Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was playing with my Bose audio system radio last night and noticed that when I pushed AUTO EQ that I only had a choice of CUSTOM or TALK. I look in my owner's manual and sure enough those are the only two choices you get with Bose. Does anyone know why this is? I must have never hit that button before in this truck because I always assumed that there were like 6 or 7 settings to choose from. Oh well, just curious!

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
On the old Delco "Theftlock" radios (1995-2002) there were different settings like pop, country, rock, talk, classical, etc... All these were is pre set bass and treble settings. Nothing more. It did not do any "active equalizing" or anything special like that.

The Bose non-luxury (premium) system only offers two settings because its not really worth having the different settings if you can attain the exact same thing by simply adjusting the bass and treble settings manually. This is just my guess as to why it only has two settings. So basically, you're not missing much by not having these settings.

The Bose Luxury systems (Escalade and Denali) have different DSP effects such as "Driver" "Passenger" "rear" and "spacious" which alter the speaker timing and it adds effects to the sound to make it sound different. This is availble because the Luxury amp actually has its own onboard computer/DSP that can adjust the sound to these settings. The stock Bose amps in the Silverados/Sierras/Tahoes/Suburbans etc dont have this capability...however its becoming increasingly popular to swap in Escalade/Denali Bose amps to our trucks to gain these features as well as MUCH MUCH MUCH better sound quality. No speaker changes needed, just plug the amp in and change a few wires on the harness...

Ben

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to do the upgrade because it seems like my Bose system is sounding weaker lately. More than likely it's because I'm getting use to the sound and my old truck had such a crappy sound system. However I can't justify the money for a lux amp and my wife would never give me the permission anyway....:blahblah:...because she knows I loved the sound when I bought the truck Oh well, live and learn.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I would love to do the upgrade because it seems like my Bose system is sounding weaker lately. More than likely it's because I'm getting use to the sound and my old truck had such a crappy sound system. However I can't justify the money for a lux amp and my wife would never give me the permission anyway....:blahblah:...because she knows I loved the sound when I bought the truck Oh well, live and learn.
It's not your fault they didn't offer Bose Luxury when you bought your truck. ;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
No speaker changes needed, just plug the amp in and change a few wires on the harness...
I thought I read in the DIY section that the Bose "Premium" factory radio would not work with the luxury amp. Please tell me that all I have to do is plug in a new "luxury" amp and change a few wires on the harness (without changing the head unit)!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts