Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I'm shooting for 500 RWHP with my LLY and EFI Live and will be upgrading the Tranny before hand to handle my future power desires. I might take it to the strip once or twice and haul my toy hauler at 10k lbs. The power is mainly for fun.

I live about 45 minutes from ATS so I figured that I can have them install my upgrades.

After talking to Eric at ATS last night, he recommended the following:

1. Complete ATS Rebuild with new clutches and re-worked hydraulics etc.
2. Deep Tranny Pan
3. ATS 5 Star Torque Converter
4. ATS Co-Pilot

All of this installed will be pretty steep at around $7k. For my power level plans, which parts are most important and which ones could I leave out and why?

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
im going there jan 2 for almost the same stuff. i was going to have it installed at local shop but i kinda backed out.im going on vacation in co and decided to just drop the truck off at ats.id like to hear some feedback on this also. ive heard a lot of good things about suncoast and i think they may be a lil cheaper.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I should add:

My truck only has 25k miles on it and the transmission has never been limped. Maybe the rebuild isn't necessary?

·
Registered
695 Posts
WOW! Sounds a little high to me. I would see if there are any Suncoast dealers/installers in your area. May want to do a price comparison.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The co-pilot itself costs $1179. Deep Tranny Pan costs $352. The 5 star torque converter costs $1457. The rebuild with hi-performance clutches and custom re-worked hydraulics is $3100 installed.

Add in tax and install of the co-pilot and your at $7k, 3 year 150k warranty. That's why I want to know what is, and what isn't important and why.

·
Registered
583 Posts
For what you are wanting to do a SC IV would be just fine. I have mine for just playing around. Barely tow anything. I have a SCIV, 1057 converter, and deep pan. No co-pilot though, all that installed for around 5k. But if you are just wanting 500hp at the wheels the SCIV will hold it and then some.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is included in a Suncoast IV? Deeper pan? Something like a Co-Pilot? How would it compare to the ATS rebuild with 5 star converter?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
What is included in a Suncoast IV? Deeper pan? Something like a Co-Pilot? How would it compare to the ATS rebuild with 5 star converter?
Suncoast does not offer a copilot, or anything similar. They are also a long way from home if you have something go wrong.

But as far as our products and what we do to the tranny's, we manufacture everything here in house, we bond our own frictions and lazer cut our own steels. Everything that goes into our tranny's we have total control over, so when we develope neat little products like our twin CP3's that push the power envelope to the next level and require stronger transmission's, we can make the changes right then and there. No one else out there can offer this kind of technology advancement.

And with what your looking to do with your truck, I would recommend doing it right the first time and go with the stage 2 package. Thats going to give you everything that your looking for, and if you every ran into issue's, just bring the truck by the shop and we'll get you fixed up.

You might wanna call Jason in the service dept here at ATS, I'm sure he'll be willing to work with you on the cost since your local and a DP member.

Cheers,
Wade

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The co-pilot is the only thing they offer thats truly unique. Most builds are based off a suncoast/transgo package, and you can do the whole build with converter and alli deep pan for roughly $3.5k. If you want to tack the copilot on to that, say $4.5k. I dont honestly see where the other $2.5k comes from in that swollen ass price tag.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The co-pilot is the only thing they offer thats truly unique. Most builds are based off a suncoast/transgo package, and you can do the whole build with converter and alli deep pan for roughly $3.5k. If you want to tack the copilot on to that, say $4.5k. I dont honestly see where the other $2.5k comes from in that swollen ass price tag.
What kind of warranty do you get with those builds might I ask?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Suncoast does not offer a copilot, or anything similar. They are also a long way from home if you have something go wrong.

But as far as our products and what we do to the tranny's, we manufacture everything here in house, we bond our own frictions and lazer cut our own steels. Everything that goes into our tranny's we have total control over, so when we develope neat little products like our twin CP3's that push the power envelope to the next level and require stronger transmission's, we can make the changes right then and there. No one else out there can offer this kind of technology advancement.

And with what your looking to do with your truck, I would recommend doing it right the first time and go with the stage 2 package. Thats going to give you everything that your looking for, and if you every ran into issue's, just bring the truck by the shop and we'll get you fixed up.

You might wanna call Jason in the service dept here at ATS, I'm sure he'll be willing to work with you on the cost since your local and a DP member.

Cheers,
Wade
Thanks for the info Wade. I'm mean no offense, just trying to determine if $7k is necessary. I have no doubt my tranny would be bulletproof with a Stage 2 system. ATS stuff seems to be unique and difficult to compare with other stuff out there. Hoping to hear some users pipe in too...

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Thanks for the info Wade. I'm mean no offense, just trying to determine if $7k is necessary. I have no doubt my tranny would be bulletproof with a Stage 2 system. ATS stuff seems to be unique and difficult to compare with other stuff out there. Hoping to hear some users pipe in too...
Absolutely no offense taken, I would rather you asked questions, it's the guys that don't ask about what they are getting that scare me.

·
Banned
3,234 Posts
Absolutely no offense taken, I would rather you asked questions, it's the guys that don't ask about what they are getting that scare me.
So what's your selling point over the Suncoast stuff then?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I think they are asking what is the extra 2.5K getting you? If you can do a SCIV with converter and add the ats copilot for around 4.5K, then what is the selling point to go with all ats? Is the ats solution 2.5k better? If so, how?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
in my own experience's most of the time just the warranty alone is the selling point. when you compare just say a BD trans to an ATS the price for the BD could be $200-$300 cheaper, of course your first instinct is to go for the less expensive compareable unit. until you look at the 3yr 150,000mi warranty and the added features and components that go into each it kinda opens your eyes.

personally i really don't have any experience w/ suncoast parts so i can't compare there.

·
Registered
907 Posts
My warranty was 12 months on labor and trans shop provided parts and 2 yrs unlimited mileage on the Suncoast parts. I am confident that I will be fine due to the fact that I have heard guys running 750 rwhp through the IV with no problems. I paid 5K with tax OTD. Suncoast parts are not hard to find if the shop you had installed it keeps multiple kits on site. Thurston County Transmission did a great job and has wonderful Costumer Service. Just my .02

·
Banned
3,234 Posts
What Suncoast stuff are you referring to?
They sell built trannies, you sell built trannies. They sell all the individual parts, you sell individual parts. They sell converters, you sell converters.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
What kind of warranty do you get with those builds might I ask?
Ron at Suncoast is an awesome guy and they stand behing EVERYTHING. If it breaks, you call them and they make it right. So is that where you are saying the extra $2k comes from is a warranty?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts