Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot about Suncoast and ATS, but I wonder how the BD-Power holds up. Any of you guys running one??

Ox

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I might be going this route. I say might because I have heard of some people who had it and changed to suncoast.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
They just don't garranty any real holding power .... Last I heard was 450 at the flywheel ...

Mac

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
King D had there tranny for a while but switched out. From what he said, it was a decent tranny and held just fine then, but he couldnt get it just right. So he switched. My personnal opinion, they are way overpriced for the power rating they give.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
the tranny did fine for the power i had on it at the time.problem i had was getting the internal pressures set just right for smooth driving in t/h mode.i feel if i would have been able to go to a bd installer that the tranny would have been much better.not sure it would hold for me what the suncoast is,but i do know of a very high hp max that is running the bd tranny and has yet to have any trouble.very good company to deal with they offered to do what ever it takes to make me happy.prolly worth another try....

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
What about their shift kit and converter. Anyone running that combo? I need to research that option as I am only 4 or less hours from them.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
They claim they build their own converter AND shift kit.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I really don't know Mike. This is just what I was told by them.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Tony

They very well could be doing something on their own now and i am not saying anything bad about them. I think they are a great outfit. I do know they have a lot of dealings with Transgo and get technical assits from them on a regular basis as do many good transmission builders (including myself).

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
They make their own converter....and I was told by a tranny tech there that it is a single disc.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Edited by: DIESEL 5

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just got an email saying they only had a stock replacement converter for the Allison!

FYI - Dave Dias from BD was the person who sent me the info...

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Joe E

There is nothing wrong with a properly built single disc converter. You figure the factory converter bites less than 30%; a properly built single disc should bite close to 100%. That means you just tripled the apply area of your converter clutch. I am not saying the single disc is as good as a triple, but for people out there that are not hard on their trans, it is a very viable alternative. We all know who is hard on their trans here. I dare not name names for fear of the Junta.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mike, thanks. I actually realized that, but their implication is that it's only a stock equivalent converter... I asked about power handling, etc, and their one liner said: we only have a stock replacement - I interpret that to mean they have not done anything to address power handling...

·
Registered
267 Posts
... So, who makes a good single disk? I know Suncoast does, but they say "For the stock or lower power levels " (whodat?). Who else offers a single disc which'll hold ~400+ rwhp? Is there much of a point to a single disc other than cost?

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Joe E

The problem lies with you guys. You go into said shop and say " i need a converter to hold a hundred horsepower over what i have" Lets say this shop builds you a converter that holds it quite well. Well. you go out and find some more horsepower (natural thing to do) and you find out the converter you bought is not holding. Duh. You do not feel like spending more money for another converter. Converter shop says " ain't my fault". You have a dilema. Now remember that you bought the cheaper converter because you didn't want to spend money on the higher priced converter, or what ever the mod was. Who is to blame? If you even think about more horsepower in the future, buy big. This is not a flame or critisizm, just some real world facts.

mike

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
TTS single disc looks like an awsome piece. I say "looks" because I have not driven one personally. I have toured the facility and seen the manufacturing procedure. Meticulus attention to detail is how it is best described.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts