Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im curious about what the average EGTs are for various conditions.

Just empty running down the highway?

Hard accelerations?

Towing?

And what is the safe max. EGTs?

And what Temp. should you never touch?

All you guys with Attitudes, what do you have your EGT alarm set at?

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Empty, level ground 600F Ambient 32F @65MPH

WOT Juice only 1/4 mile 1200

WOT Stacked >1500 @800ft

Towing 19,690 up 12%grade juice on timing only [email protected] 55mph 10F ambient (6000' Above seal level)

IIRC i would not sustain any temps over 1250F for longer than 15 seconds (most aluminium melting temps boundary layer ????)Edited by: Got Juice?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is that to say that if Im pulling up a hill and running 1200F constantly it would be ok?

And I gather its not the end of the world if, for instance, you run up hard and hit 1300F for a second or two and back off?

~~Sorry if I sound dumb, but I know nothing about the safe parameters of this stuff.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Empty on the highway I run 400-800 degrees depending on throttle and hills doesn't seem to change based on juice level...

Hard acceleration I hit the speed limiter before I get to 1000 degrees.

Towing done in level 1, ~10k 5er, 800-1100 degrees. 1300 degrees climbing passes. Found myself nearing 1400 degrees climbing Wolf Creek Pass in October last year and had to back off the go baby pedal to cool off..had plenty of power and lots of pedal left, just didn't have the temps to keep pace. Maybe if I can get my 4" back on with a different muffler I will see the 100-200 degree drop in temp. Hope it is worth the noise....

Have read not to sustain 1300 degrees for any length of time. We are going to tow next weekend and I am thinking about taking the juice off and see what stock temps I get towing. Would be interesting to see what GM thinks is safe by not providing an EGT gauge from the factory towing stock. Imagion the temps towing 22,000 GCVWR up a 6% grade pedal to the wood. I can imagion it would be over 1300 degrees, yet no provisions for people to "worry" about stock temps and they do not warn against this.

Bob

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
The general concesus seems to be that 1200 is the maximum continuous running temperature. When i am towing (more often than not) i tend to stay around 1150 for my own peace of mind even if it means running in 4th gear, or 50 mph.

IIRC burst temps over 1200F are not the end of the world although i am sure others would be more informed the effects, people like Mtomac and John Kennedy.

FYI i have EXCEEDED 1200F on my stock DMX running loaded over the salmo creston pass which leads me to believe that it is a brutal mountain to climb (stock being K&N and 4" exhaust only)

You don't sound dumb, both are really good questions!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Got Juice-

I wonder what your temps would have been towing with the stock exhaust system??? Of course the General has been wrong before with their setups (fuel system comes to mind) I wonder what they consider safe?? In their minds and on paper they probably think we probably won't exceed 1000 degrees in any situation....

Edited by: 4x4man

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
4x4man said:
Got Juice-

I wonder what your temps would have been towing with the stock exhaust system??? Of course the General has been wrong before with their setups (fuel system comes to mind) I wonder what they consider safe?? In their minds and on paper they probably think we probably won't exceed 1000 degrees in any situation....

*L* i challenge any absolutely stock truck to make that climb at 60mph and not exceed 1400F with 12,000lbs behind it..... it just ain't possible.... a great hill to test for pull-offs that's for sure. one of the only times my engine cooling fan ever kicks in! I feel sorry for most people who buy a diesel.... they only look at the gauges the MFGRS provide..... if you didn't see it , it didn't happen right? wonder if they would warranty a blown engine from towing max GCVW up that hill totally stock ? Now that would be interesting. I think a bigger turbo would definately help me out here! or a set of twins!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GREAT replies guys! thanks

GOOD points Bob about the stock EGTs with no indication.

Cant you just set your Juice to level 0 to see what the stock EGTs are? Im gonna try it; Im towing for the first time this coming weekend over the Cajon Pass which is our local Big hill. .... Should be interesting.. :)Edited by: 2MuchFun

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Good luck with Cajon. Ive never been able to run full tilt or anything close to it on that grade. Always some slow ass in front of me.

If you really want to see what shell do, be out there at about 3 in the AM...

·
Registered
652 Posts
2MuchFun,

I pulled my trailer (17,000 GCVW) up Cajon Pass two weeks ago using the TTS Powerloader tow tune (80HP). Due to sporadic traffic my speed varied, but on the first part of the grade I ran 70mph in 5th with EGT's not exceeding 875 post-turbo. On the last (and steepest) part of the grade just before the summit I ran 65mph in 4th after clearing slower traffic. EGTs were around 775.

Be aware that lugging your rig up steep grades is a sure ticket to sky-high EGTs when your running added horsepower. For long grades don't hesitate to use your ODLO - you can still cruise 60+ and keep EGT's in the safe zone.

Have fun!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Are there things you can add to keep EGT's down? The same way you would add a larger transmission cooler to keep it cooler.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Mike330R said:
Are there things you can add to keep EGT's down? The same way you would add a larger transmission cooler to keep it cooler.

Adding a more efficient I/C would help, as would a larger turbo downpipe from the exducer HSG, as would a turbine that would flow more air... lean diesels run cooler on EGT's than rich ones do (boxes/programmers add fuelling as well as advanced timing) you can also add twin compounded turbos for more air, and also run the juice on its 'timing only' setting (level 0) will help, aftermarket air filters help as do larger exhaust pipes.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
4x4man said:
Got Juice-

on my stock exhaust/intake i was measuring temps post turbo which are wildly inaccurate as the turbine 'heat soaks' to provide boost pressure. on a pre/post install, towing heavily i have seen 500F difference between the 2 probes..... food for though for the post EGT probers out there.. and to boot the post EGT probe reacts about 9 seconds SLOWER than the pre EGT probe due to the turbo 'heat soak' issue... anyone else wanna chime in?

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
GOT JUICE,

You wrote:

on my stock exhaust/intake i was measuring temps post turbo which are wildly inaccurate as the turbine 'heat soaks' to provide boost pressure. on a pre/post install, towing heavily i have seen 500F difference between the 2 probes..... food for though for the post EGT probers out there.. and to boot the post EGT probe reacts about 9 seconds SLOWER than the pre EGT probe due to the turbo 'heat soak' issue... anyone else wanna chime in?

In a different thread I asked the question of PRE or Post? I got responses like It's gotta be pre, Besides Edge says so, and other non-descriptive non-helpful answers. You above statement has completly sold me on the pre turbo install. Now I just have to decide 6-gun or edge. I would of already bought a 6-gun if they offered modern monitoring and interface such as the attitude.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Glad you found the post informative.

As far as Banks/Edge, i am biased as i love my Juice box, what sold me was the tranny monitoring that nobody else offered at the time, as well as their customer service which has been very good in my opinion.

I have no experience with the banks 6-gun, but they usually engineer a solid product, so choose which ever suits your needs best.

I still run full gauges in concert with the attitude, one pre and one post. i do let the truck 'idle down' to 300F preturbo, then check post turbo and allow that one to cool to 400F prior to shutdown after a QM run or towing.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damn this is a good thread

"ODLO" means the tow/haul button?

Edge specifically says in the Attitude manual that you should only tow with the tow/haul button activated to keep the tranny locked which helps keep it cool. I didnt know that it also helps with the EGTs.

Im a bit concerned; I can easily run 800F on my Attitude pre-turbo just commuting to work on the flat freeway

If im running 65-70 and stomp on it, the EGTs will go up to 1250 by the time Im nearing 100.

·
Registered
939 Posts
2MuchFun said:
Cant you just set your Juice to level 0 to see what the stock EGTs are? Im gonna try it; Im towing for the first time this coming weekend over the Cajon Pass which is our local Big hill. .... Should be interesting.. :)

You can set the Juice to level 0, it is timing only and no fuel, it is said to add 18-20hp just by changing the timing alone. I have towed in level 0, but that was before I had my EGT gauge installed (Pre-turbo BTW) so I have no temp readings on that. The only reason I question temps towing stock is due to EGT's. I have yet to find a 4" muffler that is quiet enough for me. I know, I know, picky picky, but hey it is my truck and I paid for a quiet diesel. So if the EGT's are similar towing stock verses level 1 juice, then I will leave the exhaust alone and part with the 4" summit system I bought (just to dang loud for me) and not worry anymore.

Bob

·
Registered
939 Posts
ODLO is the over drive lockout function. If you press and hold the tow haul button for a could of seconds you will see a D with a slash through it. This basically locks out 5th gear. Very handy when climbing mountain passes and you want to hold 4th for EGT and speed reasons.

Using tow haul keeps the torque converter locked in gears 2-5. Having the TC locked produces less heat to the tranny fluid allowing the Alli to run cooler. I aso installed the "deep pan", actually Allison calls it the standard pan, as well as Transynd to help keep my Allison in top shape.

Bob

·
Registered
576 Posts
Got Juice? said:
4x4man said:
Got Juice-

Is there something similar to the 'therminator ' they have for fUrds which allows the motor to run with the key off until the turbo is cooled? Or is it even needed on the Chevys?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts