Diesel Place banner
201 - 220 of 235 Posts

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Did you inspect the wiring running out of the fuse block? There have been some rub through issues coming from the fuse block
Bingo !

Checking resistance in the wire for the FRP back to the ECM at various points.
I found that when I got to the connector to the ECM it would have resistance to multiple pins..
So I tore all the sheathing and tape off that path from FRP to ECM, separated the wires, couldn't find anything obvious.
For giggles I hooked enough wire to fire it back up and boom CEL is off and no more codes.

Now what do I do ? Tape and sheath harness back up a section at a time ? And test.
A new harness is $800 from Lincoln Diesel. Discontinued from GM

White Light Electrical wiring Wire Gas

Reactions: firestopper

·
Administrator
20,216 Posts
Bingo !

Checking resistance in the wire for the FRP back to the ECM at various points.
I found that when I got to the connector to the ECM it would have resistance to multiple pins..
So I tore all the sheathing and tape off that path from FRP to ECM, separated the wires, couldn't find anything obvious.
For giggles I hooked enough wire to fire it back up and boom CEL is off and no more codes.

Now what do I do ? Tape and sheath harness back up a section at a time ? And test.
A new harness is $800 from Lincoln Diesel. Discontinued from GM

View attachment 646598
If it was me, I would tape and sheath a section at a time and test first before having to spend that kind of money on a harness

·
Registered
183 Posts
Your level of commitment to getting this truck running with no codes is epic... We are all rooting for you to figure this out!

Just throwing this out there but have you considered adding any extra grounds? I had a Volkswagen that was doing weird stuff, adding several extra grounds solved a lot of it.

Maybe this will help.... Not sure if there were a lot of differences between 04 and 05 both being LLY's. Engine circuit diagrams start on page 43.

Attachments

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Your level of commitment to getting this truck running with no codes is epic... We are all rooting for you to figure this out!

Just throwing this out there but have you considered adding any extra grounds? I had a Volkswagen that was doing weird stuff, adding several extra grounds solved a lot of it.

Maybe this will help.... Not sure if there were a lot of differences between 04 and 05 both being LLY's. Engine circuit diagrams start on page 43.
Funny you mention grounds, when I had the whole truck apart I did wire brush every ground while putting it back together BUT, my left side low beam seems to have a bad ground, I tapped into the that ground wire for the headlight and ran an extra ground and the headlight went to full brightness where as before it was really dim.

I will investigate this further, might be related, I am not sure when the ground for the headlight went south.

Thanks for the diagram 👍 👍

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
This morning I am going to pay the balance of what I owe on the new flatbed, $3000, so there is no doubt I have to get it in good order. :rolleyes:
Told the guy shooting for next weekend after postponing this and last weekend, I ordered it 2 months ago but with all backlog cause of the corona had to wait. It's do or die time.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
5 hours of checking wires and even changed the FPR again, no change.
One thing I did notice...
I cleared the code and held the rpms above 1200, for about 5 mins no FPR code, once I let it return to idle FPR code would pop up. Clear it hold rpms above 1200 and it would stay off, let it return to idle and code comes back.

I checked wiring over, checked for any shorts or open wires with meter, no issues found.
Also checked to make sure fuel return wasn't blocked or restricted, all good there.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Does this relate to an LLY?

PRE-TUNED ECM'S HAVE NOT BEEN PROGRAMMED WITH INJECTOR FLOW RATES BECAUSE YOUR TRUCKS’ FLOW RATES ARE STORED IN THE GLOW PLUG MODULE “ON YOUR TRUCK”.

IF YOUR TRUCK DOES NOT RUN CORRECTLY OR YOU GET AN UNRESETABLE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT INJECTOR CODES… THEN PLEASE FOLLOW THIS PROCEDURE.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS PROGRAMMING CAN BE PERFORMED BY ANY AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE SHOP THAT USES A TECH-II DIAGNOSTICS SCANNER YOUR VEHICLE WILL RUN FINE UNTIL THIS PROCEDURE IS PERFORMED

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts

PRE-TUNED ECM'S HAVE NOT BEEN PROGRAMMED WITH INJECTOR FLOW RATES BECAUSE YOUR TRUCKS’ FLOW RATES ARE STORED IN THE GLOW PLUG MODULE “ON YOUR TRUCK”.

IF YOUR TRUCK DOES NOT RUN CORRECTLY OR YOU GET AN UNRESETABLE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT INJECTOR CODES… THEN PLEASE FOLLOW THIS PROCEDURE.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS PROGRAMMING CAN BE PERFORMED BY ANY AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE SHOP THAT USES A TECH-II DIAGNOSTICS SCANNER YOUR VEHICLE WILL RUN FINE UNTIL THIS PROCEDURE IS PERFORMED
From what I'v read, this programming applies to LBZ and newer rigs. 2001-2005 LB7 and LLY should be plug and play.
I just purchased a new GPCM and read up on the subject prior to replacing it. The 01-05 don't require trim codes (IQA)
to be programmed either when replacing injectors unlike the LBZ and newer. Man I hope you get that rig sorted out soon. Your patience is an inspiration to say the least brother.

·
Administrator
20,216 Posts

Not necessary on an LLY: What is Average Injector Life Span? Replace one or all?

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
Results of bottle test today.
Ran for 1 minute on each injector with engine warm.
Not sure if tells anything though, the level for half of them is a little bit higher.

Liquid Drinkware Bottle Fluid Glass bottle

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Put 4 legit Bosch reman injectors in it last night and no change, still getting P0089 code.
If I hold rpms above 1000 I never see a code, as soon as it returns to idle it pops the P0089.

Something else I have noticed, when it fires up it hiccups like there is air in the system.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
557 Posts
I have to ask again. Was the fuel system flushed thoroughly? I don’t recall reading your answer precisely. It seem your getting more fuel (some cylinders) at idle.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 · (Edited)
I have to ask again. Was the fuel system flushed thoroughly? I don’t recall reading your answer precisely. It seem your getting more fuel (some cylinders) at idle.
Tanks were cleaned out by hand, new senders and lines.
I think I may have an air leak somewhere, after I changed the FPR again I couldn't get the fuel system to prime. Pump on filter head didn't get hard, and no fuel came out of the bleeder screw or the test port next to FICM.
It did fire up though.
I will check over connections again.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Just grabbed a cold start vid, you can hear the hiccup 15 seconds in.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
So I cleared the P0089 code and took it for a ride, now it throws a P1093.
The injection pump is brand new.

I hate this truck, first one ever and I have owned a lot of trucks.

• Sad
Reactions: thedave1164

·
Administrator
20,216 Posts
So I cleared the P0089 code and took it for a ride, now it throws a P1093.
The injection pump is brand new.

I hate this truck, first one ever and I have owned a lot of trucks.
If you're running the lift pump what is the fuel pressure from the lift pump?

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
If you're running the lift pump what is the fuel pressure from the lift pump?
I bypassed the lift pump per John at Kennedy.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
I just put in a brand new Bosch Fuel Press Relief Valve and no change.
Fuel press is showing 18,000 psi at idle.

201 - 220 of 235 Posts