Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has had any experience with throttle body spacers? I know that airaid and motorvation both manufacture them. I ran one on my 97 silverado 5.7 and felt a bit of improvment with regards to throttle response and low end. I know alot of gassers run them and are pleased but wouldn't have guessed that they would offer much improvment on a turbo diesel. Anyone have any experience with either of these or other products or have any opinions they would like to share??

chris

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Well, I was going to say pretty much the same thing last night, but I looked carefully at the forum listing and this IS only listed as: "Power and Performance" so even though it's pretty much diesel-dominated, the topic could include gassers. That all being said, Chaps, you might get more answers in the "-gassers" section than you will here. We doan need no steenkin throttle bodies in our diesel trucks!
Edited by: Idle_Chatter

·
Registered
369 Posts
I guess you could use it for an ash tray????????????????????????? won't do much on a truck with no throttle body.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
you could just add the sticker ......probably worth 20 rwhp

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Oh no, Sdaver, not the "sticker shock" issue again!!
Just let Peanut enjoy the holidays and don't poke that bear with a stick!

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Chaps is correct - they are offered for diesels. The claim is to add velocity and spin to the intake charge. I'd take that $90 and get a better air filter, and buy yourself a nice lunch...

Ty

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have no idea how that happened??? Ox must have invaded my webspace...

Ty

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
I ONLY USE STICKERS THAT DAVER DOESNT USE WHEN HES DOING A QUICKIE----------LOT MORE HP ADVANTAGE THAT WAY

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
chaps said:
Just curious if anyone has had any experience with throttle body spacers? I know that airaid and motorvation both manufacture them. I ran one on my 97 silverado 5.7 and felt a bit of improvment with regards to throttle response and low end. I know alot of gassers run them and are pleased but wouldn't have guessed that they would offer much improvment on a turbo diesel. Anyone have any experience with either of these or other products or have any opinions they would like to share??

chris
Chris, what they mean is a diesel doesn't have a throttle body. There isn't even a butterfly valve. The intake is one wide open pipe through the turbo and into the cylinders. All throttle control is by means of fuel injection. That's one of the reasons a diesel is more fule efficient.... no restrictions in the intake stream.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
hoot said:
Chris, what they mean is a diesel doesn't have a throttle body. There isn't even a butterfly valve. The intake is one wide open pipe through the turbo and into the cylinders. All throttle control is by means of fuel injection. That's one of the reasons a diesel is more fule efficient.... no restrictions in the intake stream.

Ah, but all EGR equipped trucks have a butterfly in their intakes!

Seriously though, not gonna do anything for a TD, and spinning the air won't help either...Edited by: Kennedy

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Kennedy said:

Can it be removed/modified? I just want the power GM promised me. I don't remember seeing the fine print that said CA trucks will suck in the power dept.

Paging.. Dr. Trippin to surgery...Dr. Trippin to surgery...your 03 CA truck is waiting for a CAT/EGR-ectomy.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Kennedy said:
I didn't know that. What controls it?

·
Registered
448 Posts
=kennedy

Seriously though, not gonna do anything for a TD, and spinning the air won't help either...

So the turbo dosent need any help there?
Edited by: a64pilot

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanx for the input guys, I am not talking about the effects on a gas motor I was just saying that I had run one before on a gas motor. I know there is no "throttle body" on a diesel but that is the term they are using when advertising them. Anyone who recieved the jan/feb 04 summit catalog will see what im talking about listed under diesel performance. I can't see them being a real benefit since the turbo will create its own vacume pressure and pull air in. I figured the only way to know for sure was to talk to someone who has used the product and it doesn't seem like anyone has. maybe thats a hint.....

put my 90$ towards and intake system

thanx guys

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
The butterfly is apparently used to create a pressure drop and enhance exhaust flow into the engine. I haven't studied it much as I don't have one here.

I've "altered" one so far, but it has to be here for me to do it...

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
The gassers try to spin to improve atomization on TBI engines. Of course, the new MFI engines (Vortec) don't have wet flow at the throttle body, but that doesn't stop the aftermarket from selling something you don't need...

I hear they can whistle too.Edited by: Kennedy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts