Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUST WANTED TO LET THOSE WHO HAVE 4X4'S YOU MIGHT WANNA CHECK YOUR TRASFERCASE OIL LEVEL. MY UNCLE HAS A '01 D/A 4X4 WITH 60,000 MILES ON IT, IT BEGAN MAKING NOISES AND JUMPING OUT OF GEAR (THE TRASFERCASE) HE TOOK IT TO THE DEALER AND THEY REVEALED THAT THE TRANSFER CASE CAME WITH NO OIL FROM THE FACTORY AND HAS HATCHED. I KNOW WHAT LOTS OF YOU ARE GONNA SAY " WELL IT MUST HAVE LEAKED OUT" THIS TRUCK WAS PARKED ON A CEMENT DRIVEWAY ALL OF ITS LIFE AND NEVER HAS LEAKED A DROP OF OIL WHAT SO EVER. THE OUTSIDE OF THE CASE HAS NO OIL RESIDUE WHAT SO EVER. THE DEALER IS TRYING TO GET GM TO PICKUP THE TAB SINCE IT WAS NEVER OILED.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Why in the world would GM replace it for free? Makes no sense to me! He drove the truck for 60,000 miles and never checked the level or changed the fluid. I think the cost should be absorbed by the owner.
60,000 miles for a dry transfer case sounds like it must be built tough.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
60,000 miles with no oil is amazing! I am surprised that it made it more then 100 miles!

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
PEANUTGRWR said:
JUST WANTED TO LET THOSE WHO HAVE 4X4'S YOU MIGHT WANNA CHECK YOUR TRASFERCASE OIL LEVEL. MY UNCLE HAS A '01 D/A 4X4 WITH 60,000 MILES ON IT, IT BEGAN MAKING NOISES AND JUMPING OUT OF GEAR (THE TRASFERCASE) HE TOOK IT TO THE DEALER AND THEY REVEALED THAT THE TRANSFER CASE CAME WITH NO OIL FROM THE FACTORY AND HAS HATCHED. I KNOW WHAT LOTS OF YOU ARE GONNA SAY " WELL IT MUST HAVE LEAKED OUT" THIS TRUCK WAS PARKED ON A CEMENT DRIVEWAY ALL OF ITS LIFE AND NEVER HAS LEAKED A DROP OF OIL WHAT SO EVER. THE OUTSIDE OF THE CASE HAS NO OIL RESIDUE WHAT SO EVER. THE DEALER IS TRYING TO GET GM TO PICKUP THE TAB SINCE IT WAS NEVER OILED.

Hello..........

The dealer is required to do a PDI--- PRE DELIVERY INSPECTION.

If they signed off on they are liable.

Hope it works out.

T
NY

·
Registered
138 Posts
I frankly would be suspicious of any Transfer Case that DIDN'T leak!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Was thinking that it may be leaking into the tranny via the front seal, there is no way on the good earth that a transfer case will last 60k with no oil in it, even if 4x was never used.. There is just no way.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
60,000 with no fluid! That should make someone I know feel better.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
dmaxalliTech said:
Was thinking that it may be leaking into the tranny via the front seal, there is no way on the good earth that a transfer case will last 60k with no oil in it, even if 4x was never used.. There is just no way.
I would think the front seal in the transfer case would be leaking alowing for flow into the Allison via the roller bearing,.like Eric says ?? T-case only holds two quarts ..... How much did you put in Peanutgrwer ??

You be quiet Jesse ..... Thursday you can remind me ....

Mac

Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THE TRUCK HASNT BEEN IN 4X4 PROB 20 MILES TOTAL. I KNOW----- THEY'RE COMPONENTS IN THE TRANSFERCASE THAT ARE TURNING NO MATTER IF ITS 4WD OR NOT. THE DEALER SAYS IT DIDNT COME WITH OIL AND IT HAD NEVER LEAKED ANY===EXTERNALLY SO???????

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
PEANUTGRWR said:
................ THE DEALER SAYS IT DIDNT COME WITH OIL AND IT HAD NEVER LEAKED ANY===EXTERNALLY SO???????

Then I'd say that falls into the catagory of "Thats our story and we're sticking to it' while letting the general pickup the tab ~ ~ ~ Edited by: ShumDit

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WELL AS MANY OF YOU MAY HAVE GUESSED GM DIDNT WARRANTY THE TC. SO IT WAS BROUGHT HOME AND WE TOOK THE TC OUT OURSELVES. AFTER WE GOT IT OUT AND SPLIT IT IT WAS EASY TO SEE WHAT THE CAUSE WAS.-------FIRST OF ALL IT WASNT OUT OF OIL. THE GM TECH TOOK OUT THE PLUG AND COULNT TOUCH ANY OIL SO HE ASSUMED IT WAS OUT ---"WRONG" IT WAS RIGHT BELOW THE FULL LEVEL. WHAT TRASHED THE CASE WAS THAT IT HAS AN OIL PUMP AND PICKUP TUBE. WELL WHAT CONNECTS THE PICKUP TUBE TO THE PUMP IS A SMALL RUBBER HOSE CONNECTOR THAT SLIPS OVER BOTH THE PUMP AND THE TUBE TO CONNECT THEM. THE OILPUMP PICKUP TUBE HAD CAME OFF OF THE PUMP THEREFORE IT WASNT OILING PROPERLY. THIS GAULED ONE OF THE SHIFTING FORKS IN THE CASE. AFTER SEEING THE INNER WORKINGS OF THE CASE AND SEEING HOW LIGHT IT IS HAS ENDED MY 4X4 LAUNCHES. GUYS THIS THING WIEGHS ABOUT THE SAME A A SACK OF PLANTING SEED. FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT DONT KNOW HOW MUCH THAT IS ITS 50LBS. GM SCREWED THE POOCH ON THIS SET UP!!!!!! NOT NEAR HEAVY ENOUGH AND A PITIFUL WAY TO KEEP THE SUMP TUBE CONNECTED TO THE PUMP. AND THE SHIFTING FORKS ARE ALUMINIUMEdited by: PEANUTGRWR

·
Registered
494 Posts
Peanut you may be right about the sump tube but the rest of the transfer case is very strong. Why on earth would aluminum not be good enough for a shifting fork? All it has to do is slip it into gear, there is hardly any force needed to keep it in. I have put these Transfer cases thru torture and they are much stronger than the old iron stuff even though they are lighter.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MAYBE LOOKS ARE DECIEVING---------- SURE IS LIGHT THOUGH.

·
Registered
494 Posts
They are rated for more than twice the tq of the old 205 transfer case.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Lots of good dialogue. For one I thank PEANUTGROWER for reminding me to check it all, from new on. Sorry the General wouldn't help PEANUT.

Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts