Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the DPPI 4" 409 SS exhaust for my truck which is a nice kit looks and fits great but the muffler is too LOUD and I haven't even towed with it yet. The muffler has a 24" body and is 30" long overall. It is made out of 304 SS and is reversable (louvers inside). If anyone with a 4" Banks monster exhaust wants a louder muffer I'd be willing to trade or buy one from someone who put a straightpipe on their truck instead of the Banks muffler.Edited by: mtomac

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mike,

I also have the DPPI 4" system (aluminized). Very easy install nice quality but I agree it could be a little quieter. I would also like to make a change to a different muffler. The wife will no longer get in the truck
!

The way I see it the limiting factor is the length of the muffler you can fit in its place. I thought of adding a Donaldson resonator. But then again I have been thinking about it for about 8 months. With the windows up I thought about it less. But summer is around the corner!

Lets us know what you end up with

·
Registered
445 Posts
mtomac:

How much louder is it compaired to the flowmaster? I've been thinking about the 4' flowmaster system for my truck.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
mtomac said:
I bought the DPPI 4" 409 SS exhaust for my truck which is a nice kit looks and fits great but the muffler is too LOUD and I haven't even towed with it yet. The muffler has a 24" body and is 30" long overall. It is made out of 304 SS and is reversable (louvers inside). If anyone with a 4" Banks monster exhaust wants a louder muffer I'd be willing to trade or buy one from someone who put a straightpipe on their truck instead of the Banks muffler.

Mike if it will fit the Banks kit, and you can wait until the next Grand Rapids get-to-gether. I will trade you. Let me know! It is no big deal either way.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dmax affair, its loud enough I'm considering putting my stock 3.5" exhaust and Flowmaster muffler back on.

HDmax, how long is the body on the banks muffler and how long is it overall ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just installed a Summit exhaust, and it is too quite. No drone in the cab at all. It needs to be straight piped. My old straight piped stock system was very quite in the cab until I added a 5" tailpipe that exited 90° from the bedside instead of pointed out at an angle. I will have to wait until it gets above freezing so I can cruise with the windows down before I straight pipe it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Mike Tomac,

The Banks muffler for the CC/SB is 28" overall; 21" long body with 3.5" long inlet and outlet tubes. Have you priced just the muffler through Banks?

Josh

·
Registered
941 Posts
Wow, the Summit Exhaust too quiet?? Obviously different ears!!

I also have the Summit Exhaust system on my truck but it was too loud for me and took it off for a few months. I just recently reinstalled the system, but put a Magnaflow in place of the "glasspack" summit gives and it is much better, but still noisy. It is louder than stock on acceleration, but cruising seems tame. Only around 1900 rpms does it get a bit too intrusive in the cab. Still waiting for the first tow with the exhaust system to see what note it puts out under load. If it is too loud, its going into the classifieds as I am tired of f'in with it. Wish there was a quieter way to obtain 100-200 degree drop in EGT's while towing......

I guess some of us have come to enjoy the quietness of the dmax, both the engine and the exhaust and try to keep it as close as possible. Oh well, to each his own.

Bob

On edit:
The Magnaflow muffler was 30" overall, 24" body. Part number was 12772.Edited by: 4x4man

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Banks drone is at 15-1700 RPM. 1600 being the worst. However still not bad.

Believe it or not but adjusting the Banks tip, in or out makes a noticable difference in regards to interior noise.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GMCSLEHD, thanks for the measurements. The banks muffler is only 2" shorter than the DPPI muffler. Do they use the same muffler for all cab configurations? BTW Banks wants just over $310 for just the muffler including shipping.

Bronco, I've played with the location of the tip (in and out) and even took it off. It doesn't seem to make a difference. The muffler is just too loud for me.Edited by: mtomac

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Hey Mtomac,

The Banks is not a bad choice. It does have a slight in cab drone at 1600RPM. Otherwise it sounds good. Very quite under constant throttle. Loud under acceleration. This Monster tip in the Banks sytem does allow a little fine tuning. Some probally wont like this but alot of times my truck sounds like a very tough gasser!

BTW, from what Banks tells me, the drone is the worst on extended cab short beds??Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
83 Posts
does anyone offer a dual exhaust with 2 mufflers? Would it fit?

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Dual exaust yes. Two mufflers no.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Install a 4" Dynomax race magnum in the piece often called the "downpipe". 2 straight through mufflers shouldn't be much of a restriction.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
mtomac said:
HDmax, how long is the body on the banks muffler and how long is it overall ?

Looks like it is 21 1/4" body and 28" over all. Don`t think it will work without adjusting the tailpipe.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
dieselfumes said:
I just installed a Summit exhaust, and it is too quite. No drone in the cab at all. It needs to be straight piped. My old straight piped stock system was very quite in the cab until I added a 5" tailpipe that exited 90° from the bedside instead of pointed out at an angle. I will have to wait until it gets above freezing so I can cruise with the windows down before I straight pipe it.

The Summit is louder then the Banks! At least in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts