Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is just wonderful....37800 miles and now the HydroBoost is leaking. If the dealer wont cover it under warranty is this something I can replace myself? I saw it on gmpartsdirect.com for $312 shipped. Any better prices elsewhere?

Thanks for the help.Edited by: dschultz

·
Registered
626 Posts
I had mine replaced at the dealer with 8K on the origional unit. I watched the tech to the install the unit and it was just a bolt in place deal. The only trick to the deal is when you refill the ps fluid you are supposed to make the the motor where it will not start and turn over the motor to pump in the new fluid slowly so it does not put a lot of small air bubbles in the fluid. The tech screwed mine up and the engine started and it airated the oil but you just have to let it set a while then add ps fluid to replace the air. I would not be afraid to replace the unit my self but it is difficult reaching the nuts up under the dash.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,

Did the tech have to remove the master cylinder completely or just move it a bit?

Dave

·
Registered
626 Posts
The entire unit is one piece that bolts to the fire wall and if I remember correctly you unbolt the front part where the brake resavoir is and you do not even have to breed the breaks. This was a very common problem at first I guess because my dealer had the units in stock. I now have 34K on my replacement unit with no problems, knock on wood.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
This unit has been used for quite some time. Most diesels use them because of the lack of vacuum on turbocharged vehicles. I've had three trucks with that system and never had a problem. It's certainly something I would do myself if it failed.

The power steering bleed procedure called for by GM says to pull 20hg vacuum with a hand operated vacuum pump that attaches to the PS fill spout after filling to the proper level. Start the engine and turn the steering. Repeat until the bubbles are gone.

I have found you can get away without some of these more elaborate procedures but when dealing with brakes, you need to be sure it's done right.

dnmaxalliTech probably can tell us more.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Just noticed the mileage, I would check with your dealer, they can do warranty assistance up to 5 yr 60k. There might be a deductable or similer involved but worth checking out.. Ifyou have a good relationship with them, they might cover entire repair.

Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts