Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 400 Watt inverter that I use to run my laptop. Many times I forget to turn it off at night and kill the batteries. I wouls like to hard wire the inverter into the fuse box and just have it go on and off with the key. Any suggestions as to the best way to accomplish this. i wam thinking of mounting the inverter just undernether the rear middle seat. this will allow it to be out of the way, but still accessible to plug in accessories. Any advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
You could always use the upfitter plugs in the MBEC under the dash on the drivers side. Google "GM Upfitter manual" and it will give you all the info that you need. The MBEC is where you plug your brake controller in if you have it factory wired. There are a number of ccts in there you can use, and there are ones that are powered key-on only.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bump

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I would just get a 12 volt adapter for my laptop and hardwire that into the existing fuse box. Using an inverter, your changing dc to ac, then back to dc again. The inverter will draw alot more power than just a straight dc adapter made for your laptop. Either way,you'll wire it the same way. Most fuse blocks in cars ( I haven't checked my truck to make sure) have some unused fuse slots. Remove the fuse block, wire the inverter or dc adapter to unused fuse slot, install appropriate size fuse. If no available slots, get a fuse tap at a hardware store and wire it that way. You will have to find a bolt somewhere to ground it, but there are plenty under the dash that will work. Should be an easy job.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
With it drawing up to 400 watts you'll need a relay and a keyed on/off fuse in the panel.
If it were me, I would just buy the 12 volt power adapter for my laptop.
If I HAD to use the power inverter route I would buy a LOW amperage power inverter (to close the contacts) with a high amperage flow capability (to goto the inverter).
I would wire the low side (on terminal) to the ACC fuse in the drivers side fuse box, then take and run yourself some heavy gauge wire to where you want to mount the inverter. From the inverter the relay would be under the hood and on the input there would be a 40 amp fuse as close to the positive entrance as possible.
400 watts / 12 volts = 33.33333 amps.

·
Registered
761 Posts
A 12volt power adapter sounds like a wise choice but he already has an inverter. Plus with an inverter he isn't limited to just running the laptop.

I just did a similar install.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204579

Your best bet is to install a relay. Use a heavy wire from under the hood then wire the relay with a switch or a power source that is energized with the ignition.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Waste of time

Going through all the work to put in an extra cct off of your fusebox or battery when there are already ccts in the truck is a waste of time in my opinion. The link below will take you to gmupfitter.com and you can select the year applicable to your truck.

http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/ld_main.htm

I haven't checked the other years as they don't apply to me, but seeing as how I have an 04 LLY, I work with the 05 manual normally. The 04 and 05 manual are the same as far as I have found but like I said, I haven't looked at any of the other years.

http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/2005_BB/2005_GMT800_CK.pdf

If you download the manual from the link above and go to page 211, you'll see the MBEC (Misc Bussed Elec Ctr). The following pages will show you the pinouts for the cell phone, SEO (Special Equipment Option), upfitter and the trailer brake connector. All of these ccts have both hot and switched leads fused in the fuse box in the existing vehicle harness. My aux fuel pump is hooked into the switched lead on one of the upfitter connectors.

To put another cct in is not only a waste of time but if you are tapping off of another cct, you are putting additional load on that cct that it was not designed for. The SEO is what is used for emergency equipment in emergency vehicles. This cct may have a relay, it may not I have never looked into it. But this cct is designed to take a higher load due to the number of loads that are placed on it. The upfitter could be used for anything else, ie a laptop power supply.

I have checked the part numbers listed on those pages against partszoneonline.com and they come back as not valid numbers. However, the trlr connector and the SEO connector are the same except the keyways are different. To use the trlr connector in the SEO, you have to remove a little bit of plastic. The trlr connector is available at any parts store instead of a dealer trip, pick one up and and try to plug it in and you will see what I mean. Thirty seconds and an exacto knife and you'll be set.

Like I said, I have used the trlr connector in the SEO and all of my equipment works great. If you have any questions, post or PM me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts