Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I disable the Auto On headlight function ?

Would simply unplugging the Sensor on top of the dash work or will that just turn them on all the time ?

Some one mentioned something about a resistor or something being spliced into the wiring.

Does any one know ?

Thx

DD

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
unplugging the ambient light sensor will keep them on all the time. It will also mess with your climate control...

·
Registered
825 Posts
^ What he said.

All I know is that if you turn the knob to the left all the way, it will temporarily disable the auto light feature, but once you restart the truck, they're back on again!

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand about turning the headight knob to the left but I'm sure I'll forget once in a while, so I would just rather disable the system all together and just turn the lights on manually when I need them.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
I'm going to take apart the dash and see if I can't fix the switch so it will stay in the off position.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
dozerboy are you taking apart your Blazer? The electrical systems are all different.. ;)

·
Registered
825 Posts
He's probably taking apart the 81 Ford in his Garage.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
dozerboy are you taking apart your Blazer? The electrical systems are all different.. ;)
Nope I got a new toy but not the time to post the story.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am very interested in finding out the answer to this.... before I install my HIDs. Anybody figure it out yet? Where is Max Power?

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I know you can do it temporarily by pushing the dome light button on and off four times. As far as permanent I can't help you...

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Max Power where are you ?

We need you.

Vacation time is over, time to get back to important stuff :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Max Power where are you ?

We need you.

Vacation time is over, time to get back to important stuff :)

:exactly: STEP AWAY FROM THE MARGARITAS!! :joke:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have been using a 1 watt led flashlight to fool the sensor into daytime mode.
Just turn key to acc, shine light on sensor until the instrument lights go out, truck starts with lights out.

When I get the time I am looking into putting in a 15 to 20 sec. time-delay relay on the auto light circuit. That should give enough time for the start up sequence and still have the auto light bling.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I wonder if there's some way of wiring a 'bypass' through the light sensor? I am not as electronically inclined as I'd like to be in this field, so maybe someone with expertise could chime in?

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I read it but am a little confused, will the Paperclip trick work or not work on a 03 ?

And if it does which 2 wires were the right ones for the headlights and NOT the auto climate temp sensor ?

I hope nothing gets fried by putting a paper clip in there.

Thx for the link.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
D ill try to look up which wires are the ambient light sensor and which are sunload sensor..

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I'm in the other boat... I wish there were a way to make mine MORE sensitive.
We've got this stupid new law that says that you have to run your lights any time viz is bad enough so that you can't see over, IIRC, 200ft OR any time conditions warrant continued use of the wipers.

Okay... I can use Rain-X and not use the wipers, but somehow I don't think Officer Friendly will agree that I still don't need my lights to be on.

Anyways, it's gotta be DARK before they come on... I don't mean pitch black night, but it's pushing a little late at dusk. Overcast or rain? Nope... gotta toss a hat over the sensor, and sometimes that's not enough.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
What you can't turn the switch? :muahaha:

That what I do if it's snowing hard or foggy...

Do you have manual climate control? I'd trade you sensors, mine comes on too early...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts