Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine block heater seems to work well in keeping the engine warm. However, I have to wait quite a while for the ice/frost on the windows to melt. Has anyone added a small electric heater in the cab to prevent the frost? It seems like a 500W 120V heater on a timer would work great. However, I want to make sure there is no fire hazard and how to run the 120V wiring. Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Close the rear console vents off if you have a Bucket/Console truck.

Put the visors down and move the sliding sun shades toward the rear view mirror.

It will defrost quickly this way.

T
NY

·
Registered
473 Posts
I had a heater in my 98 Dodge Ram. I ran a cord through the firewall to under the seat. I used a heater that had a ceramic element. I would plug it in to a time that came on 2 hours before I was to go to work, it worked great. Never had to scrape frost off windows. It gets way belowe zero sometimes here. Make sure you get a Ceramic element heater with all the safty stuff on it!!!! I have seen heaters made for this application at a few Auto Parts Stores.Edited by: BIGMoe

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
On the 93 x cab I used to have, hear at work they have 110V plugs for block heaters and only 3 of us diesels so I used to set a 1000w/1500w ceramic heater w/ thermostat on floor on passenger side and plug it and block heater both in.

The cold nites w/ freezing rain were great, jump in and go.

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Go to an auto parts store and ask for a "Lil Buddy" heater. It's 120V, designed for use in a vehicle. The cord is two piece so it will easily fit through a hole in the firewall. They don't throw out a lot of heat, but do keep the windows clear. At 50 below it would keep the interior up at around 35 below. Not great, but better than nothing.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
At -10 my little ceramic house heater kept it in the 50's or so.

I got one w/ the thermostat so i set it before getting out so if it got to warm it would cycle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts