Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had lots of play in my wheel for a couple months. I recently went from a 315/75/16 tire to a 36x14.50x16 tire. I now have a major viration. I think its all in the steering. I replaced the tie rod ends over the weekend. I still have the vibration. I noticed some play in the center link while I was changing out the ends. So, has onyone tackled this themselfs? How much are parts? Do they make aftermarket parts?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Know who sells them? I cant track any down at NAPA, Aut Tire and Parts or Autozone!

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I would have the tires checked for balance and out-of-roundness. Larger tires tend to be buggers.

You can check out of roundness yourself by parking on a hard smooth surface and jacking up one at a time each corner so the tire is just lifted off the ground. Maybe a 1/4 to 1/2" gap from the ground. Then spin the tire. Watch the gap. If it's more than 1/4" chnge as it spins this could be the problem.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have done that already. I spent 5 hours on her Saturday morning going from front to back looking over and re-torquing the lift. Checked the ball joints, tie rods, rear end, blocks, shocks, the whole nine yards. This is the only thing left. Had the tires balanced and trued 3 times now. Its not the tires. I cant get the vibration to move from the front end when I rotate the tires.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I had my SM, whos a friend check out my front end on Saturday. I had the same problem. Idler arms etc were all nice and tight. His best guess was the steering stabilizer shock. That was my guess too after checking out everything pervious to his check.

I wonder if Rancho has a setup or a shock for our application

Bill

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes they do. I had one. Sent it back. It didnt feel any different thatn stock. What problems are you experiencing? I feel like the whole front end it going to shake out at 58-62 mph!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Yes, I had my idler and pitman arms replaced.

Here's the story: I decided I should try a 4x4 launch one day just out of curiosity to see how much harder it would launch. I tacked it up to about 2 grand (I didnt know what I was doing at the time) and left off the brake and nailed it. It broke all 4 tires loose and hopped like crazy and bent the right side tie rod into a 45 degree angle.

I took it to the shop to get it fixed. After they checked stuff out they told me I had play in the steering wheel and that I needed new pitman and idler arms. So I trusted them and told them to put them on.

Came back to pick it up and they through a $300 bill at me just for the pitman and idler arms plus the labor to install them(not including the tierod or the labor for that)

I took the truck and it didn't drive any different than before.

So, I think I got good hosing on that one. There was still the same tiny amount of play in the wheel too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
When you jacked your front end up did you find any play/slack in your idler or pitman arm?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did find some lay in the idler arm. But, when one goes out, do they both go out?

·
Registered
128 Posts
1BADHD said:
I did find some lay in the idler arm. But, when one goes out, do they both go out?

Not nessecarily, but if your gonna replace one might as well replace the other. I still am not sure thats your problem. I guess with 36" tires it might cause more of a vibration problem than you would see with smaller tires. It sounds more like wheel bearing to me. Did you not feel alot of play in your wheels? Like alot of movement left to right when jacked (only the wheel/hub not the whole front end)? I just know that alot of vehicles that are lifted run into wheel bearing problems.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Maybe the rubber control arm bushings can't handle it?

Energy Suspension

·
Registered
845 Posts
Did you check the bolts that hold down the steering box. I mean this is a really hail mary shot, But a 88' 1 tonner we had, had this absolutely horrible shimmy when traveling above 50, Or when hitting a nasty pot hole. Ended up that the bolts would come loose to the steering box and just throw everything out of wack.

Another person mentioned here at this site that the only real way to balance a tire is by a "road force" balancer????? I think it was WhiteDuramax that mentioned it. I dont see what else it could be.

How long have you been running that wheel and tire setup?

Bill

·
Registered
692 Posts
the idler arm is easy to get out 2 bolte and the nut for the shaft on the end of the idler arm joint. the pitmen would require the gear box losned and positione back so you can gain access between the front diff and the front frame support. the center link is one unit from side to side. seen the center link on many truck get wear at the little rubber boot on each side (inner tie rod)..this can cause a virbration....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The bearings are good. No play in the hub. I thought it was my inner tie rods....I replaced them. I have went over evrything with a fine tooth comb. The idler arm is the only thing I can find play in. Someone else metioned the bushings. Its possible, but there are trucks WAY bigger that mine that have the stock bushings. I did check the uppers, the look great. The last time I went to have my tires balanced, I went to a place that had a HUNTER machine. I think they did do the force balance. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I have replaced the inner tie rods, outter ends, pitman and idler arms, rebalanced the tires 3 times, once road forced, and got and alignment. Still have the vibration. I am at a loss. It weird how it fades in and out. Its not constant. Also, get this, on a freshly paved road (asphalt) the vibration is worse and more noticable. It kinda sticks around, it dont fade in and out. Got any ideas? I am about ready to sell the tires, crank down, get a smaller block and go back to 33's!!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Don't know if this helps but I was talking to a guy over here about his 6" Pro Comp lift on a 2002 HD. He had the vibration problem you're talking about after installing 35's. He installed a slip yoke eliminator kit in the rear and all is good now. He also thought the vibration was coming from the front but it wasn't. Worth checking into.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would stop guessing and start measuring. An Electronic Vibration Analyzer would be the weapon of choice. From your description, I think you are feeling first and second orders of vibration. It's possible you are feeling a third order, but you would have to be traveling quite fast. Do you feel it in the seat? Is it low and rumbly? Or is it high and fast like a tool engraver? Once you measure the frequency and amplitude, the guessing is over and the repairs can begin. This is how I would approach this problem, Hope it helps.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is in the seat and feels worse on my passenger side. It is low and rumbly. So...........whats the problem>

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
What were your road force numbers on your tires?? You could try a set of tires that you know do not vibrate off of another vehicle to see if its the tires. I would guess that it is either tires or from the driveshaft. Might have to pull the shaft and have it checked.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts