Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are selling Chevron ATF by the case at Costco for around $12.00. Is this OK for the Allison?

·
Registered
695 Posts
It may work, but I doubt it is the best for your tranny. Transdyne and some of the others are what the "people in the know" recommend. I wouldn't try to save a buck by running cheap fluid in my ally.....

·
Registered
333 Posts
$12 bucks a case???? I just got it the other day for $27, is it on sale where you are?

I'm using it to flush the tranny and transfer case, it's DexIII and should work just fine.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Just remember!!!! if you have push touch 4x4 (auto-trak) you have to use auto-trak fluid ONLY!!!! and Allison " ONLY RECOMENDS SYNTEC FLIUD IN THE ALLISON" you could see a littler higher slipping in the clutches.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Just remember!!!! if you have push touch 4x4 (auto-trak) you have to use auto-trak fluid ONLY!!!!
The 2500 and 3500 transfer case is a manual transfer case, it is just electrically actuated. The pushbuttons on the dash do not signify "Auto-Trac". Auto Trac is only installed in some 1500's and the SUVs.
and Allison " ONLY RECOMENDS SYNTEC FLIUD IN THE ALLISON" you could see a littler higher slipping in the clutches.
Somebody forgot to tell GM :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
i farm in s idaho, went to my chevron jobber, he gave me to large product info catalogs. the one transposed castrol transynd to chevron atf heavy duty syn. cheapest transynd, 42 bucks per gal. chevron was a tick over 21. chev only came in 5 gal buckets, just about right for trans flush and fill. i think they all meet dexron III specs, which is what gm specifies.

·
Registered
272 Posts
True you only need a dino ATF, but for those wanting TranSynd there are few options.

According Allison, there is no Chevron equivalent. Does your label say its TES-295 approved?

These are the only approved equivalents per the Allison website:

BP Autran 295
Cognis Emguard 2805
International Truck Fleetrite Synthetic ATF
Exxon Mobil Delvac Synthetic ATF (not the same as Mobil1 ATF)

All of these of these labels will say "Allison Approved, Complies with TES-295 Specification"

My local Allison shop says the gallon of TranSynd lists for $32, but he sells them for $29.

Check this Link
http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/autoapp172/viewpage.jsp?ThisPage=3

·
Registered
86 Posts
Add Citgo to that list

Add Citgo Quatrasyn Synthetic Transmission Fluid to that list it is
Allison TES 295 approved as well.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Anyone know what the fluid capacity is for the Allison 1000? I'm trying to figure out how much Transynd to get for a complete fluid change.

thanks

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
A 5 gallon bucket will cover you with a couple of quarts left over for the transfer case.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Anyone know what the fluid capacity is for the Allison 1000? I'm trying to figure out how much Transynd to get for a complete fluid change.

thanks
If you have the stock pan, you'll drain right at 7.5 quarts thru the drain plug. I think the whole system (stock) is 13 quarts. If you have a Mike L cooler and/or deep pan you need more.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
If you have the stock pan, you'll drain right at 7.5 quarts thru the drain plug. I think the whole system (stock) is 13 quarts. If you have a Mike L cooler and/or deep pan you need more.
I thought a complete flush including the convertor took closer to 17qts?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
$12 bucks a case???? I just got it the other day for $27, is it on sale where you are?

I'm using it to flush the tranny and transfer case, it's DexIII and should work just fine.
Just checked yesterday, it is now up to $16. I think I got it about 1 year ago for around $12.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Where do I find this Mike L cooler? I live in Texas and tow a 28' TT
Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Amsoil questions

I just did a tranny flush for mr D/max / ally. I used amsoil synthetic. Unfortunatlly I just found this thread today. I checked the Allison web site (http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/autoapp172/viewpage.jsp?ThisPage=3) and the amsoil ATF is not listed as an approved ATF. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Will this cause me some problems in the future? Also I did not use the Torque drive ATF just the universal ATF. I spoke with a Tech from Amsol and he said it should be OK but I am looking for other opinions.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Universal is their basic Dex-III-compatible synth, probably comparable to Mobil-1, so it's technically cool. Interesting thing is that Amsoil claims that Universal meets Toyota T-IV, while Mobil specifically states that M1-ATF is incompatible.
TorqueDrive is their replacement for TranSynd... supposedly better than Universal.

As far as whether or not it's on Allison's approved list, that's the risk you take with Amsoil. The product MAY be good for 25k, and it MAY be compatible with Dex-III/Dex-VI, T-IV, Merc, etc... but you are taking Amsoil's word for it and will be dealing with them if there are any failures due to their product.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts