Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved my Autometer Coablt gauges. Both a 1600* pyro and 35lb boost gauge. :D And a HUGE thanks to Patrick at Discountpowerparts.com :thumb:

Ok now for the questions. :eek::

Pyro:
1) What dash wire do you guys tap into for the lights?

2) And for hot and ground did you just run stright to a battery?

Boost:
1) Where do you tap for boost? before or after the intercooler?

2) I just have a boost gauge so I dont need the T splitter correct?

Interior:
1) Is there a hole above the dash and below the window to run the wires and tube? How did you bring yours into the cab?

2) My 2 pod pillar mount is black...my interior is a gray. Do I need to buy paint or is there a gray pillar mount?

Anyother tips or tricks?

Thanks alot guys! :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
SleeperTRK;1574324; said:
I just recieved my Autometer Coablt gauges. Both a 1600* pyro and 35lb boost gauge. :D And a HUGE thanks to Patrick at Discountpowerparts.com :thumb:

Pyro:

Boost:

Interior:
1) Is there a hole above the dash and below the window to run the wires and tube? How did you bring yours into the cab?

2) My 2 pod pillar mount is black...my interior is a gray. Do I need to buy paint or is there a gray pillar mount?

Anyother tips or tricks?

To answer some of your questions, read this post.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91927

I did a gage install on my LBZ, and it answers most of your questions.

You have to be careful with the LED lights in the gages.. If you tap into the dimmer wire in the switch, it will make the led lights blink and then go out. You have to purchase a dimmer box from Auto Meter, so dim the led bulbs.
I tied mine in so that the gages are on all the time. It is kind of nice some times in the sunlight or shadows, I never have a problem reading the numbers.

The only thing it might not cover is the T-Fitting, you don't need a T-Fitting because you don't have a boost signal line that goes to a blowoff valve. The LBZ & LLY uses a VVT, which controls the boost pressure through vanes in the turbo. The LB7 uses a conventional turbo and a release valve to control pressure. This release valve has a boost signal line, which gives the valve a reference pressure level, this is where you use the T-Fitting and tap in for your boost gage.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me..
Good luck, just make sure you give yourself a weekend to do it.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
SleeperTRK;1574630; said:
Thanks BigStu..PM sent :)
Aside from that wonderful info, I can help you in regards to the paint. You will have to get the spray can of plastic/vinyl paint to match the color of your interior. Not sure what grey you have, but I do have a couple cans of the grey from my year truck(93) from when I did my guages and stereo swap.

Mark:beerchug:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SleeperTRK;1574324; said:

Pyro:
Ill just find a constant hot, and wire in a small switch
Ill go straight to the battery with a small inline fuse
Boost:
After the intercooler, got it covered
Nope, got it covered
Interior:
Ill look around
Ill go buy some paint I guess
Anyother tips or tricks?

There does that look better?! :lol: Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
problems already! The little speaker is WAY to small for my opening in the dual gauge a-pillar mount...what up with that? It slips over the factory pillar cover but i wont be able to run wires with out cutting it up and it looks pretty gay with a 1/8 gap all the way around the speaker.

please help...did I buy the wrong mount?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BigStu would you give me call...my number is in your PM

Thanks

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
SleeperTRK;1576098; said:
problems already! The little speaker is WAY to small for my opening in the dual gauge a-pillar mount...what up with that? It slips over the factory pillar cover but i wont be able to run wires with out cutting it up and it looks pretty gay with a 1/8 gap all the way around the speaker.

please help...did I buy the wrong mount?
What brand is the pillar mount? My Autometer fits around the tweeter just fine. It is not an absolutley tight fit, but is not as sloppy looking as what you describe.

You might have to cut a notch in the bottom of the a-pillar itself (not the new pillar mount) to allow room for the wiring and boost tube. I did not with mine, but others here have had to.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, I got it figured out! Gauges are in, all wired up, all thats left is to drill and tap the boost.

Thanks for all your help guys! ill post some pics later :D

·
Registered
732 Posts
SleeperTRK;1576110; said:
BigStu would you give me call...my number is in your PM

Thanks
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
Had to work late and then had to do laundry after work. Realized I was down to my last clean pair of socks. YIKES!!!
Glad to hear you got it figured out.
If you need some help with anything else, just let me know..
Keep up the good work.
Stu

1 - 10 of 10 Posts