Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k. :help:
recent reprogramming is forceing me to go with a new trans:ro)

now I have been talking with a couple of installers about tranny upgrades
and the more I read and talk with dealers(tranny) the more I get lost :eek:

co-pilot vs transgo:confused:
5 star vs 1057-3d:confused:

the ats guys tell me that they replace c1-4 make pump changes(cut-off valve"suncoasst?") and install co-pilot(vs the transgo):confused:

I have read alot about the suncoast but very little about the ATS which makes me think maybe ATS isn't as good.... :mad:

4k plus is alot to spend and not be happy, so all input is welcome:exactly:

:) :knight: thanx:)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Unless you are doing a lot of drag racing, copilot is not really needed. I really like my 5-star converter, but I don't have any experience with the Mcrat converter.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'd pick one of the two that you are considering (Suncoast, personally) and decide where you're getting the work done. THEN, I'd call/stop by and talk with them personally by telling them exactly what you like and don't like as far as drivability as well as performance plans and uses of the truck. THEN, I'd take their "expert" recommendations, assuming I wasn't an expert myself (which I, personally, am definitly not).
I've heard good things about Suncoast HQ down here in Fort Walton Beach...heck, call them, they manufacture the things, and get their recommendation (shoudl you decide on a Suncoast flavor).

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
O.k. :help:

Alright, you buy the trannies and I'll test them for ya and report back. I can be there in 2 and 1/2 hours.

:joke:

later
good luck

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well if i were to go with the ats i like the fact that the co-polit is adjustable and increases holding pressure
lazy shifts are one of my promblems now:mad:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
co-pilot vs transgo:confused:
5 star vs 1057-3d:confused:

the ats guys tell me that they replace c1-4 make pump changes(cut-off valve"suncoasst?") and install co-pilot(vs the transgo):confused:

I have read alot about the suncoast but very little about the ATS which makes me think maybe ATS isn't as good.... :mad:
There is no comparison between the co-pilot and the transgo, they do two completely different things. And the 5 Star vs 1057-3d have not been compared as of just yet, so it's hard to make an honest comparison.

We not only replace the c1-c4 clutches but we also convert some of them to a single sided clutch disk to enable us to put more clutches per clutch pack and acheive a greater friction surface throughout the tranny and distribute the load over more clutches to help them hold more power and last longer.

We modify the pump spring and valve to produce higher pressures from the pump to enable us to acheive much greater clamping force to the clutches when combined with a co-pilot. The co-pilot will adjust pressures based on the level that you choose and applying that pressure proportionatly to your boost levels so you don't run excessive pressure all the time.

If you would like to know more about our products feel free to give me a call anytime, I'm more than willing to help out in anyway I can :) .

Cheers,
Wade

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
With the co-pilot you have total control over shift firmness. With the transgo, you have no options.

With my co-pilot I can drive around with my tranny shifting completely stock, then by pushing a few buttons, I can have tire chirping shifts. The only disadvantage is the price.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
I have a Suncoast III with an ATS Co-Pilot........

I would opt for the SC-IV kit of a drop in SC V.......then if you want to dragrace add in the Co-Pilot........or maybe some Custom EFI-Live transmission tuning.........:cool:

T:D NY

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
See, like I said, IBDMAXIN chimed right in. I stick with my advice. Talk to an expert on each and see what they recommend. Enjoy whatever you go with!

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
I tested the CoPilot by itself without the Transgo.

You will need the Transgo regardless of whether you run a CoPilot.

The CoPilot is a good product, and will improve your ET's, but it does not replace mechanical parts, it just helps them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mc rat
so do you think that getting a trango shift kit is a must, and the copilot is an option?
:(

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Absolutley...transgo is very neccassary! The Copilot is an option that on LB7's has been proven to gain .2-.3 sec in the 1/4. On LLY's, it unfortunatly doesn't have quite that effect!:mad:

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
If you go with the full ATS innards and co pilot it will work. You dont need a transgo kit in an ATS trans.

The suncoast just bases part of thier kit off the Transgo kit.

The co pilot will realy make you feel like your going like hell but in reality unless your looking for every tenth of a second in the 1/4 mile it realy isnt needed. If your planning on spraying N2O it can help though....not in holding power becasue I ran a **** ton of n2o on a stage 5 suncoast but it will help with the training of the trans. You add 200HP to a trans that aint used to it and it will take it some time to figure out WTF is going on.

There isnt 1 converter thats perfect for everybody. I would have who evers trans you are installing pick out your converter based on what you tell em on your power and driving habits and such.

I would be more apt to get a suncoast trans though. Drop in unit or a unit built local or by you depends.....or there is the option of driving to sunny FL and having Joe do it for you. Decide on your trans and then talk to either ATS or Joe at Suncoast and see what they recomend(drop in unit or a local dealer to do the upgrade for you)

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Your saying a full out drop in ATS trans dont work on the LLY's? I'm not much into them so I didnt know that?

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Mc rat
so do you think that getting a trango shift kit is a must, and the copilot is an option?
:(
I ran a 425HP tune with a brand new Allison trans and just a CoPilot. 5 1/4mi passes later it limped.

Would it have supported a 375HP? Dunno. Suppose I should "crept up" on the power to see.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Suppose I should "crept up" on the power to see.
What fun would that be? Besideds.....we know your not a ***** in regards to beating the snot outa your truck in the name of testing :D

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
go see joe.... get one inhouse..... you wont be disapointed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
there is that time factor
going to cali or FL just isn't in the cards for me
I think I am going to crank it diesel (a supporting vender)
for a ats trans
or
going to tn for a suncoast 4
I am still on the fence
but all the post are welcome:grd:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
there is that time factor
going to cali or FL just isn't in the cards for me
I think I am going to crank it diesel (a supporting vender)
for a ats trans
or
going to tn for a suncoast 4
I am still on the fence
but all the post are welcome:grd:
Don't think that your gonna get much better of a deal then Crank it Up is offering, for the product, service and price including installation he's kicking some serious a$$.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The Co-Pilot on the LLY doesn't really feel different unless it's all the way up. Of course this is where most people use it so I guess it is OK. Keep in mind you can not run the Co-pilot all the time as the TCM starts to relearn and can start to get a little goofy.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts