Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of adding just the converter to a stock tranny? Also, how long does it take to swap? Anything special I have to do to install? Any info is much appreciated.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I think you would be wasting your money and a bunch of time. Might as well mod the trans while its dropped.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If its out to install, I agree, do the whole thing.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maye a little more info. I'm not pulling, I'm just looking for more power. So what tranny kit do you think I should do? Converter deffinetly, but just clutches or what? I also think I have given up on ATS. My local speed shop says NO! They have 2 ATS trannys on the floor that are junk.

·
Registered
692 Posts
How old is your truck? Need to do a Transgo with it at least.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Codeman911;1565224; said:
Maye a little more info. I'm not pulling, I'm just looking for more power. So what tranny kit do you think I should do? Converter deffinetly, but just clutches or what? I also think I have given up on ATS. My local speed shop says NO! They have 2 ATS trannys on the floor that are junk.

You re looking for a "little" more power now and eventually you will be looking for a little more and then more. Its an addiction, you will become use to the power and want more to get that pushed back in your seat feeling. If you are going to open it up it would be well worth the extra money to do it right now and not have to worry later. After calling around and reading many many threads on allison upgrades i have found that the going rate for opening and working on one is about 1000-1500. spending the extra 700 for a shift kit and some clutches will save you that install cost later. With new programmers being released every few months that have greater hp and tq its best just to do it right. You have a bullydog triple dog now and having a new TC will help to hold it. But you may have already burned the clutches and if you upgrade to say a PPE or get a stack and then maybe EFI you will need to upgrade again.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Also from what i hear having a built trans makes it that much better. It reminds me of the movie half baked. "Have you ever seen a $20 bill before? Have you ever seen a $20 bill on weed man?" So its like; have you ever felt a big tune? Have you ever felt a big tune with a built tranny that can get it all to the ground? another thign is you won't really have to worry about limping it or counting your shifts so as not to let it shift to overdrive. unless you are going to run some big power like 600 rwhp.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Codeman911;1565224; said:
Might I ask who this local shop is??

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
ATS had some issues with clutches in the past......they have supposedly made some changes to things. Weather these changes are good better or worse is open to debate but the clutches you get now arnt the same or built the same as they were some time ago. I have never ran an ATS clutch so i dont have personal experience. Also many of the complaints I heard were of thier clutches. I havent heard of alot of complaints for thier converters kersploading. They are purple though....I'm sure that costs some HP there ):h

Suncoast does have some good clutches though IMO.

Stock clutches with mods will hold a deccent amount of abuse though.

Depends how far you want to go but its better to over build than underbuild.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
ATS Transmissions are not junk.

I sledpull with mine at high HP and it works fantastic.

Remember, ATS used to sell user-installable kits. If the installer didn't do the job right, it would be wrong to assign blame to ATS.

Is the local shop an ATS-certified installer?

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
nwpadmax;1567444; said:
Is the local shop an ATS-certified installer?
If they were they wouldnt be after Wade finds out who is telling potential customers the product is junk ):h

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Here is my unbiased opinion. From what I have seen both the ATS and the Suncoast work great. The Co Pilot is really cool. If I had a built auto I would most definatly have one.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First off, I'm not going to tattle on my local shop. They have built some amazing trucks! So I take their word pretty seriously. I'm not ruining my relationship with them! Second, seeing is believing in my book. I have seen a couple ATS' go bad in such a short time that they didn't even have road grime on them. EVERYBODY and I mean EVERYBODY! has told me Suncoast. They're cheaper units, but they hold up better. I've even read it on this forum. Like I said IBDMAX, for me seeing is believing. ATS is going to have to do something extreme to prove to me they're worth it. Not trying to be a #[email protected]%, but that's just me. Pretty sure I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Sounds like you have made your decision.

If it was me I would have your shop go through the whole transmission and do it right the first time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Codeman911;1567710; said:
First off, I'm not going to tattle on my local shop. They have built some amazing trucks! So I take their word pretty seriously. I'm not ruining my relationship with them! Second, seeing is believing in my book. I have seen a couple ATS' go bad in such a short time that they didn't even have road grime on them. EVERYBODY and I mean EVERYBODY! has told me Suncoast. They're cheaper units, but they hold up better. I've even read it on this forum. Like I said IBDMAX, for me seeing is believing. ATS is going to have to do something extreme to prove to me they're worth it. Not trying to be a #[email protected]%, but that's just me. Pretty sure I'm not the only one.
Some amazing trucks? Like which ones that made what HP?

Seeing just two unknown examples and believing is not enough. What went wrong with them? You need to dig deeper rather than forming an opinion with a few anectodal examples.

If you read, the truck that just went 1000 hp (+/-) was running what?

ATS.

Here's a quiz for you. Count up the top pullers on this page, and come back with who is running what.

I won't say one bad thing about SC. But ATS is not junk, my friend.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
My old, out of date, run down ATS tranny kit is still going strong after many years of abuse. Still running there triple pak with pump mods, original co-pilot, and there triple disk. Not 1 problem to date related to any of ATS's upgrades.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
nwpadmax;1568579; said:
Some amazing trucks? Like which ones that made what HP?

Seeing just two unknown examples and believing is not enough. What went wrong with them? You need to dig deeper rather than forming an opinion with a few anectodal examples.

If you read, the truck that just went 1000 hp (+/-) was running what?

ATS.

Here's a quiz for you. Count up the top pullers on this page, and come back with who is running what.

I won't say one bad thing about SC. But ATS is not junk, my friend.

Yeh but the fastest duramaxes in the country run SC):h ):h ):h

1 - 20 of 65 Posts