Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought a new tranny without having ever limped or zinged their stock Allison?

I have 5000 miles on the Quad 110hp and another 5000 miles on the Quad 135, with no limps, zings, or anything unusual. I floor it at least twice a day, without any symptoms of trouble. I really want to add some more power (165hp in the short term, and 215+ in the long term). The problem is I have a hard time saving up for a transmission when I have no personal experiance that I need one. Part of me wants to just get the 165hp tune, and see what happens. Do you think if I did this, and I limped the tranny, I could just back down to a lower tune, and start saving for a tranny, or once it starts limping, does it wear out quick.

A related question. Who else is running over 125hp on the stock Allison without issue? Am I the only one? Is the 10000 miles I have too soon to notice any problems? One thing I did do, that most others might not have, is I spent at least a week in each tune (50, 70, 90, 110, 135) before going up to the next tune. Once I went up to the next tune, I never went back. Perhaps I gave the Allison much more time to acclimate to the added power than most. This brings up another thing I was wondering about the Edge with Attitude. With the ability to change tunes on the fly, isn't anyone worried that the Allison would be continuously trying to relearn how to shift with every change?

·
Registered
909 Posts
It will be interesting to see what you learn.

I always assumed the thrashing occurred from 1) throttle/brake starts and 2) >=125HP modules w/deep throttle shifts from 4th to 5th gear.

If these were the only causes and you avoided them (but momma, that's where the fun is), you could get by.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
.......save your money

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I ran the Hot Juice on mine as a daily driver and raced it quite a bit. I never had a problem with my tranny. I was aggressive with the fluid and filter changes and always watched the temp.

After I started stacking I was more careful and decided to get a tranny upgrade. My clutches and steels were in great shape (relatively speaking), only a few minor burns.

You can get by if you are careful, mine went two years with no trouble. I eventually got tired of doubting the tranny or wondering if it would grenade so I got the Suncoast. You won't regret the power it allows you to put to the ground with peace of mind.

If you play you will pay so save the bucks like sdaver said.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have the Juice set on 90 right now and if I put the hammer down it doesn't seem put the power to the ground. Its not slipping the clutches, it almost feels like it's running through the converter. Is this what everyone else is feeling ? I get much better performance with like half throttle wacks. I have had filter problems, I'm wondering if they're back again and it's starving for fuel.

·
Banned
328 Posts
I have seen trannied go 30k so far with a 135hp tune with no problems, but he is very modest with it. I have also seen them go 2k. I guess the biggest factory ishow you use your truck and how you treat the power you have.

The flip side to that is that if you are eventually going to get a transmission and you know this, I don't believe any tranny place charges more or less for the condition of the core?

I agree with the other guys in that you have no idea what it is like to be able to put every stich of power to the ground!

On changing power levels on the fly and the tranny shifting it is usually not a big deal. Most people use whatever power they have available to them. So if you have a box that goes to 100hp you are more than likely going to use it. Once your tranny gets used to is lower the power is no big deal and very rarely do they keep the power turned down too long. Also most of the time they are in the higher levels they are doing WOT runs and the trannies adapt to that pretty fast.

Hope that helps.

Quad

·
Registered
652 Posts
Amric,

Has anyone bought a new tranny without having ever limped or zinged their stock Allison?

Not a new tranny, but a Suncoast upgrade yes. I never limped mine once in 10,000 miles running at 90hp or less.

Do you think if I did this, and I limped the tranny, I could just back down to a lower tune,

Yes, but once you pay for the 165, your gonna want to run it. For me it was one week between 165 upgrade and tranny upgrade, and it was all I could do not to nail it.

Who else is running over 125hp on the stock Allison without issue? Am I the only one? Is the 10000 miles I have too soon to notice any problems?

I recently drove someone's 3500 Dmax with a 125hp tuner that had around 30k miles, and it was having fits with 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. I was on city streets and and not able to get it into 4-5, where I'm sure it slipped worse or limped.

Upgrade your tranny now and sleep good at night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts