Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I may be purchasing one of two trucks and would like some feedback if at all possible.

The first truck is a 1994 GMC 1500 SLE 4x4 extended cab that is in excellent condition. It has the 6.5L Diesel, new tires, and shocks with 111K on the clock. The price is $5,800.

The second truck is a 1998 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4 extended cab with all the options, but has some damage to the bed, but not bad. This truck has 135K miles on the clock and the price is $7,500.

Which truck sounds like a good deal to you.

Thank you for your input.

Pete..:)

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
tough to say. I can't see them from here.

I prefer 3/4 ton over 1/2 ton. But as you say, that 1/2 ton is in better condition, new shocks and tires are a plus. It's also less $. On the 1/2 ton, does it have 8 lug or 6 lug wheels?

Gut instinct says go for the one in better condition for less $. You'll be happy to have the extra $ on hand when it acts up.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I don't know about the prices, you will have to compare against other similar vehicles in your area and decide if the prices are in line.

I like the 94, I have grown accustomed to OBD-1 simplicity for reading codes.

The 94 being a K1500 would have the "S" light duty emissions engine, and single theremostat with lower GPM coolant pump.

The 98 HD2500 would have the upgraded cooling system and heavy duty emissions "F" engine (no EGR)

Typically I would think the K1500 should give slightly better fuel economy, but the 2500HD would be more suited to heavier towing, etc.

Most of us I think would prefer the interior of the newer than 94 trucks, so the 98 may have an edge in that department.

I would think almost for certain the 94 will have had a new injection pump under warranty, a few years ago. The 98 possibly, but less likely.

If I were looking for a truck today, I wouldn't be too concerned with the lack of cooling upgrades on the 94, as I don't use my truck for towing,
there is no issue there.

If it were me, I would more than likely buy the 94. Call me thrifty, but a truck with less miles, in better condition (maybe not significant depending on how bad the damage to the box on the 98) and a lower price would likely be the deciding factor.

Look at them, start them, drive them, make an offer on the one you like.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I'd go with the 94 - sounds like the same truck I have ;)

The truck can always be upgraded to an 'F' engine along with the new cooling mods while still retaining the 599 block.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Depends on what your going to do with it. I like the 3/4 ton over the 1/2 ton just in case I decide to start hauling things. I also like the interior of the 98 so much more that I'll never even look at the old square dash models. But if you can live with the qurks of the 94 interior and just looking for something to drive and enjoy then the 94 just might be for you.

I also wouldn't give full asking price for either, both high for me.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your input. The two trucks that I'm looking at are on eBay. Below is a picture of the 1994:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4605592832&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Here is the information on the 1998.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4605492382&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I'm kind of torn because I like the newer interior of the 98, but the 94 is in much better condition and is $1,500 less.

The heavies thing I will be towing is two ATV's and I'm sure either of these trucks would do that with ease. I want the diesel for the fuel economy and reliability.

I couldn't find this in the FAQ documetn but can you tell me if the HP and torque ratings are the same or different between the two. I'm really new to this engine so any information you can provide me with would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Pete

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Personally I like the interior of the 94 better than the 95 and ups. I find my seats to be much more comfortable than my old man's 97 6.5 TD.

ON EDIT - The damage on the 98 looks $$$

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
98 block may be more succeptable to cracking.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I agree with chrisk, the seats in my 94 are very comfortable compared to my buddies newer truck. Also you would have a better engine block with the 94 than with the 98 unless the 98 has been changed out already. If you could get the VIN for each truck, you could have your local stealer (dealer) run a VIN check and see if any major repairs such as IP and so forth have been done on them. They don't charge very much for this info if anything at all. Personally I think the 94 is the better truck in regards to condition and mileage and looks and price. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i like the 98 im looking at the same truck except its a 95 with 140K and she only wants 4500 it sucks theres damge to the bed on the 98 good luck with your decision id take the 98 even with the damge its a sharp lookin truck ive had just about every year of truck and i prefer the interior on the 95's and up

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Is the air intake silencer open on the 98? It looks like the end is wide open.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Good eye, from what i see it looks pretty hacked up. NOT good sucking unfiltered air in there, especially directly from the front like that.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Is the air intake silencer open on the 98? It looks like the end is wide open.
looks like it to me can only imagine what has been sucked in there a 1.5" pvc socket test cap fits perfect in that spot

·
Registered
148 Posts
I like the 98 my self but the damge is going to be $$$$ the price is kinda hi though...
Just my 2 cents worth.

Johnny

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
OK, having bought my 6.5L on Ebay I speak with a bit of experience here, so here is MY 2 cents worth...

The 98 looks pretty banged up, even excluding the impact damage to the bed and cab. Note the scratches and hefty dent on the driver side door. with this truck being in upstate NY I would be concerned with rust given the damage. no telling how old those dents and scratches are. The cars on ebay always look worse in real life than their pictures, but even these pics look pretty bad to me. I'm not saying deceit is happening, its just the way the pictures look on a PC monitor.

Hmmm, take a look at one of the 98 seller's older auctions I found (linked to below): Wow! look at the wrecks in the background! This guy appears to buy salvage cars and resells them. Plus, the seller says "THERE IS SMALL DAMAGE TO THE SIDE OF CAB AND BED", do you call that SMALL damage!? I don't. Personaly, I wouldn't go near the 98 or the seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6445&item=4592078066

The 94's pics look a lot better and it looks like a well taken care of truck. I would have liked more photos from the seller, but from what I can see it looks fine.

If I had to buy one of these two trucks I'd go for the 94 and wouldn't give the 98 another thought.

Send me a private message and I will give you the name of the Ebay seller I bought my truck from last year. He sells lots of trucks, has great feedback, and I had a great experience buying one from him.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
i'd recommend you take the vin # off the ebay site and run it thru the vin check located on this site. you can get the service history for it and be two steps ahead of any potential buyer.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would like to thank everyone for their input. I'm leaning more towards the 1994 GMC. The guy is offering to put new tires on the truck too so this would be good.

The 98 looks pretty banged up to me too, but the interior is nice. In any event, I have posted the VIN# checks a couple of days ago and I'm waiting for a response.

Pete..:)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Dude there is damage to every body part on that truck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts