Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Nov '04 I purchased an '02 2500HD Extended Cab knowing the D-Max destroyed the best Dodge and Ford could offer. I then "stumbled" onto the Banks Power website and ordered the whole package from them as soon as i saw it. 4" Monster exhaust, Six-Gun, Speed-Loader, Wastgate, etc...
Reading the mods some people have done on this site, I'm begining to think I should have done a lot more research. I don't really see too many people running anything from Banks other then an occasional wastegate or exhaust.

Did I waste $1750 that I could have spent better? I'd still like to get some more "safe" power and remove my speed limiter, but does this mean I'll need to ditch the Banks computer stuff and start over?:badidea: or not??? Is this set up "stackable" with other products like I've seen mentioned all over this forum?

Sorry for the 50 questions, I'm new to tuning my diesel; this website and all of you on here have already been a huge help...

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
569 Posts
I heard their products definitly do not stack well and are a bit over priced. Becareful with playing on the higher lvls on a stock transmission

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
Does the Banks even remove the speed limiter?

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Dont feel bad......i did the same thing. Count your losses and start over. Keep the exhaust and the big head. Try to sell the rest. Do some research and find what you want in your truck. Welcome to the place!!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
yeah i was looking at banks because of all the advertising they do on spike tv! i thought that was the best of the best, and i always need the best!hahaha...but i did look at this website first before doing anything. heard they dont stack well and bad customer service..and i heard a ton of good stuff about edge. i had to get my attitude replaced, it didnt have the void warranty if sticker is removed on it, and they still sent me a new one with out charge.. they are all about customers!
robert

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
In Nov '04 I purchased an '02 2500HD Extended Cab knowing the D-Max destroyed the best Dodge and Ford could offer. I then "stumbled" onto the Banks Power website and ordered the whole package from them as soon as i saw it. 4" Monster exhaust, Six-Gun, Speed-Loader, Wastgate, etc...
Reading the mods some people have done on this site, I'm begining to think I should have done a lot more research. I don't really see too many people running anything from Banks other then an occasional wastegate or exhaust.

Did I waste $1750 that I could have spent better? I'd still like to get some more "safe" power and remove my speed limiter, but does this mean I'll need to ditch the Banks computer stuff and start over?:badidea: or not??? Is this set up "stackable" with other products like I've seen mentioned all over this forum?

Sorry for the 50 questions, I'm new to tuning my diesel; this website and all of you on here have already been a huge help...

Thanks,
Brad
Have you installed these items yet?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the exhaust, six gun kit, and the filter drop in are in, but the Wastegate, EGT & Boost Guages, and Speed Loader aren't in yet. I was planning to put the Wastegate in today, and the rest this weekend....

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
You're at the limit of the Allison's holding capacity with the Banks Six-Gun on levels 5 and 6 with Speedloader, so to get any more power to the ground you'll have to upgrade your transmission. If you're not planning on doing anything with the transmission, I think you'll be happy with this setup.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
DO NOT run in levels 5 & 6 in 5th gear! Play all you want in town in these levels but dont let it shift into 5th on WOT or youll limp the tranny. If you have the cash do a TransGo and a converter now.....and you will be able to play in the upper levels all day long.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
From what I have experienced Banks stuff is good, slightly over priced but good none the less. I swaped out my Six-Gun for and Edge because I was sick of dealing with customer service and I wanted to stack. I agree with Duratys count you losses, try to sell what you can on eBay and move on!

·
Registered
617 Posts
While you're doing research, see how many of the Edge customers have had problems with their module. Sure Edge has great customer service, but be ready to use it. I have 2 years and over 50K hard-pulling miles with the Six Gun and am very pleased. If you want stackability and want to push the motor to the extreme, look elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Dont get me wrong. I really liked the Banks stuff i had. Worked really good for what i wanted at the time....never had an issue with it whatsoever. It just sounded to me like he wanted something more than what the 6gun has to offer. For pulling trailers and lighting up the tires once in a while this is a good setup. For high HP dyno runs dragracin or sled pullin youll be suckin hind tit.

·
Registered
242 Posts
All I can say about the Banks is that I've been running the six-gun/speed loader combo for over 50,000 miles in my 03/CC/SB with no problems. Approaching 70K miles and running great. As with any power-adder, running it WOT all the time will shorter component life, but I use L3 and L4 most of the time with zero problems. It's not the most powerful but Bank's claims for not affecting reliability have certainly been true for me, and I rarely come up against another truck (or car) that I cannot teach a lesson to in L4.

·
Registered
774 Posts
If you have it, you might as well use it, doubt you will get what you paid for it on e-Bay.

As with anything, those who have problems will show up in the forums, those who are happy won't.

I have the Edge and nary a problem, I haven't needed their customer service. With exhaust, Edge and Predator, I am up to your price, so I don't think you wasted anything. I like the stack but don't use it because of a stock tranny.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
why does the banks not stack well with other and how do you know and is anyone on hear stacking with a banks or what

·
Registered
13 Posts
IMHO Banks makes quality products but pushes things that you really don't need. You can get better performance from other manufacturers for the same price or less. My buddy has had very good results with Edge. He had trouble with a box that he bought used and they still only charged him shipping and gave him a new one. Customer service has been #1.

·
Registered
204 Posts
the Banks customer service does suck. i had a wastegate that just wouldnt build boost. i had to send the wastegate back on my bill, wait for them to figure out why it didnt work, and then they would refund it. i had a problem with the edge box getting hot and shuting off. called edge, they sent me a new box on their bill, and included a return slip to send the old one back on their bill. 4 days and all was good.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
If you don't plan on racing it every day and just want something that will take care of a ricer on occasion, run it. If you want to safely pull a trailer, run it. As others have said, 5 & 6 will eventually eat the trans like any of the boxes that exceed the 80-90 horsepower mark. That just means play cautiously and don't be surprised when the trans finally gives out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts