Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering buying an Avalanche and was wondering if any one on here has one and what kind of fuel mileage are you getting. I have heard 30 but I want to see some more numbers.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I have a buddy with a 6.0 Avalanche, and he averages 18 on the highway and about 14 around town.

If they get 30 mpg, then his driving style obviously has a huge effect on economy!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bad, 26 not 30. sorry

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
30?

Aint no way.

My co worker has a 02 5.3 and he's only getting 15.

On edit:

26? Stll way too high. They dont do any better than any GM full size 5.3 or 6.0 equipped truck. And I highly doubt that any GM full size truck gets anywhere close to 22. (expect for maybe a handful of lucky members here who get that out of their LBZ's.

Basically, he's full of crap. They're only rated for 20 or so from the factory, brand new, highway mileage.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a 2002. I will tell that if you change the wheels you will see a drastic change not a little but a big one. I first drove the truck all the way from Miami, Fl to Colorado Springs, CO about 2500 miles I only stopped 3 times (Roughly 650-700miles between fill ups). At 75-80mph it stays well below 1700rpms. But the moment I went to 22's and especially 24's the mileage went to crap. Big time. I added exhaust and Intake, and still at the pump a lot. I mostly do hwy driving to and from work, about 15 miles a day, and it is sucking up gas. But overall if left stock the truck is the best there is. I kinda wish they made a diesel one this year with the new styling. It currently has 39,000 miles on it. No major maintenance issues at all other than the standard "clacking noise" common on most Chevys when turning. Hope that helps you out.

·
Registered
575 Posts
BudTX;1612793; said:
I have a buddy with a 6.0 Avalanche, and he averages 18 on the highway and about 14 around town.

If they get 30 mpg, then his driving style obviously has a huge effect on economy!
I thought the only way to get a 6.0 avalanche was to get a caddilac version .I thought all 2500s were 8.1's,and all 1500's were 5.3s.You learn something new every day.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had an 04 with the 5.3 stock it got [email protected] with an intake it got 20
I liked it and would have kept it but I got a bigger trailer

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I had an 03 with 5.3, running synthetic and a Flowmaster exhaust (made a 1/2 mpg difference) my drive to work got me around 16mpg (my D-max gets around 15-15 1/2 on the same trip right now) my best highway was around 19-19 1/2.
Towing my trailer was around 10 mpg but dropped off fast if there was any wind. My D-max has only gotten a best of 12 mpg towing the same trailer and usually gets around 11.
My personal experience was that the 5.3 benefits greatly from exhaust and intake improvements, a good cold air intake and a cat back exhaust would be first on my list.

Scott

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
Mine gets 12-13 in town with me driving and 16-17 with wifey driving. Highway @ 80 gets me 17, @70...Who knows dont ever run 70!! 20's with 305 50's Flowmaster cat back with resonater for Avalanche and Suburban (eliminates drone) Super Chips (soon to be for sale now that I have EFI Live) K & N intake, all synthetics, pioneer avh7600 dvd flip up with avic 90 dvd nav. The only probs @ 90,000 miles is right wheel bearing and teering shaft,( which is still there) When I tow boat @ 80 I get 6-7 mpg. That was my excuse to wife for Dmax ( plus she was excited about inheriting Avalanche) Sorry about long post but as you can tell I'm very proud of the AV. Has been a pleasure to own and very smooth riding, even for Z71 4WD. Can be seen in my garage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
my wife has a New 07 Avalanche ltz with every option...and it gets 15-17 in town and 17-22 highway

·
Registered
15 Posts
2002 Chevy Avalanche with 8.1L 2WD

I get 10-12 MPG depending on conditions.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I had a 04 5.3 liter and would get 15 city 19 highway @ around 75 average. I also had a 05 6 liter for a little bit (don't ask!!) and would get 8 city 13 highway at around 70!! The 6.0 was fast, but the fuel economy was sh!!. Oh yeh, then I bought a real towing machine........ Case closed!

As for practicality of the Avalanche, simply awesome. Loved it! When I started to tow my enclosed trailer, thats when I had to switch. Too much stress on the engine and trans. With the suspension, it suffered. Good truck though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.