Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OneTallGMC96 has an ATS 5 star converter in his 05 LLY Alienator trans. He has an EXSB 4X4 lifted 4" w/ 33" AT's and a Western plow pkg. EST weight 7300#

I have an ATS 3 lock (not sure what stall) in my 05 LLY Alienator trans. I have EXSB 4x4 w/ 33" AT's. Actual weight at time of race 6900#

We are running the same lift pumps and the same tune. He can pull me off the line by a full truck length. Boosted launches net him about 3/4 truck length ahead. He has a heavier truck. I think it is his converter that is doing the good work. What do you guys think? I can catch him on the big end, but he gets me off the line every time.

Can my converter be upgraded to the 5 star? I love that converter!

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
I don't think there is that much advantage between converters at high boosted launches. In less than 100 feet you are in lock up and it don't matter anymore. I have tried different converters as has McRat and Trippin. No noticable difference there ( ET wise ). On the street it is a whole different story. Some converters are so much more drivable and fun compared to others.
mike

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
I don't think there is that much advantage between converters at high boosted launches. In less than 100 feet you are in lock up and it don't matter anymore. I have tried different converters as has McRat and Trippin. No noticable difference there ( ET wise ). On the street it is a whole different story. Some converters are so much more drivable and fun compared to others.
mike
I would consider my TC to be loose and lacking low end compared to converters today.

After the 1-2 shift and as Mike L. said it's all motor and tuning after that.

At 7200 lbs I can get into the 12.80's running 33's on H2 wheels.

It's the launch technique, the shifts, the HP/TQ.

T:D NY

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Here is my view on converters.
I have driven them all in all kinds of Duramaxes with different power levels. Suncoast # 50 converter will make everyone happy no matter what you do; it will perform. ATS triple will do the same ( I have had these in my truck ) TTS did something different and was the best coupling converter out ther for a while. The Suncoast #56 kicks their #50 up a notch with quicker coupling and is a great all around converter and will be their standard. The McRat :D is close to my heart and absolutely kicks a$$ on the street for a fun factor. It also will do anything asked of it and I believe will lower trans tenps. The new ATS 5 Star will be reported on as soon as I install it in Trippins truck.
I will do honest testing and do NOT owe anything to anyone. What do I run?):h There will be some new converter tech coming soon, This is fun and good for all of us. Should you waite for the new stuff? Absolutely not. Be carefull of the johnny come latelys that are just now advertising diesel converters. They are starting where we were 3 years ago with tech.:exactly:
mike

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so now its the converters falt?
Not at all Jeremy. You whooped me fair and square. You don't expect me to crawl under a rock and cry about it do ya? Nope. I gunning for ya. I'll be a little closer next time, you can count on that!:ro) Thanks for driving over. It was nice seeing ya again. Maybe you can get that one wheel squeal fixed up and enter the burnout contest next time!

Anyone know if my triple lock can be upgraded to a five star?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
There you go talking about my truck again...

Get that fuel issue figured out so we can really line up!!!

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
If he jumps you immediatly I cant see it mattering if you even have a LU clutch in your converter.....but supposedly somehow the ATS converters 5 clutches do something for fluid coupling?

A tighter converter may or may not help you, but I still cant see how number of clutches would make a difference? I would assume ATS or anyone could build you a converter with the same proerties as one with 5 discs but I duno?

Also trucks and tuning play a part.....I know that when running against someone with the good old quad juice stack(didnt matter who, jeremy, mark, or tomac) they would leave me off the line with a no boosted launch and generaly with a low boosted launch.....

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Anyone know if my triple lock can be upgraded to a five star?
Yes you can, PM me and I'll give you the price for the upgrade. It's actually a whole new converter, you can't "Upgrade" a Triple Lok.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Wade,

If you can find out what Clint was planning for mine, let me know. He mentioned it then got sidetracked apparently

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Wade,

If you can find out what Clint was planning for mine, let me know. He mentioned it then got sidetracked apparently
I'm on it, I'll let you know this afternoon what's going on.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes it is the converter... the five star produces an improvement in unlocked performance of the converter as well as proven holding abaility of the TripleLok. Makes sense that the Fivestar pulled away on the takeoff. We have seen significant torque increase on the dyno while testing unlocked. Hopefully the critics will have goodluck with their trucks with the Fivestar. The Fivestar is out in numbers on the street and so far feedback is great.
:D

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
So the extra disk do affect unlocked function?

Could a converter me made to have simmilar caracteristics without using the clutches how ever they are used?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I'm on it, I'll let you know this afternoon what's going on.
Thanks! Just got off the phone with Clint. The latest Co-Pilot sounds intriguing too...

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Thanks! Just got off the phone with Clint. The latest Co-Pilot sounds intriguing too...
It's pretty sweet!!! I'm looking right at the new one sitting on my desk, I'll be installing it sometime this week. I rode in Clint's new LBZ with it in there and it's extremely cool :ro) .

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Good thinking on the tuning Ratlover, but we were running the exact same tune, exact same lift pumps...not complaining that I get a jump, but I'm trying to figure it out too.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
got any stickers? :D

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
There is also the freak factor.....some trucks just run better than others. When me and daryl ran I would always out 60' him and he would pass me about mid track........untill I ran him and hit the go juice at 1/8 :lol: After awhile you get tired of losing :lol:

Extra weight, tires etc......that why its hard to compare different trucks.....becasue I have seen em run different even running the same stuff :think:

·
Registered
847 Posts
You guys crack me up!I cant wait to get in on this!!:ro)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts