1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
819 Posts
I would LOVE to see those two races in person. I hope the diesels hold together for a good showing.

jc

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I read an article about that car. Its really a nice setup. They stated that the gassers will be faster, but the diesel will get more laps on a tank of fuel than the gassers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey I drive an Audi and a Duramax, I've gots to be happy :grd:

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump - I caught the last 30 minutes of speed channels coverage of the opening of the race. The cars sound wild. They have 1-2 positions and fast lap.

Coverage resumes 2:30 pm eastern.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I read an article about that car. Its really a nice setup. They stated that the gassers will be faster, but the diesel will get more laps on a tank of fuel than the gassers.
How come the Audi's set new lap records if the gassers are faster?

The biggest complaints from the drivers have to do with controlling the monster torque and hitting shift points when they can't hear the engine rev's. Our VW is also very quiet once we get up to cruising speed and with all of the wind noise in the open proto's, I can only imagine how it dominates over the engine sound at higher speeds.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I did watch some of the 12 hours at seebring. They were all suprised at the time. My comment was what I read in Road and Track. Nice setup , I couldn't hear the sound very well to much commentating when the car went by.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
451 Posts
I watched some of the race and that TDI was impressive. I liked the in car cam in the C6 Corvette, going into a curve the TDI passed the Vette and with the Vette jamming gears and hitting 167mph on the strait the TDI walked away like the Vette was sitting still. I know they were in a different class but it gave people an idea of just how fast that car is. The is the kind of thing that will make people take notice and help promote more options and Diesel advancements in the future. Hummm, for the clueless out there that saw the race I wonder if they are intimidated when they see the TDI letters on the back of my Jetta.......nah.

BTW TDI stands for Turbo Direct Injection. The announcer said Turbo Diesel Injection...you would think he could get it right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The guys at Audi were sandbagging big with the R-10 at sebring, the motor package and fuel are a special breed, with the goal being lemans 24hr. having been twice myself, it's the toughest race for the machine.
Like enzo Ferrari said " torque wins races" Look for some fireworks in the way of protests before the race.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I would imagine if they didi win by too big a margin that they would probabely have to run a smaller restricter in the throttle plate to cut power or maybe get more a weight penalty.
Diesel fuel is heavier that the regular fuel they use so I could see where they get a leg up in the weight department as the fuel gets used up. But then again, with all that torque, a little weight wouldn't make that big a deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts