Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 owners manual list Auto-Trak II Fluid as the lube for the Automatic Transfer Case. What the heck is this? Is this just a GM name for Dextron III?

·
Registered
149 Posts
The auto trak fluid is for the auto trak transfer case which 2500HD trucks do NOT have. You may have an auto transfer case, which is a different animal than the auto trak transfer case. The automatic has the push buttons for 4X4 use, instead of the floor mounted shifter. The auto trak has the push buttons with one of them labeled "auto". This automatically shifts into 4X4 when it "feels" the truck lose traction. Sound confusing ??? Good because my head hurts now...

On edit...About the fluids...The auto trak takes a special auto trak fluid, and the others Dexron III.Edited by: BamaFan

·
Registered
361 Posts
I recently went through this confusion. You 4x4 takes atf Fluid. I am changeing mine today and putting in TranSynd. The best explanation I got was our trucks all have a manual transfer case. Weather their a shift on the floor or buttons on the dash the case is the same. The manual sucks at explaining this and the drawings they show make it look like a autotrak case on our trucks
One manual for every truck you know

1 - 3 of 3 Posts