Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Juice and attitudes on the way, Should be here tomorrow. Really looking forward to it. Couple of questions before I install it. Need some info on where to install probe. I've heard different opinions as to where it should go, pre or post turbo. one mechanic I spoke with was very vocal that it should be post turbo so if anything broke it wouldn't mess up the turbo. I thought the concern was EGTs going into the turbo. I know this has probably been talked over before if so give me a link to the thread.

Also is it best to adjust the power up slowly level one for a day then two for a while so the truck can "learn " the new power? don't know if I can standthe pressure of going all the way on the first drive. over 24 hrs til juice time can't stand the wait. I'll be at the shop before the sun comes up waiting for the delivery truck

This DMAX has became an addiction and I'm hooked. Thanks for all the great info, but you guys costing me lots of money. I need this and that two of those can't live without that, will it ever end?!?!?!?!?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Pre turbo lets you monitor what you really care about. The EGT coming from the engine. Post Turbo is just a guess as to how much hotter it is before the turbo.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Burkm,

I have not installed my probe yet . I have a Banks exaust that would be a breeze to take off and have a bung welded on for a probe. I like the fact that at this location you are getting a combined average reading form both sides of clyinders. There is going to be a 2 to 300 hundred degree drop across the turbo, however I do see ambient temparature being a real problem If it is 105 degrees outside the drop in temp. will not be nearly as great than when it is 0 to 30 degrees outside. Only a real wiz could give us the lowdown. What are the racers doing?Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
511 Posts
I really dont think the ambient temperature would have any real effect on the reading at operating temperatures.

~~ I could'nt help it, I took mine to level 5 once on the second day

Im not going to run that level very often at all. Im actually pretty happy with level 2 for regular driving. AND I defuel on every gear.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2MuchFun

did ya have any problems going up to five that quick. Limp Mode or any codes.

Anybody got any pics of their exhaust probe install

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The possibility of a broken probe is really a non-issue. You want to know how hot that thing is coming into the turbo. Besides that, Edge recomends pre-turbo location of the probe.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The pre-turbo install scared me too, but it really is the best location for monitoring the engine's heat.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey guys,Guess I should have looked before I posted, I found a thread in the do it yourself section by Hoot answering my questions on the probe install.

Good info Hoot thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
any imput on the break-in or cautions after install of the edge and attitude is still needed, thanks guys

·
Registered
511 Posts
No, I have used every level and had zero problems. (knock on wood)

Level 5 was VERY VERY impressive, but I dont want to treat the truck like that very often.

Im now pretty much content and settled on level 2

....Unless a PSD gives me the eye at a stop light

·
Registered
511 Posts
BTW, I installed the EGT probe today.

It was nerve racking for sure, but overall ended up being very simple. ~One of those things you worry to death and mind F$#% yourself over and it ends up being a non-event.

If interested in the details:

I had never tapped anything. I followed the directions and they were right on.

I used a high speed drill and carbon bits.

I drilled a pilot hole using a bit about 1/3rd or so the size of the intended hole (I didnt even pay attention to the size)

I used plenty of cutting fluid.

I taped the bits about 3/4" from the tip to prevent raming the bit into deep upon break through.

I ran the engine at idle (WEARING SAFETY GLASSES!!!!)

Tapped the pilot, followed with the 5/16th or whatever it said.

As I drilled the final hole, shavings were blowing out straight at me so Im pretty sure that very few went through the turbo.

HINT HINT: Use a good quality NPT tap!

I started with a cheapy set that I got and ended up using a neighbors Craftsman bit. I ruined the cheapie about half way through and then when I used the much beefier bit I realized how bad the cheapie was. If I had started with the good bit, it would have taken me 1/4th the time.

Worked the bit in and back out etc. using lotsa cutting fluid and cleaning the bit often with brake clean. I checked the fit Often but ended up using nearly off the bit before I was able to thread in the bung smoothly.

So, for anyone else who has never done this, dont sweat.

Drill straight and take your time.

Then

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have my SPA DG111 probe in the passenger side and mounted my Attitude probe on the drivers' side, both pre-turbo. The SPA probe is slower acting, but the 2 pretty much agree for the most part.

The driver's side was easier to do than I thought. Drilled straight up from the bottom and the shavings fell downward and out. Wear safety glasses!

·
Banned
394 Posts
the directions show you how....real simple......dont worry about the paranoid people on here if ya wanna turn your juice up go ahead....wont hurt anything......not saying to beat the brakes off of it but just test the water

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
all installed and working great. thanks for all the info

·
Registered
29 Posts
I installed pre-turbo. I wasn't able to use the handle for the tap because I drilled at an angle (from above). Not enough clearance for a full turn. Rookie mistake. Plan B...break out the vise grips. Piece of cake.

The only real problem was some damn dog pissed on my tire the night before, so I was huffing a lovely odor for the duration of the install

1 - 15 of 15 Posts