Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own an 03' Dmax. I'm looking into putting auto start on this truck. Does anyone have any Ideas on what system to go with?

A few questions-

If I have injector problems in the future, and hard starting issues arise, will it burn out the starter? Will it burn out the auto start system?

What does the system cost? what does the install consist of? (chopping a million wires)?

What is the best system? If I spent 35K on a truck, why not get the best!

What are the ranges of the system?

Are there any hidden procedures that an installer won't tell you about and will lead to future problems?

Are the systems complete with everything? or do I need to buy other components to make it run right?

All information is greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Get a 300 dollar car alarm with remote start. Set the remote to 10 second delay for glows.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
10 second delay??? Any good remote starter has a wire hooked up to the glow plug indicator. When the light goes off, the truck starts. Doing it any other way is no good.

I currently own an 03' Dmax. I'm looking into putting auto start on this truck. Does anyone have any Ideas on what system to go with?

Astrostart is by far the best in my opinion. You might have a hard time finding them in your area. Where are you from? www.astroflex.com

If I have injector problems in the future, and hard starting issues arise, will it burn out the starter? Will it burn out the auto start system?

No

What does the system cost? what does the install consist of? (chopping a million wires)?

About $200 and up depending on what type or system you go with and how many features etc. Properly done, there are no wires cut. A typicall remote starter install without any extras consists of tapping into around 10 or so wires. Basically you are tapping into the ignition switch (about 5 or 6 wires depeding on the brand), glow plug delay wire, tach sense, brake sense, ground and passlock security bypass.

What is the best system? If I spent 35K on a truck, why not get the best!

Again this is my opinion but I highly recommend astro start. The 5204 is the highest model they offer. It is a full alarm system with 2 way page back and 2000+ feet of range.

Are there any hidden procedures that an installer won't tell you about and will lead to future problems?

Well, the only thing I can think of is that I would make sure he uses a data based passlock bypass such as this one: http://www.bypasskit.com/PLDATA.asp

Are the systems complete with everything? or do I need to buy other components to make it run right?

You will need a passlock bypass as state above and also if you want the keyless entry added to it you will need a data keyless bypass such as astros IM-HDT-1 or this one http://www.bypasskit.com/proddetails.asp?prodid=GMDL4

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there two bypass kits?

If so, do I need both kits?

Does the bypass kit come with the astro start system?

If not, how much more is the bypass kit?

What is the order # on the bypass kit?

Can I order directly from that website link?

As I said before, I appreciate all the info.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Yes there are 2 bypasskits. One bypasses the passlock security system so the truck will start. (needed) The other is an interface to work the door locks and factory alarm (optional)

The bypasskit does not come with the astrostart but astro start does manufacture them.

I am not 100% sure on the retail prices of the bypasses but they will be around $50-100 each installed.

Astro starts passlock bypass is a 310-061-511 and the IM-HDT-1 is 310-909-507.

No you can not order directly from astroflex. I can sell them to you but it is not something that just anyone can install.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
15 Posts
TommyJr,

I have an 03. I just put a Viper 591x with the two-way paging and locks. So far no complaints. Distance they claim 1500' to 2000'. (they being the place I bought it from)I really don't know how accurate that is. Personally, I have started it from inside a building to my vehicle (approx 500' out in the parking lot.) That's all that really matters to me as long as it starts when I am inside work. I also had the installer wire another relay in for the high idle. I will run this off of my auxillary output.(located on the fob) I have not wired the high idle yet. I know this should work based on what MAX POWER has said.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
do you still use the factory FOB if you replace alarm features ? What about the "environment" settings (seat memory, etc,etc) ?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Max

Are you aware of any alarms or autostart units that will interface with a cellular phone or a pager (even a two pager)? I had a Clifford years ago that was capable, but I never bought the phone interface. Anything you could hook to a relay you could control by the phone.

I have to park about a 1/2 mile from my office. It can start it from 300' or so but it would be nice to start it from my office before I headed out. Using a pager, and sending it a code would be idea, but I'm open to other solutions.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
ski1, the factory fobs will still work as factory. Hooked up properly the remote starter fobs will disarm and arm the factory alarm identically to the factory fobs.

Professor, One option you might have is a timer. Quite a few companies including astro start offer at timer that will start your truck at a pre determined time like an alarm clock.

Astro starts have 2600 feet of range so they might work in your situation as well.

I know I have seen a product that will do what you want it to do but I can't seem to find it at the moment. Here is a do it yourself version if you are interested http://www.aeinnovations.com/old-projects/carstart/

I will see if I can come up with anything for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would recomend any of the Viper remote starts or remote start/alarm combo. I have been a DEI dealer for 15 years and stock all of the units and modules. Email me if you are interested and I can send you a unit. They are extremely reliable if properly installed. If you have not done it before, I would definitely recomend professional installation.Good Luck

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Of course a DEI dealer is going to say that

Just kidding, DEI does have a decent product. They aren't without their problems but the majority is decent when installed correctly. A good installation is 90% of the battle.

I have a few other problems with DEI that I won't get into here but quality is not one of them.Edited by: Max Power

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Max Power

You mention a glow plug indicator wire to hook up the remote start to instead of a timer.

Which wire (Color) and where is the easiest place to tap into it.

And would it be a negative or a postive input into the remote start brain to trip the starter engagement. I found the white wire behind the dash cluster for the tach input, but im not sure about the glow plug light.

Thx for any help Diesel Dragon

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
The wire is dark blue behind the instrument cluster. It reads - when the glow plug light is on and + when the light is off. Your starter will need to have a glow plug input for this to work.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MaxPower-

I'm located in Hudson, WI. Just east of MInneapolis, MN.

Are you a vendor? If so, send me a price of your system and the bypass kits.

Can any astro installer put this in? I had an astro starter on my previous truck, can that same guy put it in?

If it takes a special installer to put this in, how do I locate someone like this?

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Thx Max Power

I'll have to double check on the remote starter to see if it has a glow plug input.

Bye Diesel Dragon

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
TommJr said:
MaxPower-

I'm located in Hudson, WI. Just east of MInneapolis, MN.

Are you a vendor? If so, send me a price of your system and the bypass kits.

Can any astro installer put this in? I had an astro starter on my previous truck, can that same guy put it in?

If it takes a special installer to put this in, how do I locate someone like this?
Yes I am a vendor. I am in an hour west of Winnipeg Manitoba. too far of a drive for you?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MaxPower-

Winnipeg isn't too far to drive, but don't you have a catalog or website were I can order your products.

Winnipeg is about 455 miles from here. So to drive 8-9 hours, then wait for a 4-5 hour install. I can probably find someone down here to do it.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
You probably can find someone there to do it. It is darn hard to find good work though. I can install it in a lot less the 4-5 hours. I don't have astro start on my website but if you go to www.astroflex.com and tell me what you want i can get you a price. If your going to get it installed at an astro start dealer anyways you might be better to buy from them as well.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Any way to get the heated leather to come on when remote started???? That would be sweet. I will look into this and let you know what one i want. Later Jeremy

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MaxPower-

I'm having the toughest time trying to locate a Astroflex dealer. I've e-mailed the company directly 4 times, and no response. Maybe you can help me find out what's going on. I really want to use there product, but if no response what the heck do I do?

Everybody installs the viper system. Maybe I have to go to them. I need this by Christmas.

Thanks again

1 - 20 of 23 Posts