Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the service manager said he had talked to some big wig in Detroit who thinks he knows whats going on with the overheating. they have had my truck all week and said they need to drive it while doing some tests. i don't understand what they think this will accomplish being as they are not pulling anything. are they testing for a program or if its chipped or something to blame it on? even with tech 2 in place what do you think they are looking for. i did take a mechanic for a ride last summer pulling a tractor with tech 2 and it verified it was overheating. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
I really doubt they have a fix. They would not be buying the trucks back if they had a fix.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
There will never be a fix from GM because for there to be a fix they would have to admit the problem and that would mean recalling ALL Dmax engines in both light duty and medium duties with the LLY produced 04.5 and 05 up to the 06 LLY start date. No way is that going to happen, it costs too much.

We have already heard from insiders high in GM that this one is going to be swept under the rug, so everyone don't waste your time hoping they are going to make it right for you.

PROVE ME WRONG GM

The truth often hurts but sometimes its best......

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Because they have to at least go through the motions, they can't refuse a legitimate customer complaint. Also, it seems some district service types have been taking shots at cures with the Ron Davis rads and such. Would be nice if they would pay for what I have coming....that would be fair.....

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
is this overheating concern that bad i personaly have not seen it
but i wouldnt like it to happen to me either what the people that
[email protected]$#%h enough they are gitting there trucks bought back?
this is alot of money to spend on a truck to know its not fixable
per gm.i have 33000 miles on mine now should i start the problem
for gm to fix or and buy back? what is the longest someone has
milage on a lly is this a motor to keep or should it be better to bail
on it and try something differant?
dont get me wrong i love my truck i just dont want to have that much money invested and have it break down major when its out of warranty

·
Registered
212 Posts
In order to qualify for your states Lemon Law protection there are mileage/months of service guidelines that must be met. In Indiana it is 18 months or 18,000 miles ... so basically you have to report the problem within this amount of time/mileage.

At 33,000 miles my guess is if you experienced overheating and GM was unable to fix it you would have to get a lawyer and sue for breach of warranty.

·
Registered
93 Posts
In order to qualify for your states Lemon Law protection there are mileage/months of service guidelines that must be met. In Indiana it is 18 months or 18,000 miles ... so basically you have to report the problem within this amount of time/mileage.

At 33,000 miles my guess is if you experienced overheating and GM was unable to fix it you would have to get a lawyer and sue for breach of warranty.
I have 34,000 miles and and just bought the truck from a private party ( He got me :mad: ), so I am sure that I have no legal recourse. If GM is listening - this is exactly why you are are in the financial trouble you are in. If a fix does not come available, I will be putting the truck up for sale - any takers?

I will either go to a 2500HD 8.1 or a Ford PSD.

I will wait a little longer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I wouldnt jump ship just yet .... there are a few guys on this site that are pretty sharp and if they say they will have a fix Id give them some time to produce.

Im not sure of overall cost of a "real" fix but it would almost have to be cheaper than trading trucks.

I know this doesnt give much satisfaction when it comes to GM but it will save you money in the end.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a over heating problem too, but after I did some mods it went away.

I installed the EDGE chip with Attitude and then the truck would not accelerate and had white smoke coming from the tail pipe.

I checked into the problem and was told that I should have the computer reflashed - so I did.

I pulled the chip out and went to the dealership, told them about the smoke from my tail pipe and they said that there was a reflash for this issue.

I can now pull the same weight and I have no overheating problems.

Some of my other modifications are:
  • Exhaust/deleat cat
  • AFE stageII intake
The truck has 33,000 miles now and it runs perfect:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 05 cc/4x4 Dmax with all the add-on stuff to help the cooling, still a problem. Pulling a 28k Desert Fox in 65 degree heat up 6%, the tranny spikes to 260 and engine 250. I had it in to the dealer twice in the past month, no change. Funny thing is, I have the same truck in an 8.1 that I could not sell due to the high fuel prices. Now I'm glad I still have it, power is about the same pulling the hills, especially when the fan is screaming on the DMAX! No problems with heating what-so-ever! Last camping trip I averaged 5.8 MPG with the DMAX! 6.2 with my 8.1 with the same load. GOOD GREIF!:cool:

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I have a 05 cc/4x4 Dmax with all the add-on stuff to help the cooling, still a problem. Pulling a 28k Desert Fox in 65 degree heat up 6%, the tranny spikes to 260 and engine 250. I had it in to the dealer twice in the past month, no change. Funny thing is, I have the same truck in an 8.1 that I could not sell due to the high fuel prices. Now I'm glad I still have it, power is about the same pulling the hills, especially when the fan is screaming on the DMAX! No problems with heating what-so-ever! Last camping trip I averaged 5.8 MPG with the DMAX! 6.2 with my 8.1 with the same load. GOOD GREIF!:cool:
You just stand by........help is coming soon......

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I had a over heating problem too, but after I did some mods it went away.

I installed the EDGE chip with Attitude and then the truck would not accelerate and had white smoke coming from the tail pipe.

I checked into the problem and was told that I should have the computer reflashed - so I did.

I pulled the chip out and went to the dealership, told them about the smoke from my tail pipe and they said that there was a reflash for this issue.

I can now pull the same weight and I have no overheating problems.

Some of my other modifications are:
  • Exhaust/deleat cat
  • AFE stageII intake
The truck has 33,000 miles now and it runs perfect:)
I hope you are as confident when summer rolls back around for real.

That reflash that "cured" you.....it cured something alright, it cured your temp gauge from telling you the truth and moved your alarms into orbit to keep the asleep.......

I know you don't want to hear it, but if you overheated before, and did the things you are saying you did, then you haven't helped yourself at all. You'll find out this summer....

·
Registered
5,130 Posts

In Texas you have 24 months or 24,000 miles. After that you no longer have the law on your side and it gets very expensive to sue. :(

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am sure you guys know the outcome of the test. was told the service manager drove it today and could not get it to act up. they drove it around empty with a temperature of 40. i have been so upset and mad about this whole overheating thing that now all i can do is sit back and laugh. i haven't thrown in the towel yet. i have great faith that the guys on here will get it fixed. i only hope it's before summer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hope you are as confident when summer rolls back around for real.

That reflash that "cured" you.....it cured something alright, it cured your temp gauge from telling you the truth and moved your alarms into orbit to keep the asleep.......

I know you don't want to hear it, but if you overheated before, and did the things you are saying you did, then you haven't helped yourself at all. You'll find out this summer....

Dude - I don't know what's driving the negative thoughts, but I did tow after the reflash.

The overheating problems I had were in the summer of 2004. I did the modifications and reflash over the winter of 2004.

I towed 23,000 lbs over the 2005 summer - over Wolfcreek Pass in Coloraod - 4 times - no problem.

Then towed through CA Mohave desert this summer - 106+ temps - still no problems.

I'm not worried.:cool2:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts