Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen/heard of quite a run on head gaskets lately. Got one in this morning, needs head gaskets, fuel rail (leak) and mulitlple injectors, just finished one yesterday (head gaskets) and did two previous to that in the last 2 months... A trend?

·
Registered
841 Posts
What were the model years and do the VIN numbers represent a possible production flaw or short-term Quality control problem? That would be my guess if this problem is otherwise uncommon. SPICER

·
Registered
398 Posts
What model years were they?

Not A good sign.

·
Registered
692 Posts
i have had 2 trucks with head problems on was not the head but the bolt that clamps the injector down was over tightened and snaped off vechicle had just come off the truck and made one test drive only 20 miles or so. the damage was enough to replace the head. also had one that some how got the wrong gasket you know the a,b,c thing.
seen return lines lose this is the most commom thing i have seen more line than injectors. had a few pumps leak out of the front seal. i think you are seeing head gsks more due to our luck as techs. you know how you may see a problem of a constant week and then not see it for 5 months.in a cycle. like i had 3 trailblazers in a 2 week time with blown rear diffs thats a first for me.ect.ect.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
A local cattle hauler has 8 dmaxes. His oldest is an '01 with over 200,000 miles and has had no problems except with being on his 2nd set of injectors on the '01 and has had injector issues with each one of his rigs including his newest '03. Reason for injector failure? Leaking seals and lines and rust on the injector tips. He has OEM filtering only and runs no additive.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts

I believe from what I've seen hanging around these forums since the beginning of the Duramax release I've heard of 10 ..... Looking around at memberships on these forums with non posting lurkers that are more then likely have a Duramax in their driveway are in the thousands ....

Lets gamble and say there was how many Duramax's sold in the three model years, anyone care to take a stab at it ??

What do you feel would be an exceptable Monday mourning mechanical failure return .....?? Defective part return ??

I think we worry to much ....

You have stock to people pushing 600 HP with these motors .... Your looking for a common cause ?? Good luck .....

Ease the seat back relax and enjoy the ride ....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Ease the seat back relax and enjoy the ride ....

Trying....

·
Registered
365 Posts
How can you call, "no problems except with being on his second set of injectors..." NO PROBLEMS?

If that comes out of your pocket that is a LOT of trouble in my book. Try that if it was 8 separate failures and breakdowns that cost appx. $1,000 each and all the time involved. Chances are multiple ones were replaced each time but you never know.

It's just seems to be very costly in many ways to keep a Duramax running. So costly that they are just not worth having out of warranty.

When Eric says ...."GM has got it together with the Duramax now", I'll switch back.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
dmaxalliTech said:
Seen/heard of quite a run on head gaskets lately. Got one in this morning, needs head gaskets, fuel rail (leak) and mulitlple injectors, just finished one yesterday (head gaskets) and did two previous to that in the last 2 months... A trend?
Eric did mine (head gaskets) yesterday.

Thanks Eric for a job well done. Got home 7:15 PM tonight.
Truck runs perfect.

I'll be posting pics shortly.

Here were my symptoms...

Pressurizing coolant tank and some overflow.
Intermittant low coolant light.
Engine temp swings.... to the cold side.

It was not using cooolant. Once it ejected about a quart or two, it simply kept raising and lowering the level.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
captainmal said:
When Eric says ...."GM has got it together with the Duramax now", I'll switch back.
Enjoy that Dodge Larry
Its gonna be a while before I say that. I do like the engine, but GM is gonna have to pull there head from down below or things wont be any better. I think I seen a GM rep today..

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
captainmal said:
How can you call, "no problems except with being on his second set of injectors..." NO PROBLEMS?

If that comes out of your pocket that is a LOT of trouble in my book. Try that if it was 8 separate failures and breakdowns that cost appx. $1,000 each and all the time involved. Chances are multiple ones were replaced each time but you never know.

It's just seems to be very costly in many ways to keep a Duramax running. So costly that they are just not worth having out of warranty.

Its clear that the guy has water in his fuel with rust on his injector tips. That should be resolved first.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Has anybody attempted to contact G.M. about these concerns?

·
Registered
398 Posts
<DIV>Hay Hoot, </DIV>
<DIV>How many miles do you have on your truck?</DIV>
<DIV>In one pictures I seen A cylinder bore that still had cross hatch in it.</DIV>
<DIV>Block and cylinders must be made of A good grade of cast.</DIV>

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Well I guess that answers my question. Do you think a Duramx on level 5 in 4 low with a 40k tow strap could pull it out?

·
Registered
841 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Its clear that the guy has water in his fuel with rust on his injector tips. That should be resolved first.

[/QUOTE] This would be my guess also, maybe being a fleet of diesels with his business, he has his own above ground storage tank that has a water/contaminant problem.

Maybe our resident technicians have the best ability to give us an idea of true PERCENTAGES of troubled vehicles. One thing MUST be understood: Forums such as this one are a HAVEN for individuals with troubled vehicles.

As far as I can tell there are two primary types of individuals that frequent these forums. Diesel Enthusiasts and those looking for answers to their unfortunate mechanical problems. I'll bet that if we really think about it, every one of us falls into one of these two categories, maybe both. I for one am one who found the forums because of a dealer oversight. I had never even been on the internet in my life until I did my first oil change. I found 15 quarts of oil in my drainpan and FREAKED!!
Of course I wanted answers and I did not trust the dealers explanation so I ventured into cyberspace. In hindsight I am truly thankful for my crankcase overfill. Because of it, I have learned more about caring for my truck than I ever thought was possible.

I also was alarmed at all of the reports of failed injectors and other problems, but again we must recognize the profile of the typical diesel forum user.......Are you an enthusiast or did you find your way here because of a problem, looking for answers?
SPICER

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spicer has a valid point, and that tends to make problems look bigger then they are.. But when I see a bunch of problems on trucks from guys that have never heard of the 'place' 'page' 'tech' or others...that gets me more concerned..

1 - 20 of 190 Posts