Diesel Place banner

Arizona Emissions Test

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  ktmrfs 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone gone through Maricopa county (Phoenix) emissions test in Arizona? Part of the test is to floor the accelerator (trans in neutral) and hold it there until the tech tells you to lift. This needs to happen three times.

If you want plates to use your truck on the highways you have no choice but to comply. That seems like a very unwise thing to do to an engine, any engine. What say you all?

#2 ·
yeah, that sounds like a really stupid thing to do. and, of course, is testing a use case that is basically never used (sure, occasionally, someone does use it, but considering all the vehicle hours of every vehicle in the county or state, it is effectively zero).

#3 · (Edited)
Sounds like a receipe for a blown motor....

#5 ·
The engine is electronically governed and will nut suffer one bit in the least. Not saying that I agree with the methods, but...

#7 ·
It's called a 'snap test', and it's a common way to test highway diesel emissions, since it is not practical to dyno most highway diesels.

#8 ·
In Vegas there are only several diesel locations that smog. They have to run the truck on the rollers and have a pipe up the pipe... I think its ALL BS. Its Fed money to run a stupid program. Be like Floridia, no emissions at all. *Rant OFF* :boxing:

Chuck :bigglasse

PAE

#9 ·
I did my 2005 about 15 times and she ran like a top when I sold it. The last couple of times through, I ran with my tuner and it had no effect. Unfortunately it's just a money grab and you have to bend over and take it.

#10 · (Edited)
You can feel good about the inspection system though, it is perfect. It does not discriminate and dudes like this get to share the roads equally. They get to vote too.........many without IDs and voter registration cards, as many times as they choose.

#11 ·
don't see why it would do any damage, rev limiter will kick in. BTW on my two 1997 cars, full throttle in neutral limits at 3K rpm on a engine with a 6000rpm redline.

that's on 20 year old cars, in fact the engine would limit at 3k rpm in neutral when it was introduced in 1990.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.