Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I installed the new Pioneer AVIC-N1 In my truck last week and thought I would share with you all. It's a pretty sweet unit. I just installed an AVIC-80 about a month ago, and this blows it away. It's very easy to use with the touch screen and different search features. The only draw back is that the screen has to be folded manually so that it doesn't hit the gear shift. Here's some pics and if you want to check it out visit AVIC-N1.com

Take Care,
Ox

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks for the pics... How does the "navigation"
part of it work? Does it somehow tie into the
On-Star antenna system for GPS signals or what?

I didn't get any good detailed information at the
www.AVIC-N1.com website to indicate exactly what
was going on. How does it receive it's positioning
information for Navigation? Does it have an internal
hard drive or do you have to load data-DVDs for
the navigation stuff? Again, the document at
http://www.avic-n1.com/Navmanual.pdf just isn't detailed
enough IMHO.

It'd be nice if it could utilize the GPS antenna(Onstar)
that I already have....

Thanks for any insight,

T.

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Navigation part of it works very well, the best I've yet to see. The AVIC-N1 utilizes it's own GPS Antenna, which is the size of a Zippo lighter. The antenna comes with the unit, so taping into the OnStar, if anyone’s figured it out on the 03 and newer yet, would be much more trouble than it would be worth IMO. To increase accuracy, it also taps into VSS (Vehicle Speed Signal). Pioneer doesn't say it has a hard drive, but that in has 15 gigs of memory, I'm betting on a hard drive. It does require you to load in a DVD when setting up your route. It stores the needed data, and then you can remove it and Insert a DVD video for back seat passengers (if you have monitors back there), Mp3s or just regular cds. It's very versatile, you came use the Nav in the front, play a movie in back, and listen to AM/FM/XM in the front all at once. Add a CD or DVD changer and you can have movies in the back and music from cds in the front. The AVIC-N1 has a lot more addresses and 10 million more Points Of Interest than the Avic-80. It also features Vehicle dynamics, speed, tilt, direction, G-force from acceleration and breaking as well as cornering. There's more, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

This thing also has very good sound, 100 times better than the Delco/Bose HU not that that's hard. It has a three band parametric EQ and an electronic crossover built in. It also has three sets of preouts, so upgrading to good amplifiers will be easy. This is a very good well-rounded unit, which is more worth the money than previous models. It's actually $1300 less than the AVIC-80/touch screen package.

Don't get lost,

Ox

·
Whipper Snapper
4,487 Posts
Ox,

You mentioned tapping into the vss. I will be wiring up a Alpine Nav system this weekend and as I was reading through the instructions, I noticed mention of this wire. Do you have any information on finding this wire on our trucks? Thanks!

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pin A4 on the Insterment cluster on the 03-04s, I'm not sure about the 02s With most GMs the VSS is Dark green and white or Dark Green. Yours is most likely dark green. To make sure you can cut the wire, plug in the cluster and drive a few feet to see if the speedo works. If it doesn't you got the right wire. It should be the only dark green wire though.

Drop me a line if you need more info.

Ox

·
Registered
217 Posts
Looks nice, except theres gotta be a better mounting kit available????? No??? That pocket is cheesy,(IMO) plus the unit is now not centered in the opening.

Can you interface the stock XM antenna and service with this unit?

Edited by: 03BlueHD

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that pocket is not the best looking thing in the world. I ended up ISO DIN mounting it deeper in the dash and then I pulled it out and installed it in an 03 Blazer. I haven't seen a kit that fits these trucks and centers the HU, I figure that's because it would look really crappie. The best looking ones are custom made, it all depends on what you want.

The stock XM antenna connectors are different from Pioneer's but I've heard that you can modify them to work. You would need a Pioneer XM tuner though. The big problem there is that Pioneer no longer makes XM tuner. From what I'm told, XM will be making their own tuners in the future.

·
Whipper Snapper
4,487 Posts
Ox,

Thanks for the tip... The wire was the dark green and white one in pin A4. This was on an '02 Chev for anyone that may need to know. There is actually a dark green one too, but I took a chance with pin A4 when I noticed it was dark green and white since yours was.

I'll get some pics of the new Alpine IVA-D300 (this thing is cool! It touches back when you touch the screen). The navigation system is very friendly and easy to use, and very accurate.

·
Whipper Snapper
4,487 Posts
Ox,

Don't know if your setup had an "Ilummination (Dimmer)" wire but I'm curious to know what this should be hooked to and what it does? The system works fine without it, I just couldn't figure out what it might do for the system so I didn't hook it up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It should be to provide the auto dimming of interior light sources when the lights are on. The stock head unit does this and I’m guessing the new unit would probably tie in to the same harness. Or if not, it may be as simple as “hot when lights are on”. In any case, should be in the instructions.

Or are you asking "why dim"? To see it clearly in day light requires a fairly bright image and background as well as control lighting. At night that could be too bright and it would be distracting or blinding your night vision, so most light sources in an auto will have at least 2 intensity settings to eliminate that.Edited by: BadDog

·
Whipper Snapper
4,487 Posts
Bad dog,

Thanks for the reply. I figured this out today... The wiring instructions with the nav unit were very vague, but I figured it out based on the head unit wiring information.

I just hooked it up to the source that turns on the speedo lights at night when the main lights come on. Works like a charm and does exactly as you stated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
457 Posts
BlueOx03 what did it run you if you don't mind me asking? Does the GPS work similar to a hand held in that it will give you lat/long and moniter real time? I was looking at the

Pioneer AVH-DVD7500. The AVH-DVD7500 has a few more performance oriented features that the AVIC-N1 doesn't have such as a built in TV tuner, more RCA preouts, a built in processor and 5.1 Dolby Digital all included. It also has a slightly larger screen 7" vs. 6.5".

BUT what I really like about the AVIC-N1 is the custom background pictures you can add and of course the navi unit, both of which the AVH-DVD7500 doesn't have. The AVH-DVD7500 allows you to view traffic when backing up but doesn't allow a split screen image while normal driving like the AVIC-N1 does...hmmm decisions, decisions.

Just to make sure I'm clear both units are XM ready but you have to purchase the XM tuner in order for it to work? Anyone know in the factory XM antenna is compatible w/ the Pioneer XM tuner?

Everyone has problems w/ motorized faceplates hitting the shifter. I've heard of people bending their shifters so it clears but there has to be a better way. Anyone know if it would be possible to relocate the A/C controls to the radio location and relocate the head unit down below where it would be out of sight from other vehicles?

Also when the moniter is out can it be moved left to right?

·
Whipper Snapper
4,487 Posts
Ox or anyone,

Did you have to hook up a reverse wire (one that indicates to your navigation system that you are in reverse)? If so, what wire did you tap into? I'm having trouble finding a wire that's got a signal only when in reverse.

·
Registered
68 Posts
y2kboti, the monitor does not move left or right. I was just looking at it at Tweeter last nite and asked the same question.

Ox, how is it viewing the screen from the passenger seat ? Does it look dark ? I would like the passenger to be able to see it as well.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
Ox - is there a mod to watch video up front?? like a sequencer board or something???

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sp33d-you should be able to get back up light voltage off the BCM. Look for a light green wire on the BCM and veifiy it with a DMM.

jjs3788-I didn't think to check the view from the other side when I had it in there. I'm putting in another one for a road trip today or tomorrow, I'll check it then.

Nick, you're nuke'n it! All you need is a switch and a diode.

Ox

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Ox, I remember reading a post a while back and I thought it was yours about you changing the color of lights or something like that in the truck or something, but you, or whoever, wouldnt elalorate on it at the time. Was that you or am I confusing you with someone else. Whoever it was I was interested in seeing how it turned out and I havent heard anything else about it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts