Diesel Place banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello .So I am currently running 235-85-16 tires on a 4.5" lifted 2wd 6.5 CCLB dually . I must say I love the current ride and the g80 rear gearing - I think 4.10s ????- is in the prefect RPM range at shift points in town and around 2700 RPMs at 75 mph more importantly I am able to stay in lockup all the time . With the lift added the 235s look real small in the wheel wells so I am toying with the idea of going to a bigger 255-85-16 tire , my concern now is that the bigger tire may cause issue with RPM trans lockup at highway speeds , MPGs no worries , any thoughts would be helpful . thanks All

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I dont have a 1 ton dually. But I do run 33" tires on truck in sig. No problems with lock up or shifting empty or loaded. Convertor is always locked by 50 MPH on level road.
The speedo will read slower than you are really going.
With 4.11 and taller tires your fuel MPG will most likely improve a little,

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not sure if this will help but I have a 2007 Dually with 3.73’s and I am currently running 255/85r16s. My truck locks up in 6’th right at 60 mph and about 1500 rpm. I think it would do better with 4.10s but GM didn’t really do that with Duramax’s.

I leveled the truck and I really like the look of the 255s. Functionality wise though for my gear ration I think the 235’s would probably be better. I have Fred’s 1.5” spacers for the rear to add when I get a minute.

I went with the Yokohama geolander mud terrains. Lots of positive reviews on these. Yokohama has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee so if you don’t like the tire they will refund you the full purchase price within 30 days.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies , You ever try to finagle stuff around your wife to get what you really want with her agreeing but her not really knowing what she is agreeing too ;) ? As luck would have it , I recently discovered that our 2019 Chevy express is needed new tires soon , all the sudden a light bulb went off , I could put the 235s off the dually on the express and go out and find some meaty tires for the dually which it doesn't need but I 've been wanting for , you know the thing - the thing ... BIDEN JOKE !!
I am not set on 255 just wanting to go as wide and tall as possible without having to re gear , currently running Alcoas 16"x 6" rear spacers are no problem, any recommendations ? thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.