Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to wait to buy a 2008 chevy SB cre cab when reitring. Now I hear all the talk about the new 2007 stndards and how it might hurt mileage and power and price will be higher. My question is should I buy now to avoid the new standards. If I do my commute for the next 2 years is only 3 miles each way. Then I would have long trips on weekends. But will this 2 years a short trips be harmfull to engine

thanks
Dennis

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Should be fine. Change the oil ect at a severe service intervall ect and try to let her warm up and you will be fine. I'd buy what ever you want to buy and not worry about short trips for 2 years :)

:welcome: btw :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Now

If I do my commute for the next 2 years is only 3 miles each way. Then I would have long trips on weekends. But will this 2 years a short trips be harmfull to engine
There's nothing in the "Book" that says "Short trips are harmful"... Engine warranty is 5-Years / 100,000 Miles... Sounds like you'll have lots of warranty-time left when you retire... ):h

Have fun... Treat yourself to a new truck, NOW. :exactly:

Who knows what tomorrow will bring. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
What rat lover said:
It is hard on the diesel for short runs , my trade was medium and heavy duty trucks , and seen many truckers putt around while they were not working and a lot that never warmed it up under load would end up with low oil pressure they would come in the garage all upset thinking it was time to pay me to overhaul their engine . This was not the case . The unburnt fuel would thin the oil out and I would change the oil and they were good to go , smiles and all , so in my opinion it is hard on them but like the ratlover said service it like it was used in extreme service .

:)

·
Registered
569 Posts
if your really concerned look for a keyless startup system and (maybe) a turbo timer, that way your truck will have ample time to warm up and whathaveyou

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm no expert, but I have read that short trips on a diesel can cause carbon build up. Diesel's are made to work hard and seem to do their best when under a heavy load or pulling. Just my .02cents

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
That is true. As long as you get some highway trips on it, it should be fine. Mine has been fine for the year and a half that I have used it. Most of my trips are under 5 miles just to and from work. Now, we have a ford at work that we have had nothing but problems with (I don't believe it is a ford thing). The problem is, we use it for driving on the flightline. So, we hardly ever get it above 15 mph for most of the day. The fastest the truck has probably seen is about 40 mph around base. This truck also idles for extended periods in the winter. I think that is why we have been having so many problems with it. As long as you work the truck every now and again, it should be not be a problem.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The short trips are ok,so long as you stretch its legs and get it up to full temp occasionally.I wouldnt use a remote start to warm it up,it will just take too long to get temperature out it,Idling diesels dont make much heat,just drivie it gently until its up to temp,then hammer down if needed.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Maybe he's out looking for a real truck. Sounds like he may have found one. :muahaha:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I wonder if he's still married, trading my truck behind my back. She's gone. Mike Z

·
Registered
304 Posts
That's the story he told on RV.net and it is consuming his life. His wife and her brother traded his Duramax for a Dodge while he was out of town. He comes back and has a New Dodge, and he's not pissed. Mike Z

·
Registered
515 Posts
Wont hurt it,just stomp it once in awhile to blow out the soot.These are not your old time diesels.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts