Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the 2001 suburban 2500 and 2007 suburban 2500 frames are the same.
I want to do a duraburb and i can find gmt900 suburbans for around 5 to 6 thousand the cheapest 2500 i have found is 11000. But i have a lead on a 2001 suburban 2500 for $500 with no engine or trans.
So what i want to do is buy the gmt900 suburban and then use the 2500 gmt800 frame under the new body with an lmm

·
Administrator
16,657 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
I moved your post over to the "Frankenstein" section of the forum for more appropriate answers to your questions.

:thumb:

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
gmt900 frames are different from gmt800. It's not going to be a bolt-up situation.

If they were both gmt800, then it pretty similar, but I would expect some small changes between different years.

When I was replacing body panels on my '04 Sierra, I noticed earlier panels would be missing the odd hole for a wiring harness support, or a spot for an additional bracket/bolt that my truck's original panel had. I don't think the frame would be any different.

·
Registered
17 Posts
gmt900 frames are different from gmt800. It's not going to be a bolt-up situation.
This is true for the 1/2 ton Suburban, and pickups, but are you SURE this is true for the 2500 3/4 Ton Suburban???

My understanding, when the GMT900 was introduced, and when the new 2007/8 Suburbans were still new and available to see on the dealership lots, was that the 1/2 ton Suburban frame changed, but the 3/4 ton Suburban frame carried over from the GMT800 to the GMT900, at least until 2010.

I took drove my 2005 3/4 ton 2500 Suburban to a dealership lot in late 2007, where I found (rare as a hen's tooth) a new 2500 Suburban on the lot, and other than some bracing added at the rear of the frame, aft of the rear axle, in the area where the new integrated hitch/rear bumper mounted, between the top and bottom frame flanges... the frames looked identical to me. The GM Upfitter's resources also indicted that the frames on the 3/4 Ton Suburban/YukonXL platform were the same (apart from the rear bumper support frame flange bracing mentioned above).

I remember thinking at the time that if a tree ever fell on my Suburban, I could keep the frame and replace the entire body with the updated body style.

However, now I have grown partial to the rounded GMT800 body style, and prefer it, if only because feels like it has thicker sheet metal.

Anyway, are you SURE that the 2500 SUV's have different frames between the 800 and 900? Everything I remember seeing and reading says that the frames were carried over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts