Diesel Place banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Just unplugging the 4l80e isn't going to work, because it's electronically controlled. I believe you can get standalone computers to control it, and some people have just hooked up a bunch of switches to run the various things directly (you still need the physically shift lever on the transmission to be moved as well).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the speedy reply, but what switches do you speak of? Maybe I'm making it confusing but I'm trying to take out the auto and replace with a manual NV4500, not a manually shifted auto which is how I read your reply.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Sorry, I was referring to getting a 4l80e to work. Not applicable for what you are trying to do.

·
Registered
103 Posts
G'day RedMercury,

That's a nice build you're progressing there.

You might want to get the ECM reflashed to suit the manual g'box setup....might not be absolutely necessary but will probably help the running (better suited fuel tune etc) and better matching of sensors/functionality/fault code scenarios.

You might also find that dealing directly with experienced people/traders in the states is (in the majority of cases) more worthwhile than trying to get switched on knowledgeable support from oz........for most requirements.

For the ECM requirements....., I would try contacting Quadstar87 (a member on here) who does some reflash/tuning ..............or perhaps Heath Diesel (Bill Heath) who also provides tuning/reflashing solutions.

Cheers....:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi Old6500 and thanks for the advice. I actually paid for a tune just yesterday with Quadstar so hoping that will sort any conversion issues. I can't wait to do the swap but I'm thinking I haven't even started to see the complications yet. The pedal assembly for the RHD is my biggest issue and then there's the clutch master which is right where my 4"exhaust is.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah, that will prove troublesome........i.e. not enough space between exhaust downpipe and required position for clutch master, if the space was there but close...with enough separation you might fit heat shielding for protection....but without the space you'll have to move something.

You could consider relocating the master higher on the firewall and redesign/construct lever/arm type arrangement from the (planned) existing clutch pedal pivot/arm to the higher 'push rod' arm/pivot point for the relocation.

Can't think of anything else immediately, but Ill chime in if I do......:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I started taking the nv4500 apart and seeing if there was any major damage, not that I suspected so. It appeared fine.

My next hurdle is swapping over the 4x4 main shaft to a 4x2 one. I'm guessing I just record the order in which I take bearings, gears and synchro etc off but if anyone has any suggestions I'll listen.

If it's too tricky I'll just take it to a shop, I have all the parts and was just going to re-use most of them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Wondering if the plug in the box is the reverse light? The new 4x2 casing has a spot for a speedo I'm guessing, whereas the 4x4 one I just took off didn't have one, and I'm guessing that's because it was in the transfer case instead?

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
There's been a bit of work going on. The NV4500 is in and I've given it a test drive. I finished up the wiring after that and hopefully it works as it should. I'll post proper write up later with more photos. It shifts nicely which I'm surprised by as I did the rebuild myself. I can't get over first gear, its lower than my last 4x4 in low range!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts