Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a rebuildable core motor for my LB7. Well I sold the truck but still have the motor and need to know if I would be able to build the short block up and swap my LMM topend onto it? Any differences in the shortblock?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nobody??

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
interchangable for the most part, HOWEVER. The crankshaft reeluctor wheel on the LBZ/LMM's has a different number of teeth IIRC.

As far as I know everything else is the same. COuld be wrong tho :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, just trying to figure if I should sell the motor and find a newer one or not.....2700 Miles on the truck, something has to happen while the bolts still break loose easy:D

·
Registered
546 Posts
can the reluctor wheel be changed or do you have to swap the crank ? i have a lbz short block i plan on putting in my lb7 soon

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Yes it can be swapped.
It mounts with three allen head screws to the waterpump drive gear on the crank. Or you could just remove one tooth from the LBZ one.

·
Registered
546 Posts
thanks guys

·
Vendor
3,579 Posts
you wont be able to just unbolt it and swap it, you leave it on the gear and swap the whole gear, the other gear is held on by four bolts. The main bearing caps are stronger on the LMM, not saying the LB7 isnt strong enough but that is also a differance. Your rotating mass is balanced so make sure if you use stock short block that you also use the LB7 balancer and flexplate.

·
Registered
546 Posts
if i use the lbz rotating assy i use the lbz balancer and flexplate correct ? all balanced together i would assume

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
If use a LBZ crank yes use the LBZ balancer and flywheel.

·
Registered
546 Posts
just checking thanks

·
Vendor
3,579 Posts
what pistons and rods are you going to use?

·
Registered
546 Posts
for now the lbz. can't afford rods right now. this motor has low miles so it's going in with the lb7 heads, and head studs, with my a5k while i build the original lb7 with good rods and probably forged pistons

1 - 14 of 14 Posts