Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone make an auxiliary fuel tank that can be installed behind the rear axle where the spare tire is currently located?

I used to have a 1977 Suburban that had the 40 gallon OEM fuel tank located behind the rear axle. I figure that I can always relocate my spare tire to somewhere inside the bed.

My current fuel tank only holds 26 gallons and that is not much if I'm getting 10 mi/gal while towing. If I could add another 40 gallons behind the axle I would not be using valuable space in the bed for the auxiliary fuel tank and it would make long towing trips much more tolerable. Actually I would love to add another 75 gallons for a total around 100 gallons, but I don't know where I would put all that fuel unless I install a tank in the bed.

EDIT: OOPS! I think I posted this in the wrong section. Can someone move this to the correct section? thanks.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Don't know about a tank for behind the rear axle but you could get one to replace your factory tank with a 50 gallon or so aftermarket tank.

Either Supertanks. www.supertanks.com

or Transfer Flow. www.transferflow.com

DD

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Don't know about a tank for behind the rear axle but you could get one to replace your factory tank with a 50 gallon or so aftermarket tank.

Either Supertanks. www.supertanks.com

or Transfer Flow. www.transferflow.com

DD
Thanks!

I looked at both of those and they will replace the OEM tank and give me around 42 to 45 gallons on my short bed truck compared to 26 gallons right now. That's a lot better than what I currently have, but I just would like to be able to carry more than that. In fact, if I could get a 45 gallon replacement tank plus a 40 gallon tank behind the axles, well 85 gallons, that would really be cool.

My old '79 truck had dual 20's but most people wouldn't want that 'cause the tanks were mounted outside the frame for that model year.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tom,

I'm going to check those out.

BTW: the in-bed tank that you got from American Tank, did you install it yourself or did you have someone else do the install for you?

Thanks.
Ray

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Installed it myself, including cutting the top and installing a rollover valve and filler pipe that goes through the cap on my bed. Kit was complete and install was pretty easy with clear instructions every step of the way. Photos are in my PICS link.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts