Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking up how to fix an inoperative fuel gauge (after an unsuccessful attempt to have the cluster repaired and buying a replacement) and I saw this on Amazon:

Curious if anyone has gone this route and had success? I'm wondering if the failure is typically in the part sold, or some part of the float arm assembly breaking (which wouldn't be fixed with the above part). I did see a DIY writeup on how to modify a different Dorman part for the LB7, but none of the pictures in the post work so I'm not too confident about going that route. I'd like to avoid paying $260 for a part if a $40 part will do the trick...

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
I've been looking up how to fix an inoperative fuel gauge (after an unsuccessful attempt to have the cluster repaired and buying a replacement) and I saw this on Amazon:

Curious if anyone has gone this route and had success? I'm wondering if the failure is typically in the part sold, or some part of the float arm assembly breaking (which wouldn't be fixed with the above part). I did see a DIY writeup on how to modify a different Dorman part for the LB7, but none of the pictures in the post work so I'm not too confident about going that route. I'd like to avoid paying $260 for a part if a $40 part will do the trick...
Researching that parts company leads me to believe that is a China-made part and hacking a factory sender to install that part may bring you more grief than it's worth in the end, in the form of electrical gremlins, trying to save $220 bucks and having to tear it all apart again.
I would just save up and replace the sender with an OE unit, knowing it was done right

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Researching that parts company leads me to believe that is a China-made part and hacking a factory sender to install that part may bring you more grief than it's worth in the end, in the form of electrical gremlins, trying to save $220 bucks and having to tear it all apart again.
I would just save up and replace the sender with an OE unit, knowing it was done right
Yeah, it looks a little sketchy. It's one of those things you never know unless you try, but it's definitely accepting a bit of risk. I figured I'd at least ask if anyone has done it - that way I have at least some frame of reference. But looking at that ad and not seeing any reviews leads me to believe it's not a popular option.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
02 2500HD LB7
94 Posts
I've replaced them on other vehicles but with OEM/ACDelco sensors. Figures for some stupid reason there is no OEM replacement of that sensor listed for our trucks, 2005 and newer they list.
If its still working somewhat, usually they just get dirty and some in tank cleaner might get them going again. The guys with seasonal toys have this issue and they swear by Chevron Techron.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts