Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 K2500 4x4 and the fron hubs are locked up. They stayed locked in after I shifted out of 4hi the other day so the whole front axle keeps turning causing some vibrations at different speeds. Does anyone know what activates the hubs on these trucks? Or has anyone had this problem and have any tips for getting them to unstick? I am thinking they would probably disengage if it warmed up but I am unfamilar with how these work since in the past I have had solid front axles.

Matt

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think the owners manual said something like what Fastcr said... I'm not sure though.

I have recently been troubleshooting that my 4wd doesn't work so at least I can tell you how that works...
There is an actuator on the passenger side that engages a shifter fork.
On our trucks this device is thermal, that is to say that it heats up and the heat causes it to engage or cools to disengage.

This device was upgraded on later trucks and GM sells a wiring adapter so we can use it too. Total cost for actuator and wiring adapter is ~$150.

You can also buy a purely mechanical actuator for about the same price.
http://www.eastcoastoffroad.com/posi/#kseries

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The front driveshaft is disengaged from the front differential. So the actuator is working. Do the front half shafts always turn with the wheels on these trucks?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I found the vibration. The rubber around the carrier bearing seems to have shrunk causing play in the driveshaft which would cause the vibration.

Anyone have this happen before?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Wolken;1595431; said:
The front driveshaft is disengaged from the front differential. So the actuator is working. Do the front half shafts always turn with the wheels on these trucks?
I think that is the way it is suppose to operate. My son has a '90 k2500 and I posted the other day about manual locking hubs...the front end isn't designed to accomodate these hubs. The half shaft is splined and the wheel hub mates, there is no way to disengage.

At least that is what I have learned after changing both half shafts.

MaxRock

1 - 6 of 6 Posts