Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a 40 gal vert tank to put into my bed between the front bed rail and my tool box. I am wondering what brands are good, what you all have, how do you connect to factory fuel system, gravity fed or pump system.
I have been looking at better built and deezee tanks and can get both for a pretty good price. As far as the gravity fed vs pump. which one is better. Should I put a filter between factory tank and aux tank. I am trying to get some ideas here before I buy so I can get it all at once.
Pics of your set up and advice would be nice.
Thanks
Clay

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I've got a 40 gallon American Tank in the front of my bed www.auxtank.com

Not cheap, but a quality tank with all the bells and whistles to install it with a frame-mounted 6-way valve that swaps tanks, recycles fuel to the selected tank through the OEM fuel cooler and reads out on the factory fuel gauge with just one toggle in the cab. Pictures are in my garage.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idle_Chatter,
those are nice tanks but alot more then im willing to spend. like i said i can pick up a deezee or betterbuilt box for cost from my work. But my main thing is should i go gravity feed or pump setup. I am not all that familier with either set up on aux tanks. Also would like some input on quality of the two tanks. They both look great and quality as far as looks and craftsmanship is wonderful.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I run a pump to transfer fuel from tan to tank. An inline fuel filter is a good idea as well. I tried gravity feed at first and it was ok running empty but as soon as the 5er was hooked up it wouldnt transfer quick enough.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
pump is good
pump with filter is better
gravitys free

i took out the fuel nozzle and welded a 1/2" collar and then put a nipple in
and drilled out a hole

then went to a filter and pump up into the other fuel tank

also when it was real cold it wouldnt gravity feed this is why i went with a pump

·
Registered
327 Posts
you should also look into those titan tanks they hold double what you carry now.... I read there up to $1000 but it replaces your factory tank s it keeps the bed clear for other uses

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am pushing more towards the pump just b/c i would like to put a filter inline between the two tanks. Any recomendations for pumps or filters. I know tractory supply carries some inexpensive transfer pumps and filters but not sure what you all think is a good choice. Like i said i have no knowledge with transfer pumps.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
best to find a pump with 1/2 in out imo or at least 3/8"

some have wired it to the defrost switch so its on a timer

i use racor R60t but you can use whatever you want

is your tank metal or alluminum?

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Pump and electric splitter valve both from Napa. Have two bungs welded to the filler neck....One for filling.......the other back to the tank for a breather. Once the main tank is full it just returns back to your slip tank.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
DURATYS;1573753; said:
Pump and electric splitter valve both from Napa. Have two bungs welded to the filler neck....One for filling.......the other back to the tank for a breather. Once the main tank is full it just returns back to your slip tank.

good idea mine tends to vent onto the side of the truck when main tank is full:eek:

where did you tie the vent into on the sliptank on your filler neck?

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Nope.....I made my tank so it runs into the top portion that is a shallow tool box and returns into the top of it. Theres a few pics of it in my garage....

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My tank I ordered is a better built tank. Metal with white finish. Having a buddy of mine build a diamond plate cover. They are some really nice tanks. I looked at a few dif brands today and the better built was by far a better looking (Quality) than the 5 brands i looked at.
I am gonna look tomorrow for a pump and inline filter.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
ColbyColorado04;1574916; said:
My tank I ordered is a better built tank. Metal with white finish. Having a buddy of mine build a diamond plate cover. They are some really nice tanks. I looked at a few dif brands today and the better built was by far a better looking (Quality) than the 5 brands i looked at.
I am gonna look tomorrow for a pump and inline filter.

would metal not rust? :eek:
did you think about putting a magnet in there

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From talking to the rep today to check on a few things, apperently they have a pretty long process in which they treat the metal both inside and outside of the tank. I would assume a dip of some kind. I didnt realize this either but my brother in-law has the same exact tank and i kno he has had it for around 5yrs or so and it is still good as new. So im not all that worried about it. Im going to put a filter inline between the tanks just for some extra insurance. still trying to find a pump that isnt prices so high though. any ideas on a pretty inexpensive pump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.