Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
after not finding a good write up i made my own .... here you go

parts needed

---autometer boost gauge ( or other as long as it has the 1/8npt fitting)

---1/8-27 npt pipe thread tap

---5/16 drill bit

---male 1/8npt compression fitting ( i just got the nylon hose kit from sunpro, available at autozone or advance)

you could probably find the fitting without getting the kit but i just got it because it was convenient at the time

this write up may be elementary to some, but im sure some will appreciate it ...

i appologize for the low quality cellphone pics... forgive me (hehe)

First, take off your upper intake manifold, theres 6 bolts on top, 2 sensors to unplug, and the hose and brace to the turbo.

Then decide where your going to have your boost source location, i chose the back right side, put your intake in a vise so its stable to drill, (if you dont have a vise you should go buy one immediately)

This is a picture of the tap i got from SEARS

be sure you have the intake in the vise so the surface your working with is flat, then drill the 5/16 hole where desired. put the tap in the hole with the tapping tool, make sure its level and with good pressure start turning the tap clockwise in the hole, this is the most crucial part to get right. the tap will begin to cut into the hole, making the threads. once you see the tap get through to the bottom a lil bit youll want to back the tap out and back in a few times to clear the new threads of metal shavings

right here is about where you want to stop so you can make good use of the threads. since pipe threads are tapered you can make the hole a lil too big and the fitting wont fit as snug as youd like.

back out the tap and make sure all metal shavings are cleaned up and this is what you get

now get your male 1/8npt fitting and wrap some teflon tape around it. this will give it a good seal. screw in the fitting and DONT over tighten, cast aluminum is not the strongest metal!

ill definitely finish up this article tomorrow, it got dark and i had to pick up some more things for my home made turbo master

·
Registered
427 Posts
Nice pics!! I installed mine a while ago but you will clear up many guys questions. Nice write up! Possibility for this to be in the FAQ??

·
Registered
248 Posts
Good write-up. Pipe dope is also a good alternative to teflon tape. Exposed tape in the system can break down and find its way into your motor. Found out the hard way in an airbag system on my gasser, cost me some valves. But its probably not a big concern in a diesel, should just pass thru harmlessly....just a thought...

·
Registered
865 Posts
How long did this take? This maybe my next project

·
Registered
427 Posts
Mine took about a half hour to install the 1/8 inch fitting in the upper intake. That includes removing the upper intake, drilling, tapping, cleaning the shavings out w/brake cleaner, and reinstalling. I mounted the gauge and ran the line the day before. It is a very simple installation and the boost gauge is a very valuable instrument.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anyone with general knowledge of mechanics can do this job in less than an hour easily

i am always SUPER careful not to get any teflon tape on the inside of whatever im using it on.... i learned the hard way on a paintball gun one time....

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well done, Nice write-up

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks real good. Great documentation

·
Registered
268 Posts
I can't believe that your upper plenum is so clean!!! When I pulled mine to tap for boost it was so gunked up, I spent much time with it but still it never looked like that. Oh and the mess it made in the drive way I still get on my shoes and track it around!!! That stuff is nasty! On the plus side I found she picked up her performance after I cleaned it out, just wish it woulda cleaned up like urs did!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey thanks for the write up, I was getting ready to put one on mine, so your timing was perfect!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well for some reason i couldnt edit the original post but heres the final install pics.... not the prettiest place, but i like to see whats going on without even moving my head

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Great job, nice and clean... so far :D... How about an underhood pic with everything installed/routed?

This deserves a DIY sticky.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im definitely going back and routing the nylon tubing better its just sorta all over the place right now... the stuff doesnt really like to bend out of the circles it comes wrapped in

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Damn that's a clean engine bay... You live in there or what? ;)

My 95 had as much oil out side the engine as it did inside...

·
Registered
865 Posts
Where did you route the tubing ? Steering section?

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Damn that's a clean engine bay... You live in there or what? ;)

My 95 had as much oil out side the engine as it did inside...
Simple Green & Hot water works for me, when was last time you did a hot water heater bottom blow, I hook my hose to that, squirt the engine down with SG and then use the hot water from opened hot water drain to rinse off the engine, kill 2 tasks with 1 work effort.

Good write up I'll add it to FAQ next to EGT install FAQ

·
Registered
772 Posts
Instead of drilling and tapping, I just pulled the boost sensor on top
of intake, went to Home Depot and got a tee and nipple, and
reinstalled it

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Simple Green & Hot water works for me, when was last time you did a hot water heater bottom blow, I hook my hose to that, squirt the engine down with SG and then use the hot water from opened hot water drain to rinse off the engine, kill 2 tasks with 1 work effort.
Good idea TD... Good thing the 98 is leak free though :D I'll try your meathod next time I go bury it up to the frame rails in mud... Still cleanin mud off from the last few bogs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Where did you route the tubing ? Steering section?
Dunno if it's a common fitment to all the C/K series, but my truck has a square hole through the firewall, with a plastic clip-in plug in it.

Location is inboard of the steering column, from the engine side of the firewall, and above and forward of the throttle pedal, from the inside.

I popped mine out, and drilled it for the 1/8 line, then popped it back into it's position.

Better than trying to squeeze it through against the edge of bare metal, or where there were already a bunch of wires tight packed through a hole.

For the Canadians that live near a Princess Auto, they sell a pressure gauge install kit for about $5 that has the hose and two fittings, as well as a 1/4NPT to 1/8NPT reducer, for holes that got out of hand. :)

I went really cheap. I bought a 0-20 PSI 3" pressure gauge and hacked together an adapter for it. Some sticky backed velcro is going to hold it to the center console beside the transfer case shifter.

Cheers
Trev

1 - 20 of 54 Posts