Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 c4500 GMC Topkick with 2 tanks one 15 gal and one 25 gal. I thought i would add an auxilary fuel tank in the bed. I called all around looking for a good ddeal on one,Northeren,Aero,sprs(?) from Texas,J.C.Whitneny and so on. Only one that would work was the Transfer Flow,70 gal, express for $1500!!

So i ordered one thru my local TF dealer. He calls me up yesterday and said it was not available thru TF because they were having problems.

So i call a friend up who has his own welding business. I told him what i was looking to do and he said i can make you a tank for 1/3 that price out of diamond plate aluminum. But he can't hook it up for me! This is where i need help,any ideas of how to install???

·
Registered
165 Posts
coach,

You need a tranfer pump or a relay pump to move the fuel, and brackets to attach it Welded on by your fabricator). If you want to read fuel levels you need a guage or an interface for your OEM gauge.

Try auxtank.com. I got mine from them (43 gal) for substantially less money, not sure about their bigger units price wise. They have a slick 6 way transfer valve that allows in cab selection and reads off the OEM guage.

Good luck,
Bob

Bob

·
Registered
288 Posts
COACH: I'M GOING TO PUT 50GAL TANK IN NEW TRUCK I HAVE ORDERD, I LIKE KSH TANKS AND THEY WILL MAKE YOU ONETHAT FITS UNDER COVER. ALSO I'M GOING TO PUMP FUEL INTO FILL NECK OF OEM TANK THRU GOOD 2 MIC FILTER. THIS WAY I WILL NOT HAVE OPEN OEM LINES. THEN I WILL FUEL UP ONLY THRU TRANS TANK. I JUST STARTED LOOKING FOR ELECTRIC PUMP TO DO THE JOB. IT MUST NOT LET FUEL SIPHON PAST WHEN SHUT OFF. I WILL CONTROL PUMP WITH SWITCH ON DASH. I DO HAVE ONE QUESTION, DOES OEM TANK HAVE ANY PRESSURE IN IT? I AM CONCERNED ABOUT VENTING AIR AS TANK FILLS. ANYONE ANSWER THAT QUESTION FOR ME? THANKS

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mine fills and vents just fine through the filler neck but I am gravity feeding from the aux tank. The higher flow rates from a pump hopefully won't cause any problems. When you're teeing into the 2" filler neck watch out for the 1" inside line. I'm assuming you're new truck is going to be a duramax.

·
Registered
288 Posts
ARMY: WHEN I TEE INTO FILL NECK I INTEND TO GO ALL THE WAY INTO 1" CENTER PIPE. FIGURE THAT IS FOR FILLING OUTSIDE PIPE IS FOR VENTING. TRUCK WILL BE HERE IN 2, 3 DAYS. I'LL HAVE TO WAIT TO GET GOOD LOOK. YES IT IS A DURAMAX. THANKS FOR REPLY.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts