Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been suggested on this forum and others that the Dmax injection system has had running changes, “fixing” various problems. At one point the consensus was my truck, with a build date of May 2002, had the latest and greatest injectors and I wouldn’t have the problems the ‘01’s and early ‘02’s had.

Well, I’ve recently had my injection pump and 8 injectors replaced at 62,000 km. The fact that they now replace all 8 suggests either the new ones are somehow more durable, or perhaps the labor costs of replacing eight once is better than one injector eight times.

Conversations people have had with GM engineers and others have been posted here indicating improvements have been made. What’s the consensus here, have the problems been fixed, or have they stuck a Band-Aid on it just good enough to get the inevitable failure outside the warranty window?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I will find out, Dmax is in the shop now recieving all 8. Only had a problem on one, but they are slapping all 8 in. Can't wait to get her back. 88,xxx miles, new injectors and an Edge Juice to be installed as soon as I get her back home.

·
Registered
112 Posts
MBH,

I'm jealous, I would pay good money to get new injectors after 88k.

A friend of mine was pissed off because he needed to have his whole engine replaced under warranty at 43k, (it was a CTD). That just didn't make sense to me.

Anyways there is a rumour floating that some major bugs have been worked out, including replacement parts for the LB7. Don't ask me to site a credible source because I can't. But I sure hope it's true. --SS

·
Registered
692 Posts
just finnished one up and yes there is a bulliten out for if we find one injector that we are to replace all 8.
i replaced all 8 and pump found 3 injectors on the pass side leaking and the sleeves leaking as well all in all gm cost on parts for warranty was up around 4k and labor billed out was 17.5. makes people happy when its fixed right.
got another tonight towed in with injectors down.this truck has 90k miles the other mentioned above had 40k and its second set of injectors.yes the "new" injectors are better.i have yet to hear what is the true failure
but it to come.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have done several replacements. Never had a problem with the new injector. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
One would think it would be 8 injectors a pump and a secondary racor fuel filter.

But alas GM in its grand wisdom just wants to push it past that pesky 100k warranty.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Greetings all. Newbie here.....

I have a '01 with 101K. Dealer replaced two injectors @ 96K. After I picked her up, I noticed a low end "knock" and "tapping noise". Dealer tech test drove and said it was fine. I've been told by several other DMax owners mine is "loud". Any thoughts ole wise ones? Kevin

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey just wondering. What exactly are the signs of an injector failure. Will the engine light come on?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I lost some engine power, and threw the SES light. Couldn't get up above 1800 RPM's. Got her back with new injectors and running like a bandit again. I love warranty work, having a good dealer and service manager makes all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
183 Posts
KT7307, Had all my injectors replaced at 30,000. At 48,000 started to get the same noise you described. Brought it back to dealer twice and they said it was fine, I said don't worry I'll bring it back when it's really broke. I'm thinking that sooner or later the faulty injector is going to burn a hole in the piston. Either that, or I'll get my hands on a Tech II so I can pinpoint which injector it is, then go back to the dealer and give lessons!! They claim you can't kill cylinders under a load, but I'm positive you can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts