Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should be installing it in about a week. Hoping to hold off clutches and convertor until next spring
. Only reason I'm not doing a transgo is I'm doing the first part of a complete rebuild, will be going with triple disk convertor, clutches, etc., and want the adjustability of the CoPilot. Will it help? We shall see..

Mike

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
CoPilot is in. Definately firmer shifts, gonna wait for a while till things settle until I form an opinion. Right now the trans flares and then hits hard on shifts when under full throttle, rather disquieting. Going to have to play with settings. Also I'm sure my clutches and convertor are, well..
. I'm not going to run anything hotter than 110 program until full replacement is made.

As far as the install.. well, was fairly straightforward, but not without problems. The additional aluminum block and solenoid that is used was missing a roll pin. Once installed and under pressure the solenoid popped out and it was undriveable. A search of this forum located 04forme's post which pointed to the solenoid, thats how I discovered mine had the same issue. ATS indicated they had about 5 go out that were missing the pins from the manuf. I put a 1/8" roll pin in and now it works as it should.

Before the ATS flaming starts, few things to keep in mind. ATS has been always very helpful whenever I called with a question. The tech advised me about the problem when I called for a new solenoid, and stated that I could replace the pin myself if I wished. I asked if I could have a new one shipped overnight and they said that would be no problem. ATS is also one of the few (only?) full allison hop-ups you can get in kit form to install yourself. That runs the inherent risk of having things go wrong since they don't control the install. Shops that only do mods in-house have the luxury of testing the work and making sure it hits the door perfect, so It goes to say that kits will have more problems. I'm not defending the fact solenoids were delivered with defects, I'm just stating if it was overlooked and installed in-house, it would have been caught and corrected prior to the customer getting it.

I guess you could say this is an argument against do-it-yourself trans work, and that may be so. But the fact for me remains that I won't let anyone touch my ride unless absolutely necessary, so I'll do it myself if I can. For those who don't feel that comfortable with a wrench and have the funds, I say find a reputable trans shop and have them do the mods.

Here are some pics of my install, sticking it on the knee bolster wouldn't do, so I hogged out the cubby in the dash to make the CoPilot fit, and tried to get that semi-factory look. Also included is a pic of the solenoid in question, you can see the 1/8" hole which was missing the roll pin.

&nb

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Did you change the spring on the Trim A Solenoid?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Glad to see you got it fixed in quick order.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Did you change the spring on the Trim A Solenoid?"

Yes, changed it out as directed. Reverse engagements are firm, I understand this is due to this spring? Drove about 50mi this evening on the quad 110. Shifts getting better, tow/haul the shifts are perfect. Still getting flare under accel. Floored it on the Fwy when in OD, just pulled hard, this is where I zinged it twice before, but with higher tune. I'm satisfied for now..
Edited by: VFRRider

·
Registered
81 Posts
VFRRIDER

Glad to see you back on the road,Please stay in touch about the performance issues as mine is still a little glitchy,as far as your comments about ATS,I will definately agree, Clint has a great Business and I look foward in doing more business in the future with them,I just hate to bother them with my problems if someone else might have had the same and wouldnt mind the free info.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
04forme said:
VFRRIDER

Glad to see you back on the road,Please stay in touch about the performance issues as mine is still a little glitchy,as far as your comments about ATS,I will definately agree, Clint has a great Business and I look foward in doing more business in the future with them,I just hate to bother them with my problems if someone else might have had the same and wouldnt mind the free info.

Let me get this straight. Are you saying that you spent big money with someone and the product is not right, but you don't want to bother them? Did i miss something here?

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Can the entire Copilot be installed by dropping the pan only? I had called a few months back and a employee there told me I would have to slide the tranny back a little and reach up in to install something?

·
Registered
704 Posts
You can do the whole co-pilot by just dropping the pan.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have spoke with them a couple times on this issue and we have gone over what some of the problems could be,I think if it is not resolved.I am sure they would refund me.I just like to ask questions to a forum like this to see if anyone may have had the same problems,It could help me and possibly others.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
04forme

I was not making fun of you, just the opossite. I care about sevice to a customer that has spent money with me. He come first before new customers. You have shown your loyalty, now it's time for them.

mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree,And I dont think you were making fun of me,no big deal. By the way you have a transmission shop right? I do to,But this is the first few Allisons I have worked on,my Question is What kind of Scan tool do you use? I have the OTC Gynisys System, and I cant really say I am happy with it.I would like to be able to reset Adapts on Allisons, Is the Tech2 the only one? Thanks,

Kenny

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Bronco said:
Can the entire Copilot be installed by dropping the pan only? I had called a few months back and a employee there told me I would have to slide the tranny back a little and reach up in to install something?

Sliding it back would probably be to change the main pump spring and the line modifyer valve which is the next step after a Co-Pilot.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
VFRRider,

Did you reset the tap cells or do a fast learn? If not, it could take quite a while for the thing to settle down.

It would be nice if all companies could manufacture product with a 0% defect rate. Unfortunately that is not the case. The difference is...in how the company deals with you when you have a problem with their product.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have access to a tech II, how do you do a fast learn? I've heard drop it into L while on fwy, disconnect batteries,
. None of that sounds right. I'm a bit late on the trans upgrade, kind of hoping it holds together a while longer.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
The new updated Quad tuners are capable of putting the tranny in fast learn mode. I think you will still have to have the tech 2 to reset the tap cells.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
White Duramax said:
The new updated Quad tuners are capable of putting the tranny in fast learn mode. I think you will still have to have the tech 2 to reset the tap cells.

Are you sure about that ?? I think it's reverse ...I'm almost positive a Tech II will be needed to Put into "Fast Learn" ....ReSetting Tap Cells removes all current shift adaptives ....

Mac Edited by: Mackin

1 - 20 of 54 Posts