Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys:

I'm posting a link to my latest Av Lube oil analysis for some help in interpreting the numbers.

While the summary is quite positive, and I am pleased, I just don't know enough about the individual measurements to decipher much of anything besides what the summary says.

Here's the link:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/Av2649.pdf

Can I get some input? I'm sure others would like to know just exactly we're looking at as well.

George?

Anxious for your responses.

Rick

·
Registered
394 Posts
Your current analysis results look excellent. All wear parameters are coming down nicely after the initial break-in/residual analysis result. Viscosity is right at 40W, no fuel dilution or coolant present (Great!), TBN retention excellent..
Induction system (dirt) is tight and air filter working well! (one of the secrets of long engine and component life!)
George Morrison

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
George:

Thanks. Your comments are very reassuring. I'm doing everything I can in terms of PM. Uni filter just installed (less than 100 miles ago), so hopefully the silicon will go down even more, as that number was achieved primarily with the stock filter. The Nicktane setup was installed at 6000 miles. Been adding Primrose 405 to every tank since about that time. Next comes the Amsoil dual bypass, and maybe some filter mags. Clean air, fuel, and oil. I'm thinking that's a good formula for longevity.

As to the analysis, my layman's take on the numbers is that the first 8 columns entitled "Wear Metals" and the second 4 entitled "Contaminants" are pretty clear. The lower the better, right? Should these all be in single digits? Is there generally a particular one or set worth watching. In short, what are my red flags here? Where is the soot load reflected?

The columns entitled "Additives" I assume are different/higher because I switched from the OEM oil to Delo 400. Yes? Are these higher numbers good, bad, or not comparable at this point? Are there any of these to which I should pay particular attention?

As to "Physical Analysis," what does the A stand for under the fuel column? What value represents the presence of fuel in the oil? Glycol is coolant, right? What is the N in that column? What value represents the presence of glycol in the oil? Does the absence of any mark in the Visc column indicate that my viscosity is at 40? If not, from where did you deduce that? What or who the heck is Karl Fischer?

What is TBN? Why is my number higher than before? What are the warning signals I should be aware of with this value.

Sorry about the detailed questions, but I just cannot stand to not know what this stuff means as it relates to my truck's health. Am I the only one who doesn't know about this stuff? I AM a newbie to diesels after all.

Thanks George. You have my continued business.

Rick

·
Registered
490 Posts
Rick, TBN is "Total Base Number" it is the ability of the oil to fight acidity generated during the operation of the engine. Higher the better. It tells you how much life is left in the oil. Some of the premium oils start out with a TBN of around 10-12 on fresh oil.Yours indicates a lot of life left in the oil.

Delo 400 is a very good dino oil, as is Delvac 1300, Pennzoil HD Long Life, and Rotella T. The advantages of these oils is they are readily available at places such as Wal-Mart and Tractor Supply. I do not believe Rotella has any moly, which is an excellent antiwear additive. The other 3 do.

The high silicone numbers are probably due to left over casting sand residue, from when the engine block was cast. Quite normal for a new engine.Edited by: Pick

·
Registered
394 Posts
Rick,
Regarding wear metals: yes, single digits is our goal, however, copper is one area where the Duramax engine has a double digit "signature". So far, the average ppm for copper of all of the AV analyized Duramax is 25 ppm. The average ODI for this average was 5,118 miles, with 29,147 total miles for the fleet average.
In this average were lows of 2 ppm at 4,000 mile ODI with a high of 122 ppm copper.. Quite a spread.. However, again, engine series and even individual engines can have 'signature' analysis which is why it is good to monitor trends over time, especially in the wear metals area of the analysis result.
Additives: Higher numbers, better...
Physical Analysis: A stands for "Absent" which is good.
Glycol is coolant/anti-freeze and "N" means None.. ANY level of glycol is unacceptable.
Moreover, with both fuel and glycol, and any other area with potential for catasophic results, you would have received a phone call or fax from me/lab..
You received a quiet, minimal explanation oil analysis result as all did look good. With AV Lubricants, if anything is out of norm, you will know about it within an hour of the lab result completion...
And as previously mentioned, the higher the TBN, generally, the better. It is the reserve number for the ability of the oil to neutralize acid by-products generated from the diesel fuel burn process.
Bottom line: Excellent analysis and yes, single digit dirt (silicon) is our goal for the absolute lowest level of induced internal wear.

And yes, there IS an absolute, total, bottom line cleanest, cleanest, lowest wear Duramax engine to date....
George Morrison
George Morrison

1 - 5 of 5 Posts