Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy is about to buy a 2000 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 with the 5.3, 80,000 miles and its in pretty good shape. What are you likes/ dislikes and what kind of problems have you had, all info appreciated. thanks

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
My dad has an '03 with about 70k on it. Its a good vehicle, the only complaints that I have about it are the brakes. They work well, but jsut dont have a very reassuring pedal feel. Only problems hes had are the clunk in the steering and his EBCM (ABS computer) went bad).

--ben

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
my buddy just bought a 01 w/110k and has had no probs via vin check.Runs realy strong and no leaks!!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
my boss (wife) has a 02 Z71 tahoe, we love it..56,000 on the od, no problems,still has the original "goodyear wrangler at " tires..but she babbies it!

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Keep an eye on the rear brakes (wear faster than fronts). Only known problems are the steering clunk and ABS module.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
We had an '02 yukon, never had any problems.....had it for 50K miles. The only reason we sold it was because of gas prices, and the amount of fuel my wife was using in a week....-:t

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Wife has an '01 GMC Yukon, which is the same as the Chevy Tahoe (only better :) )

93K on it. We've been happy with it. Good running motor. Some of the engines around that year have the GM piston slap problems that make them sound like a diesel sometimes.

I'd buy another one.

·
Registered
808 Posts
We had an '02 yukon, never had any problems.....had it for 50K miles. The only reason we sold it was because of gas prices, and the amount of fuel my wife was using in a week....-:t
Exactly, same situation for my wife and I, same mileage and year for us. No problems ever with it. I did think the motor is a little under powered. We had 6" lift and 33" tires that also hurt the gas mileage.
I think the tahou/yukon is a perfect vehicle for a family. I will be moving ina couple months and my wife wont have to commute any more we will probably sell her BMW and go back to a Yukon 2007.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wife likes her 02 Tahoe. Like others have said brakes are not the best, or they do not feel the best, but get the job done. The ac went out at 25000miles the compressor died,replaced under warrenty. If Gm would put a DIESEL in a Tahoe or burban we would be first in line to get one.Will Gm do this? NO they would rather watch there company circle the drain. I think it is a race, Ford or Gm, who will go out of bussines first?

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
we have an 03 z71 with no problems. we have over 50k on it, we have the torsion bars raised to max on it. we used it to tow our toy hauler for over a year before I got the cc d/a

great vehicle, though i would be a little leary about the 00's as they are first year production run of that body style.............imho

·
Registered
301 Posts
HDjeff. whom ever is selling that tahoe is a very lucky guy to find a buyer...over here in so cal (LA) area all the new cars i see are toyotas and hondas...WTF. i guess its the fuel prices again????

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HDjeff. whom ever is selling that tahoe is a very lucky guy to find a buyer...over here in so cal (LA) area all the new cars i see are toyotas and hondas...WTF. i guess its the fuel prices again????
actually its from a chevy dealer about 30 min away, looked at another one but gmc yukon at a gmc dealer. both are nice, same milage and price. my buddy thats looking at them used to own a honda civic( fart can, intake, and he beat the crap out of it) lol what a peice of crap that was. i dont think he is going to go foreign again. he will sacrafice milage, but have a nicer vehicle to drive.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Bought a '03 Yukon XL over the holidays, 5.3 flex fuel. 1 owner and a whopping 4600 miles on the ticker! VIN checked out OK. So far so good, we drive 1200 miles each month for medical prposes and the mileage on the interstate is approx. 18.5 on E10, 14-16 on E85.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
My wife's 2002 Yukon XL has about 58,000 miles on it and has had nothing major. Great riding truck. No need for a car.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The wife has a 2002 Tahoe LT. Great riding truck and enjoyable road trip truck for the kids. Quiet ride and good engine. Ditto the brake feel. They stop the truck well, but the pedal feel does leave something to be desired.
the engine runs strong, but prefers higher RPMs. Not a lot of grunt off the line, and at our altitude towing in the hills leaves something to be desired (which is why I have a Duramax :ro) )
Tows great on the flats, but the towing mileage sucks the big one at 9.8 MPG towing 5500-6000 lbs. Whenever I drive it we seem to get 18-19 MPG while she gets about 16 Censored, of course she does the soccer mom around town driving while I end up highway cruising at 75-80.
Hate the stock tires on the truck. 265-70R16 Wilderness LEs. They suck in the snow, but 4 wd and locking rear haven't let me down yet. Did I mention it's a soccer mom truck and hasn't been in the real heavy stuff though?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts