now thats good reading

·
Registered
156 Posts
What took so long? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Interesting. I wonder, however, what the impact would be on diesel fuel prices if a bunch of people switched to diesel. After this last hurricane season disrupted supply and refining capacity, I would be really concerned about the price of fuel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Interesting. I wonder, however, what the impact would be on diesel fuel prices if a bunch of people switched to diesel. After this last hurricane season disrupted supply and refining capacity, I would be really concerned about the price of fuel.
Remember back in the day diesel was $0.29 a gal? Then Cadilac and Chevrolet made the 350ci converted diesel engine. Next was Oldsmobile. Then the 6.2L came out. Not to be left out Ford intoduced a diesel engine and so on and so on until it has evolved to what we have today. The whole time the price of diesel has rose and rose until the price per gallon passed regular gas. Now what's up? Yep you guessed it. Truckers, Farmers, Constuction companys, the Railroads, industrial Ocean shipping, the Military and us trailer draggers pay the price. So my point would be, I supose if more people used diesel and less people used gas the price of diesel would lower.

Right?

I can't call this one.

Buy silver. Its bound to increase in value.:lol:

·
Registered
351 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that you can get more gallons of diesel out of a barrel of oil than you can gas? If that is true, then a reduction in gas usage would make more diesel available.

Also, I think if diesel caught on with the general public we would see a bigger push for bio. Personally, I think that if bio was produced on a larger scale, it could be priced competitively with petro diesel. That would have an even bigger impact on imports than just using less crude oil.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that you can get more gallons of diesel out of a barrel of oil than you can gas? If that is true, then a reduction in gas usage would make more diesel available.

Also, I think if diesel caught on with the general public we would see a bigger push for bio. Personally, I think that if bio was produced on a larger scale, it could be priced competitively with petro diesel. That would have an even bigger impact on imports than just using less crude oil.
Refiners can get just about any percentage of gas/diesel/kerosene/etc. they want from a barrel of crude. Just a matter of playing with the cracking process.

As far as the general public pushing bio, I wish that were true but I'm not so sure. The public hasn't pushed for ethanol use, so I don't know how much they would care about biodiesel. The public is only going to push for cheap fuel, wherever that may come from.

I entirely agree that there is an economy of scale issue with biodiesel. The more that is produced, the more competitive it will be with petrol diesel. I still can't believe it is cheaper to ship crude oil halfway around the world than it is to ship canola (or soybeans, algae, sunflower seeds, etc.) 100 miles to the nearest biodiesel plant. Just a matter of infrastructure, though, and petroleum has a big headstart.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm not a big fan of gov getting too far into things, but...

What we really need are some gov sponsored programs to get bio off the ground. Tax breaks on the production facilities or things like that. It's the only way I see anyone being able to break into the big scale production needed to get the pricing down.

Unfortunately, big oil has much better lobbiests (read more/better bribes) to ever allow this to happen. Politicians need to start putting the country first, not the under the table transfers to their wallets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts