Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am looking at an aux inout to get rid of the cassette adapter from my SkyFi XM radio. Found the following device: PAC AAI-GM Adapter

It's available on Ebay for about $40. Ebay item

Anyone have one of these ? How well does it work ? How much of a PITA was it to install ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am using a similiar adaptor for my XM radio. Jason at JP Customs has both types of the aux. inputs for sale with explanations.

http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=306

If you have On-Star I think the one you have listed is the one you want to go with. The one I am using was a piece of cake to install. The dash trim piece snaps righ off. Then the radio is right there. Slide the radio out and the adaptor snaps right into place in the aux jack on the back of the radio. Mine has a set of RCA jacks that I can connect right the the back of my Sony XM radio with a cord form Radio Shack that goes from the RCA's to a 1/8" male plug. Works excellent and the sounds is much improved over the FM modulation.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Hey diesel dad......

Why does the ad say a modulator degrades sound?
Is this true? Thats what I have and it sounds real good.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose that a direct interface as compared to an FM modulator is like comparing a CD to listening to the radio ...

Looks like the JP Customs unit is the same as the PAC unit judging by the picture.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
problemchild said:
Hey diesel dad......

Sound quality is lost when the signal is manipulated. Kind of like an fm modulated cd changer. Same thing. A direct signal line is always better.

I know what I'm trying to say, but it doesn't seem to be coming out like I want to say it...

Ty

·
Registered
747 Posts
tysmith said:
problemchild said:
Hey diesel dad......

Sound quality is lost when the signal is manipulated. Kind of like an fm modulated cd changer. Same thing. A direct signal line is always better.

I know what I'm trying to say, but it doesn't seem to be coming out like I want to say it...

Ty

With a direct signal line, you have a broader frequency range than you will get with FM modulator or cassette adapter. The frequency range will be along the same lines as a cd.

Is that perhaps what you were trying to say Ty?

·
Registered
197 Posts
If I am not mistaken, FCC guidelines and the given frequency range limit the applicable frequency range for radio from 50 Hz to around 15 kHz (or something like that). So, with a direct connect, you're more likely to get a fuller frequency range as well as less interference. Plus, I don't think that FM modulation has the dynamic range that a CD can provide when directly connected. I don't personally know if this makes a difference in a car. But, some above have stated it does!

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have one installed so I can have a CD changer, XM and keep the cassette. Works good, but the wife couldn't figure out how to turn on the XM once.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I did the install this weekend. Some good. Some not so good.
1). The sound is great -- much better than the cassette adapter.

2). I still need to leave a cassette in the player for it to work and it makes a little mechanical noise that I could do without.

3). Much harder than it should have been to get the factory stereo out. One of the cable harnesses is too short (ironically the one to the cassette deck) and it took a lot of coaxing before it finally let loose.

4). Not easy to found a mounting spot for the adapter box. Finally used a big chunk of velcro to mount it to the top of the dash behind the center air vent.

5). The A/B/C switch is a little hoaky and it seemed prone to fail. Also did not find a good spot to mount iy yet. May just buy a better switch and replace it altogether.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Bogus about the cassette. I dont want a wire hanging out my dash. I guess the modulator isnt so bad after all. I mostly listen to talk radio so it sounds ok to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts