a known rub spot around the FICM support bracket and another around the Alt.
Double-check the wires to/from the fuse block in the engine bay.
Checked all that, looks ok.
Pulled fuel filter and drained, fuel that came out is all cloudy and I can see water droplets in it. Also not much came out of the fuel filter, maybe 3/4's of a cup.

About 5 seconds in on this video you can hear it surge.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Administrator
19,707 Posts
Checked all that, looks ok.
Pulled fuel filter and drained, fuel that came out is all cloudy and I can see water droplets in it. Also not much came out of the fuel filter, maybe 3/4's of a cup.

About 5 seconds in on this video you can hear it surge.

Try running a fuel line from a jerry can of fuel to the CP3 and see if it runs any better on fresh diesel

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Try running a fuel line from a jerry can of fuel to the CP3 and see if it runs any better on fresh diesel
This was going to be my next thing to do, I have a couple cans of Diesel purge coming.
I can't run it right now, I took the transfer case off to replace the gasket between it and the trans.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
So I collected some of what is supposedly Diesel fuel from the return line while it was running. Judging by the condition it may be a good indicator of why it's running like total dog poop. Now it won't run at all.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
She's a running again, bottle of Diesel Kleen and some fresh Diesel and I got it going.
Seems to be running better haven't checked balance rates.
I need to find some way to get rid of about 20 gallons of crap Diesel filled up every jug I could find kicking around and still a bunch more to go.

Some good news, the rear tank has nice clean Diesel, this is the one I changed.
The front tank is full of the crap Diesel, wondering why it's this yellow color.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Many municipalities have a hazardous waste disposal site. check with your city or county government. thats how I got rid of 20 gallons of gasoline I mistakenly put in my diesel at a BP station.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Many municipalities have a hazardous waste disposal site. check with your city or county government. thats how I got rid of 20 gallons of gasoline I mistakenly put in my diesel at a BP station.
My town will only let us drop off containers so I can't drain the jugs and keep them.
I scored 5 2.5 gallon Rotella jugs from a buddy so I can do some more draining.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Today's update.

All new fuel, lines hooked back up and running.
Was getting a P0304 Injector 4 misfire, ice picked all the connectors except #1 (couldn't get at it)
Code cleared and didn't come back during a test drive.
But balance rate for #4 is +15 :cautious: and a few others are not in spec.

Still have slight knock at light throttle and slight shake at idle.
Have some cans of Diesel purge on order if that doesn't clear it up thinking about getting a set of injectors from LDS $2300 🤬

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Been doing some reading about injector knock and I gather knock is caused by an injector popping at a low pressure and allows fuel in the cylinder prematurely.

So I don't think attempts at cleaning them are going to do anything.
There is a Diesel service outfit close to me, I may just pull the injectors and have them tested.

·
Administrator
19,707 Posts
Been doing some reading about injector knock and I gather knock is caused by an injector popping at a low pressure and allows fuel in the cylinder prematurely.

So I don't think attempts at cleaning them are going to do anything.
There is a Diesel service outfit close to me, I may just pull the injectors and have them tested.
Hopefully the cost to test them is not too high.. Might be more economical to just spring for the new injectors

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Latest update.

So with the #4 misfire code I got out my stethoscope and put it on each injector as it was running. All but #4 had a distinct solenoid clinking sound, #4 sounded different (weak)
So I ordered a reman from Oreillys with a July 4th coupon I got $50 off.
$234 shipped to me with a $200 core charge, should be here today.
I broke one of the nipples on the return line (piece of dung) ordered a set of metal ones on epay.
Also broke the injector hold down bolt 🤬 Got that drilled out, figures that one would break #2 hold down came right out (turd)

Here is video I got before I took it apart, about 20 seconds in you can hear it.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Today's update....

Got reman injector in, balance rats look a lot better.
Weird now #4 was throwing all the other way off.
#4 is still a little out of whack and I can't test drive until the new return tee's show up.
Plus I broke the o-ring around the injector and now it's spitting past it.
I thought the copper gasket by the nozzle would seal it up good, guess not cause now it's sounds like a gasser missing a spark plug. (it did run good for a bit but then I went and pulled the new reman injector to make sure the o-ring was there and I guess I mucked it up putting back together)
I tried to drill and tap the valve cover (injector hold down bolt broke off) and put a bigger bolt in but I am not sure if might not be aligned properly so I ordered a new lower valve cover from Flow Chevy, $100 to my door.

This is soo much fun.. :D

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Boy it never ends with this turd.
Now getting a P0089 Fuel Pressure Regulator Performance. Clear it and it comes right back. Also seems to stumble now when it first starts then clears out.

Still waiting on replacement valve cover to show up so I can get that done and then see what's up with P0089.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts