Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you wire some auxillary backup lights on a 06 3500 dually and what ones do you guys prefer? Cannot see a damn thing at night when I back this beast up! Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Lights

I installed to 55W lights up under the back end of my truck and they work great. I tied them in to my reverse lights. I used the wiring harness by the bumper so there was very little work. They also come on when I hit my key fob so that's nice too. Let me know if you need more detail.

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
I did the exact same thing as said above.

Any lights are good.

Alot of people here will reccommend Agricultural Lights, with a Flood Beam, so they will throw light everywhere and you'll actually be able to see behind you.

I'm just using some cheap 55w Fog Lights I got at Wal-Mart for $15 and they do the job just right.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If I were to install them I would not use the reverse lights to feed the lights. The wires are not designed to take that kind of power. I would use a relay, pull power off the camper power at you rv plug and use the reverse lights to signal the relay. All these wires are available in the 7 pin.

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
Yea, I used a Relay Harness too, thought I saw that in the post befor emine, guess not.

But yea, always use a relay harness, not only will it save the wires from melting from pulling too much power, but they will also be brighter too.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Have a look in my garage. I've got aux reverse lights off of the tlr plug. To light up behind you, depending on preference you don't need a whole lot to light up behind you.

·
Registered
418 Posts
when i wired mine up, i didn't want to go straight into the backup light wire in fear of drawing too much power. so i just ran a black wire under my truck, into the firewall (drilled a small hole through a boot, stuck the wire through, siliconed the outside) and put in a small black switch to the left of my steering wheel. i mounted it about 4 inches to the right of the headlight controls, this way, when someone is sitting in the driver seat, you simply cannot see the button b/c the steeringwheel/turnsignal lever is in your light of sight, so the switch is kinda "hidden". if you got into my truck and drove it for 2 weeks i bet you wouldn't even notice it. two advantages i have seen doing it this way. the switch is mounted on the left, so when i use my right hand to throw it in reverse, i can use my left hand to hit the switch basically at the same time. another is if i'm working outside my truck, ie. hooking up a trailor, pulling someone out, or just want lighting for something, i can put the lights on whenever i want without putting the truck in reverse. oh there just two 55W agricultural flood lights from Tractor Supply Co.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I remember asking about how to hook up aux reverse lights to the existing cargo light switch in the cab about a year ago. Cleaner look (no extra switches) and the indicator light for the cargo will remind you if you accidently left it and the reverse lights on. Got some feedback on how to install (it was a positive ground for the cargo switch) but needed someone to take pics and walk me through the wiring process and the responsed were not that clear to me. A search for "cargo light" or "reverse lights" will come up with some threads on this but still looking for a good step-by-step instruction with pics that could be used for a sticky.

Any takers?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I plan on doing this mod also but in a toss up as to wire it from the Cargo lamps or the backup lights. I'm doing some work around the cargo lights also. Looking at installing a backup camera up there to check out my gooseneck hitch when i back up don't wana hit my new aux tank

·
Premium Member
14,360 Posts
Look in my garage. I used KC back up lights, connected to the regular back up lights via a relay.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I remember asking about how to hook up aux reverse lights to the existing cargo light switch in the cab about a year ago. Cleaner look (no extra switches) and the indicator light for the cargo will remind you if you accidently left it and the reverse lights on. Got some feedback on how to install (it was a positive ground for the cargo switch) but needed someone to take pics and walk me through the wiring process and the responsed were not that clear to me. A search for "cargo light" or "reverse lights" will come up with some threads on this but still looking for a good step-by-step instruction with pics that could be used for a sticky.

Any takers?

Thanks in advance.
I will have to look at the cargo light wiring. I don't know why that would be any different than the rest of the truck. If you wanted to be able to turn them on as you say and also have them turn on with the reverse lights you could do it with a relay and feed with the signal with both with diodes in line on each. If I understand the cargo light it goes through the bcm.

·
Registered
418 Posts
i had my reverse lights tapped into the "aux lamps" switch on the dashboard. I jsut pulled the switch out, and spliced my power wire into the wire that was hot when the switch was turned one. I guess this could be the same for the cargo light...but beware...after about 2 months of use it melted my switch. when i tried to turn the lights on, the little light would light up, but the switch wouldn't "click" into the on position and stay on. i basically had to hold the switch down to use them. after pulling the switch out and taking it apart, the whole inside was burnt to a crisp.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I tapped the wire for the trailer plug back up light which is independent of the regular back up lights...I figured that it had a 10 A fuse for it and I was not using it for anything...two 55W slim line "general purpose" lights throw plenty of light for me...If i get ambitions enough, I will probably install a relay back there... install was a few feet of wire and did not have to run wires everywhere under the truck

·
Premium Member
18,123 Posts
8 of my '05, '06, and 07.5 GMC's have these http://www.servicemate.com/catalog/partdetail.aspx?PartNo=250 wired directly to the trailer backup wire (lt grn) without a relay and never a problem, ever. They are 55w each and for those with doubts, an 1156 bulb draws 2.1 Amp apiece and an H3 55w halogen draws 4.3 amp apiece. Some of mine have 150k miles on them already.

As for mounting, I use a piece of flat steel approx 4" long mounted to the lower inboard bumper bolt (where the step plastic ends) that extends toward the front of the truck, and then mount the lamp hanging down... We tried them straight thru the bumper bolt hole, but the departure angle was reduced and the lamps would be damaged. A pair of 55w floods makes a night and day difference and not having to switch them on each time, PRICELESS.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If your truck has the plow prep package it has a higher rated backup lamp circuit just for that purpose. I've got two 55W trapezoidal beam lamps from Tractor Supply under the bumper wired into my trailer harness. No probs, it helps a lot.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I tapped the wire for the trailer plug back up light which is independent of the regular back up lights...
8 of my '05, '06, and 07.5 GMC's have these http://www.servicemate.com/catalog/partdetail.aspx?PartNo=250 wired directly to the trailer backup wire (lt grn) without a relay and never a problem, ever.
Im guessing you guys are talking about the same wire here?

Does this cause the lights to automatically come on when the truck is put into R?

I also like the idea of having a switch to manually turn them on for a work light or something as well.

·
Premium Member
18,123 Posts
Im guessing you guys are talking about the same wire here?

Does this cause the lights to automatically come on when the truck is put into R?

I also like the idea of having a switch to manually turn them on for a work light or something as well.
In the 7 wire bundle feeding the factory trailer plug, there is a light green wire. This wire will support 10 amps of draw and becomes active only in reverse. So, yes, we are talking about the same wire. You can splice to it, or like me, since I don't have backup lights on any trailer, I just cut it.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
my 55watt lights come on when I put it in reverse and also when I hit the cargo light, I can also turn off a switch so they won't come on with the reverse light( dont need to run them in the daytime).

·
Registered
580 Posts
What kind of relay are you all using?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I picked up a set of PIAA driving lights what I'm going to use for reverse lights. I plan on hooking them up to the trailer plug harness with a relay. I want them to turn on when the truck is put into reverse, but I want to also wire a switch in so I can turn them on as work lights. Lately I have been in a drunken stooper with all of the Christmas party's I have been going to. So I haven't sketched out a schematic yet so I have everything mapped out. The only fear I have is back feeding the reverse light circuit. Anyone have any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts